Side Effects Of A Stay In A Philippine Hospital

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

A couple of weeks ago I was in hospital in Dumaguete.  I am fine now but I had previously posted:

One thing to note, my gf now has a bad cold or flu.   In the hospital they give patients antibiotics which I believe are meant to counter all the bacteria than saturate the Philippine hospitals.  They give nothing to the watchers so guess who are the ones to get sick. :-(

My partner got over that bad cold in a few days but now my partner is on the 3rd day of Chicken Pox spots.  She is 19 and never had chicken pox as a child so it is hitting her hard.  With the incubation period being 10 to 20 days I have no doubt she contracted it while watching over me in the hospital.  We know of no one else in our circle who has it.

Point is, the hospitals here are a cesspool of sickness.  In the hospital I saw rats, ants and mosquitoes in abundance and the cleaning was merely a sweep and a damp mop once a day. I saw lots of sick people with no effort to isolate them from the general hospital population and there were visitors coming and going all day.  I am disheartened by the thought that, if Ebola ever arrives here the hospitals will become death camps.  I hope I am exaggerating but my personal experience suggests it is inevitable.

• Like 4

jpbago
Posted
Posted
Point is, the hospitals here are a cesspool of sickness.  In the hospital I saw rats, ants and mosquitoes in abundance and the cleaning was merely a sweep and a damp mop once a day. I saw lots of sick people with no effort to isolate them from the general hospital population and there were visitors coming and going all day.  I am disheartened by the thought that, if Ebola ever arrives here the hospitals will become death camps.  I hope I am exaggerating but my personal experience suggests it is inevitable.

I saw the same in 3 hospitals here. Very dirty. Poverty is one thing but there is no reason to be dirty. The beds, furniture and walls are never cleaned. It really is all about money being more important than cleanliness. A virus here would be devastating.

Our girls both got chicken pox last June from a visit to Iloilo. Still got some dark spots. 

• Like 3

Call me bubba
Posted
Posted (edited)

off topic yet related to our & .our extended family(gf etc)

is be PROACTIVE in the vaccination

in the western world we have had our shots but here,...humm.... ( i have spoken)

1.would have a "MASK" had helped or more open of a room or air flow to reduce the chance of infection?

2, if a person had a slightly better diet or enhanced immune system(meaning taking of vitamins ) could this too reduce the chance of infection? 

3. more hand wash or use of "LYSOL" or other disinfectant could this help?

Edited by Pittman apartments Sgn
  • Like 2

RBM
Posted
Posted

A couple of weeks ago I was in hospital in Dumaguete.  I am fine now but I had previously posted:

One thing to note, my gf now has a bad cold or flu.   In the hospital they give patients antibiotics which I believe are meant to counter all the bacteria than saturate the Philippine hospitals.  They give nothing to the watchers so guess who are the ones to get sick. :-(

My partner got over that bad cold in a few days but now my partner is on the 3rd day of Chicken Pox spots.  She is 19 and never had chicken pox as a child so it is hitting her hard.  With the incubation period being 10 to 20 days I have no doubt she contracted it while watching over me in the hospital.  We know of no one else in our circle who has it.

Dave are you referring to Silliman Hospital?

I have encountered this in Holly Child how ever would expect better at Silliman

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
Dave are you referring to Silliman Hospital?   I have encountered this in Holly Child how ever would expect better at Silliman

Yes, I am referring to Silliman.  I was in the ER and then the old section (no rooms in the new section).  I expect much better in the new section but getting hard to get admitted there.  The rat was in the ER. .  HUGE it was, but the door is open 24/7 and bugs, rats and anything else are free to wander in and out. . . .  which leads me to a slightly off topic story which I shall relate for your reading pleasure:

Yesterday I thought I would try a different place for a one hour massage to help my lower back pain.  I went to Thai Boran across the street from Portal West Building (Aldea homes, Security Bank, Mercury Drugs all in there).  I had just sat down while the therapist went to fetch some water to wash my feet and a huge rat waddled by.  Thats it for me, I got up and went to claim my shoes and leave.  The clerk at the counter asked why.  I said foreigners do not like to lie down with rats.  She said, and I quote:  We have a rat problem because the Cake business next door uses their upstairs for storage and it is full of rats and they will do nothing about it and the rats come in here whenever they like.

I said:  Good for them but I won't.be coming back.

• Like 5

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
We have a rat problem because the Cake business next door uses their upstairs for storage and it is full of rats and they will do nothing about it and the rats come in here whenever they like.   I said:  Good for them but I won't.be coming back.

Since your massage was a no go; did you treat yourself to a cake next door? 

• Like 3

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

We have a rat problem because the Cake business next door uses their upstairs for storage and it is full of rats and they will do nothing about it and the rats come in here whenever they like.   I said:  Good for them but I won't.be coming back.

Since your massage was a no go; did you treat yourself to a cake next door? 

He had BBQ on a stick next door to the cakeshop

• Like 1

Alby
Posted
Posted

Damn! Do you mean that rat was BBQed! :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

Damn! Do you mean that rat was BBQed! :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well Alby obviously not the one running through the massage parlour

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

I had heard of putting your feet in a bowl of water and having fish massage your feet so maybe this is a case of putting your feet in a cake and having the rats massage your feet.  Nah.   Don't intend to try either one.

• Like 1