Side Effects Of A Stay In A Philippine Hospital

not so old china hand
Posted
Posted (edited)
Damn! Do you mean that rat was BBQed! :)

There have been reports on local social media of just that happening. BBQ lamb skewers are a popular roadside snacks in Beijing and, according to these reports, certain venders had been serving rat flavoured as lamb (I won't say how in case you are planning to eat after you read this). :(

However the meat and the flavouring were not the biggest problems. The rats had been poisoned with Warfarin - which has a number of unpleasant side effects.

To go back to the original point of the posting I wouldn't want to spend time in a hospital here either. I don't know about hygiene but overcrowding is certainly a problem and you have to pay up-front before they will even look at you in the ER.

Edited by not so old china hand

Alby
Posted
Posted

In my opinion, one could be served anything if he or she couldn't tell.

I tell my gf, how would you know if this beef was from a cow or a passing stray dog?

As for hospitals here ... Huh!

I bet you if you had to stay long enough in one of them you'd be worse than when you got admitted!

When you have corruption anything is possible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

robert k
Posted
Posted

I guess I will join in the off topic. I watched a documentary decades ago about a festival in Thailand where they harvested rats for eating. They were doing it on purpose. The rats eat the rice and people eat the rats. It's just a rodent like a rabbit is a rodent, if it's from a farm. I wouldn't want to eat a city rat though, nor a city pidgeon (flying rats), although I have eaten pidgeons taken from a barn, millet fed and delicious. I heard there is a law in France that rabbits for eating must be sold with the feet on so you can tell it's not a cat. Dormice with sesame, anyone? People can and will eat most anything. I heard that you can buy giant spider as snacks roadside in Cambodia.

• Like 1

earthdome
Posted
Posted
To go back to the original point of the posting I wouldn't want to spend time in a hospital here either. I don't know about hygiene but overcrowding is certainly a problem and you have to pay up-front before they will even look at you in the ER.

That may be true in many PH hospitals, but not all. When my wife tripped while jogging and cut her chin very badly I took her to the ER of a nice private hospital here in Baguio. It wasn't crowded and they started treatment immediately. The only talk regarding money was informing us of what the charges would be for different procedures. After treatment was done I was presented with a bill and directed towards the office where I could make payment.

• Like 1

MikeB
Posted
Posted

It's not really clear but by "here" I think he was referring to hospitals in China. Both private and public hospitals in the Philippines are required by law to treat all "serious" cases (outpatient basis) w/o demand for payment. That applies to doctors also. The penalties for non-compliance are severe.