Friend Looking To Buy A Car, Subic Area - Advice Sought

Methersgate
Posted
Posted

This is for K's friend Elizabeth -  she is 28, professional superyacht crew, very switched on young lady. Wants to buy a small car in Subic; has driven for some years but has never owned a car before.

She does not trust secondhand for all the usual reasons, but in terms of what she can afford she was looking at a new Chevvy Spark.  

I have made the following suggestions which may or may not be practical:

1. The Chevrolet Spark is actually a Daewoo. It is not well reviewed in the UK (bad handling, poor build quality).

2. If as is her intention she plans to rent out the car whilst she is at sea she would do better with a larger car as they are more attractive to hirers.

3. Haggle like fury.

4. Ask the dealers what cars they have taken in in part exchange and will they guarantee them?

5. Always take a test drive. Never make your mind up on the spot,. Always tell the dealer that there is another car that you are looking at.

6,> Ask the dealer if they have a demonstrator that they will sell 

7. |You should at least get 3 years LTO, a year's servicing and mats thrown in.

But I am not in Subic and have never bought a car in the Philippines!

Would be very grateful for advice that I can pass on..  

(she' s single - and not uncomely...)

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
I might be able to add something because I bought and own a used car in Subic, and I am thinking about buying a new Chevy Spin.

I don't know much about the Spark but they are popular and I think they get good mileage.  The nearest Chevy dealer is in San Fernando, about 50 km from Subic.  That is one of my concerns because RBM posted here about the Chevy warranty requiring all service to be done at the dealer.

You read about all the freebies on new cars, but look carefully.  Those are for financed cars, not cash sales.  And the financing here can be ridiculous.  I'm not sure about bargaining the price here.  Unlike the US, it appears that prices for a cash sale a fairly fixed and set by the manufacturer.  I hope I am wrong.

I bought a used 2009 Toyoto Avanza when we moved here in April 2013.  I think I got lucky because the low 19,000 it had on it appears to be true, based on wear and tear and the original tires that were on it.  It is a great car but missing creature comforts that I like, thus I'm thinking about the Spin.  If I get the Spin I will sell the Avanza.  I paid p390,000 for it and it appears that it has not lost much value, and has 41,000 km on it now.

• Like 3

robert k
Posted
Posted

I am sure there will be alot of different suggestions but bearing in mind possible rental and value for money, I'd pick the Suzuki APV. 1.6 liter engine. If an at least 10 year old chop chop multicab can sell for 40% of the cost of a brand new Suzuki, I think a never chopped and modified imported new one should do even better when it's 10 years old. 3 year -100k kilometer warantee 575k php base GA model. I doubt the higher grade models are really worth 40% to 50% more unless you absolutely must have an automatic transmission. It appears to be 820k php top of the line model.

If price is no object, Toyota Fortuner.

• Like 3

Methersgate
Posted
Posted

Thanks to both of you for very helpful information. I passed both of those postings back to her.

Price is an object as she plans to come to the UK to take her Master's Certificate in January so she is saving up for that.

I have said that if she plans to rent the car out the Suzuki is a much better bet than the small Chevvy.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
deevey
Posted
Posted

Buying a new car at the this close to the end of year is never a good idea from a resale point of view in the future, how long is she planning on leaving for ? 

• Like 1

Methersgate
Posted
Posted

Buying a new car at the this close to the end of year is never a good idea from a resale point of view in the future, how long is she planning on leaving for ? 

Very good point, which I had overlooked 

deevey
Posted
Posted (edited)

For the sake of a few months + however long she is away it kinda defeats the purpose of owning a new car doesn't it ? Unless rental is her primary reason for buying.

And renting a car is a whole other can of worms. For example if an insurance claim is ever made and she doesnt have a permit to operate a hire vehicle, and then theres the correct insurance policy to cover a hire vehice + any additional cash if they kill/maim someone or destroy a porsche and decide to skip the country fast ! 

Just things to consider.

Some other cars to consider however in the same kind of range as the spark might be the Suzuki Swift (price drop recently) Ford EcoSport or Suzuki Jimny.

The latter would be able to handle potholes a little better than a regular car which would result in less maintainace for a hire vehicle. 

As a rental vehicle though I'd honestly consider something like a used ford escape / foruner / pajero or something like that over a compact that cant handle rough handling, and you wont cry every time theres a new scratch. 

I know she's got the willies about buying used, but there are plenty of genuine deals to be had. A 3 or 4 year old bigger SUV gets you down to the price of a compact and theres lots out there that have only been ever used by soccer moms 3 times a week to do the shopping. I would never buy from a used car dealer though - EVER.

Edited by deevey
  • Like 1

Methersgate
Posted
Posted

Thanks; those are very good points. Will pass them on.

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

Drove my Bro-in-law's 2007 Hyundai Accent 1.5 turbo diesel from Subic to Baguio today and really liked it.  The engine has such great torque!  Went up Kennon Road and could pass easily First to Third gears.  Topped off the fuel before we left and it was barely off the Full mark when we arrived.

He only paid p250k and he has put just some maintenance money into it.  Still needs some suspension work but nothing major.

• Like 2

BluesDude
Posted
Posted

Drove my Bro-in-law's 2007 Hyundai Accent 1.5 turbo diesel from Subic to Baguio today and really liked it. The engine has such great torque! Went up Kennon Road and could pass easily First to Third gears. Topped off the fuel before we left and it was barely off the Full mark when we arrived.

He only paid p250k and he has put just some maintenance money into it. Still needs some suspension work but nothing major.

How long did it take you to drive from Subic to Baguio?

It's been a long time since my wife and I spent time there. Back in the day we used to get cabins in Camp John Hay just to get away and chill (literally). We even spent part of our honeymoon there in the "Honeymoon Cabin". The last time I was there I was flown in to photograph the devastation caused by a terrible earthquake. I think that was either in 1989 or 1990. It completely collapsed some buildings including the old Hyatt Regency. Quite a few folks perished.

• Like 1