Friend Looking To Buy A Car, Subic Area - Advice Sought

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
How long did it take you to drive from Subic to Baguio?

We made one stop for 20 minutes and our total time was about 4 hours.  You can take the expressways all the way to Rosales now, then you have to get off and get back on MacArthur (National) Highway.  It was a bit less than 2 hours on the expressway to Rosales, averaging around 100-110 kph.

The next section of expressway past Rosales has a long bridge being built over the Agno river area, so it takes longer.  When they get the last sections open you will be able to take it all the way to Rosario.

I came home on Victory Liner.  81/2 hours!  Ouch!  They no longer have an express bus so it goes most of the way on MacArthur clear down to San Fernando.

• Like 2

robert k
Posted
Posted

Buying a new car at the this close to the end of year is never a good idea from a resale point of view in the future, how long is she planning on leaving for ?

If you hold a car for 5 years it's probably depreciated as much as it's going to do in rapid fashion. After that l think condition plays a bigger part in it's value than year model. I have been able to negotiate deals on a new car at end of year or new but last years model so whatever you might lose in depreciation you get back on the front end if you pay cash and even more with the insane rates for finance because you borrow less. There is an art to buying cars, new or used. For 500 piso someone at one dealership might show you exactly what the dealer paid for a car, destination and other charges and you could take that knowledge to the next dealer with a take a reasonable profit or watch money walk out the door. Think outside the box. In any business deal, knowledge is power.
  • Like 2

MikeB
Posted
Posted

I wouldn't necessarily rule out buying a good used car in the Philippines. They're out there. If you have a good mechanic on your side and time and patience it can be done. If I can do it anyone can.

• Like 1