English Pounds

RBM
Posted
Posted

Few years ago bought a stack of English pounds for a trip. For once had money left over....

Just left them in my safety deposit box and last 4----5 years basically forgot about them

Recently tried to cash some and was told by a couple of money changes as they were issued before 2010 they are unable to cash them. Have around 800£ all like new and all 50s.

Guess only way is to change in a western country or perhaps somebody has knowledge where they can be cashed. Thanks in advance.

Methersgate
Posted
Posted

£50 notes are regarded with suspicion by most cashiers anyway as there was a period when they were forged.

The only place that I can think of to try would be HSBC in Makati.

• Like 1

RBM
Posted
Posted

£50 notes are regarded with suspicion by most cashiers anyway as there was a period when they were forged.

The only place that I can think of to try would be HSBC in Makati.

Thanks, currently in Cebu, there is a branch here. Will pop in tomorrow and talk to them.

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

Recently tried to cash some and was told by a couple of money changes as they were issued before 2010 they are unable to cash them. Have around 800£ all like new and all 50s.

The Bank of England Changed the 10, 20, and 50 Pound Notes in 2010/2011 to thwart Forging and Money Laundering. Your time limit will have well gone now for an Exchange out of the UK. I doubt if even the HSBC will be of any Assistance as it is the Bank of Englands ruling

on the  Lapsed Exchange Date.

JP :tiphat:

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
The Bank of England Changed the 10, 20, and 50 Pound Notes in 2010/2011 to thwart Forging and Money Laundering

That sounds like something the Philippines tried.  They said some years back that the old notes would only be worth anything for a couple years but I see the old Philippine notes are still in circuation.  As soon as the Banko Sentro can get away with saying your time limits are up and your money is worthless then they are sure to so that.  Not something I would have expected from a first world country though.  By that I mean I understand changing the notes to make them less easy to counterfeit but telling the banks they are worthless now does not sit well with me.

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

By that I mean I understand changing the notes to make them less easy to counterfeit but telling the banks they are worthless now does not sit well with me.

No Dave they are not telling banks they are worthless, They will only do an exchange in the UK now, After they have confirmed that it is genuinely RBM's money and not the proceeds of crime prior to 2010/2011. The bank notes will be Honoured but only in the UK. they will ask, why leave it as long as this. RBM has a genuine case here of course but that will not sit with any other bank. Only the bank of England can/will make the Exchange, although it could be done with one of the High Street Banks, but as I say, only in the UK

Hope this clears things up for all.

JP

Methersgate
Posted
Posted

There is a system for exchaning notes after the date. See here:

http://www.bankofengland.co.uk/banknotes/pages/about/exchanges.aspx

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

RBM please find link to BOE, it may help you to find out if your notes are valid and certainly will help you to find out about Exchange.

http://www.bankofengland.co.uk/banknotes/Pages/withdrawn/default.aspx

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted

and here I was all happy about finding 50 peso note in my other shorts :cheersty:

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

There is a system for exchaning notes after the date. See here:

:thumbsup:  Great minds think alike. Between the 2 links, RBM should be able to get sorted. :)

• Like 1