Buying A Motorbike In Manila

afathertobe
Posted
Posted

Not sure if this is the right sub-forum, please move if not. 

After getting a bit frustrated with the difficulty of getting a taxi around Pasig/Taguig and generally being a bike guy anyway, I started looking into a bike when there. 

Nothing too big, but not a scooter either, some 250cc Honda CB or similar would do. A comfortable chopper would be ok too, am not vain enough to need something flashy and I've ridden plenty of fast bikes in the past to know how dangerous they can be with a hothead like me. I'd also try to avoid getting an imported bike, for replacement parts reasons. 

I couldn't find too much on the interwebs so far, does anyone here own a bike in Manila and would be kind enough to let me in with some info? 

I assume an international drivers license will do, and that bike registration happens with the purchase through an agent? Does a second-hand bike have to be re-registered or can I just drive off and pay a yearly bike insurance of sorts? Anything to look out for, ideas where to look for bikes?

Thanks 

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted

Almost too easy Afa.........with out trying hard I can think of 4 dealers within 5 minute walk of my place. 2 large and 2 smaller dealers. Easy to spot, they have lots of scooters and bikes parked in front of them. New or used. You can either take the paperwork to the LTO yourself, or pay a small fee to the dealer and let them take care of it.

• Like 1

Thomas
Posted
Posted

Almost too easy Afa.........with out trying hard I can think of 4 dealers within 5 minute walk of my place. 2 large and 2 smaller dealers. Easy to spot, they have lots of scooters and bikes parked in front of them. New or used. You can either take the paperwork to the LTO yourself, or pay a small fee to the dealer and let them take care of it.

But don't motorbikes have same problem as cars?

=It take long time normaly to get the licence plates and before that you are not allowed to drive it (except direct home from the dealer.)   

Many Filipins don't bother and drive anyway   :)   but much biger risk police bother to give tickets to us foreigners...   :(

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
I assume an international drivers license will do, and that bike registration happens with the purchase through an agent? Does a second-hand bike have to be re-registered or can I just drive off and pay a yearly bike insurance of sorts? Anything to look out for, ideas where to look for bikes?

First, I do not know if Manila is like Cebu and Dumaguete and some other provinces but it makes sense that it is, in which case you can buy a second hand bike, get the seller to give you a notarized bill of sale, and so long as he has the bike already registered and current then you just drive away.

When the registration expires you have to renew it and you may want to put it in your own name but I have ridden bikes that I purchased and did not register for years.  I just pay the annual fee to the LTO and leave it in the other guy's name.  I have gone through police checks and shown the paperwork and they do not care whose name it is in so long as you have paid and so long as you have a driver's licence.

A license that is valid in your home country (if written in English) is legal for the first 3 months of your stay.  Some cops don't know their own laws so you may have to prove that but it is true.  You may need to keep a copy of your passport showing arrival date for the few cops who do know the law.

• Like 1

deevey
Posted
Posted

I assume an international drivers license will do

Converting your licence in the LTO office should only take about an hour, assuming you have driving of motorcycles on it originally - just make sure they know you want to drive one.

RBM
Posted
Posted

A Fathertobe, I have been riding both large and trail motorcycles here for a number of years.

Your post does not state your riding experience in Asia, if as seems likely its very limited I would advise caution. Riding here, regardless of western riding experience is risky at best. try to mix with some expats whom have bikes, get advice before buying and riding.

The whole mindset of riders....drivers..... in this country varies considerably from the west. Only being on the road can you fully appreciate this. 

Worth checking out (depending your budget) is the little serow 250, I have the older model as a city  run a bout and currently in the process of upgrading it to the new model.

Fee free to PM me if I can help in any way.

• Like 4

jon1
Posted
Posted

Riding a motorcycle in Manila may seem a better way to get around but it is probably not a smart thing to do. It seemed to me that I would see at least weekly a scooter accident and the result was never pretty. I did ride my big bike there for a couple of years, survived an accident and still ride (just not in Manila). 

Here is an older article that you might find interesting http://travel.cnn.com/explorations/play/10-most-adrenaline-fueled-activities-asia-397518

This is from 3 years ago. Every year it seems like the vehicles and motorcycles on the road keeps expanding exponentially. 

• Like 1

Methersgate
Posted
Posted (edited)

I would definitely go for a smaller bike. The speeds are much lower than you will be used to (yes, even in China!) and the roads even more crowded and there is a huge premium on manoeuvrability. I rented a Kawasaki Barako (175 simple single) in Mindanao and it was more than enough, two up.

UK bike is BMW K75 - big tall heavy thing but brilliant for just covering miles at speed. Would be useless in the Philippines!

Edited by Methersgate
  • Like 1

robert k
Posted
Posted

In Manila I would take a taxi if you are where they are readily available. If a taxi driver thinks you are new, or that you can't walk 10 meters to another taxi, they can become piratical. +1 on above, maneuverability at low speeds is really desirable here. I enjoy riding out in the province, will gladly get entirely off the road for a Ceres bus if it seems warranted, although Ceres busses seem to run a lot slower than they did last year, but how long can that last? Had I been on a motorcycle today I would have stepped off of it and let it drop and walked away because the motorcycle would have been backed over whether I was on it or not.

• Like 1

Thomas
Posted
Posted
I would definitely go for a smaller bike. The speeds are much lower than you will be used to (yes, even in China!) and the roads even more crowded and there is a huge premium on manoeuvrability.
Yes. The speed limit at some HIGHWAYS are only 60 so not much use of a more speedy bike,

but it can be convinient to have a STRONG enough one to get uphill mountains   :mocking:

• Like 1