Buying A Motorbike In Manila

Methersgate
Posted
Posted

I would definitely go for a smaller bike. The speeds are much lower than you will be used to (yes, even in China!) and the roads even more crowded and there is a huge premium on manoeuvrability.
Yes. The speed limit at some HIGHWAYS are only 60 so not much use of a more speedy bike,

but it can be convinient to have a STRONG enough one to get uphill mountains   :mocking:

The Barako was great for that - gearing was quite low (they use them - with an even lower gearing - to pull trikes in Pagadian, which is not exactly flat!), nd it had good "single fourstroke" torque. 

• Like 1

robert k
Posted
Posted

...but you asked about motorcycles and l presume it's for short term use. I would look at the Kawasaki Rouser 180 as it appears to be a bargain currently and is rated at about 50% more power than the general, run of the mill 125-150cc offerings.

• Like 1

RBM
Posted
Posted

UK bike is BMW K75 - big tall heavy thing but brilliant for just covering miles at speed. Would be useless in the Philippines!

Actually Andrew I would respectfully disagree here.

It depends on your particular area. One of my toys is S 10 1200, one of the largest and heaviest bikes available here.  In Negros there are many areas where I can safely travel at speed. Also Bohol is a favourite plus riding in Mandanao offers many opportunities.

As for anybody riding here without experience its of course a death wish, regardless of bike size.

For me, the biggest problem is the little XRM guys,  when in groups they buzz one like fly's....Whats ever in their heads I don"t know. When one stops at the lights they are all around determined to drag.....I usually just exercise self control and let them go, how ever its extremely annoying. Just last Sunday returning from the hot springs here there was a group of them from Bacolod, determined to over take regardless of on coming vehicles, total lunacy.

afathertobe
Posted
Posted (edited)

I should have perhaps stated that I have been riding bikes in almost every country I visited in Asia for the last 13 years, which off the top of my hat includes Thailand, Laos, Cambodia, China of course, Philippines, Taiwan, Bali and some place I've forgotten about. Done tens of thousands of KM in South East Asia, and don't find the traffic in the Philippines particularly intimidating. In fact riding around Cebu island felt a lot safer than my daily commute in Beijing, China. Much slower, more predictable traffic, less road rage.

That Kawasaki Rouser 180 looks ok, though I'm not sure how comfortable the riding position is. Any other recommendation?

The prices on here seem incredibly low, as little as 50k PHP for a Japanese-branded (locally assembled I assume) 125cc bike:

http://ph.priceprice.com/motorcycle/?area=NCR-Metro-Manila-66

Edited by afathertobe
  • Like 1

RBM
Posted
Posted

I should have perhaps stated that I have been riding bikes in almost every country I visited in Asia for the last 13 years, which off the top of my hat includes Thailand, Laos, Cambodia, China of course, Philippines, Taiwan, Bali and some place I've forgotten about. Done tens of thousands of KM in South East Asia, and don't find the traffic in the Philippines particularly intimidating. In fact riding around Cebu island felt a lot safer than my daily commute in Beijing, China. Much slower, more predictable traffic, less road rage.

That Kawasaki Rouser 180 looks ok, though I'm not sure how comfortable the riding position is. Any other recommendation?

The prices on here seem incredibly low, as little as 50k PHP for a Japanese-branded (locally assembled I assume) 125cc bike:

http://ph.priceprice.com/motorcycle/?area=NCR-Metro-Manila-66

Yes this changes the whole  situation completely. Now its just a matter of what to buy.

As suggested the rouser should be fine, they also have excellent fuel economy. I mentioned the serow as would give you some off road capabilities. Maybe also take a look at the KLX 150,cheaper,  there are some amazing off road rides here. 

Cebu island is a nice ride with some good viewing,. Just one has to be careful in and around the city, how ever having rode in Beijing.

• Like 1