Why Philippines?

afathertobe
Posted
Posted

Traffic and the way people drive. Ironically, the drivers are actually extremely good with their depth perception and spatial skills. Unfortunately, they drive like they're in a NASCAR race...never mind that there is an ocean of vehicles. Fatal crashes happen often.

That is what I think, too.  I found, living in China after the Philippines, that China is very different - Chinese drivers seem to have negligible depth perception and spatial skills, but are (mostly) more cautious, although they, too, pay scant attention to traffic rules (both countries imported their traffic rules from the USA).

I was just going to write the same after reading the above. Personally I much prefer a somewhat looser interpretation of traffic laws if it's combined with generally good driving skills, much more predictable and thus less dangerous for a biker like me. I know how dangerous the roads in the Philippines and Thailand can be, but China (Beijing) is the worst.

• Like 1

Methersgate
Posted
Posted
Personally I much prefer a somewhat looser interpretation of traffic laws if it's combined with generally good driving skills, much more predictable and thus less dangerous for a biker like me. I know how dangerous the roads in the Philippines and Thailand can be, but China (Beijing) is the worst.

I was a biker in Beijing: I know exactly what you mean! 

Kuya John
Posted
Posted
(both countries imported their traffic rules from the USA).

Whooooo Meth's might be treadding on thin ice there :morning1:

You mean they drive on the wrong side of the road (sorry the right side of the road ) :mocking:

robert k
Posted
Posted

Of course in the Philippines it's the might makes right side of the road. I will get entirely off the road for a Ceres bus or cane truck  if the situation looks like it's warranted. Whether l could win the discussion afterward on who has right of way, l couldn't win the sheet metal argument.

• Like 1