Begging = P500 Fine Plus Two To Four Years In Jail.

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

A retiree sometimes has to make his own fun

:hystery:  YET! you think "I" have wayyyyyyyyyy to much time on my hands  :dance:  Gottcha matey  :rolleyes: Of course it keeps us off the streets where we could do real damage if let loose.

JP

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted
You can't claim to be an agnostic or atheist. Too difficult to explain if asked.

Yeah, no kidding!  When we were getting married the clerk at City Hall was confused by my religion answer "none".  One of the other clerks said something in Ilongo about  about foreigners... (Can't translate it but it sounded like baka baka foreigners baka baka)  and it was all ok ha ha     :tiphat:

Americano
Posted
Posted

I do not give to beggars, with a single exception.  There is one lady here in town who begs, and I honestly believe she has no other choice (perhaps retarded).  One day I was having lunch and noticed her just down the street sitting on the sidewalk.  She was eating some rice.  As usual, the stray dogs came over to see if they could beg/steal some of her food.  In the entire year that I have been here, this is the first time that I have seen ANYONE show kindness to these stray dogs.  She gave them affection, pets, and then a portion of her own food.  Nearly brought tears to my eyes to see someone so destitute, show such kindness.  Now, when I see her, I do not wait for her to come to me and ask.  I walk over and put the coins in her hand.  

A very touching story but are you sure she didn't know you were watching so she knew how to trick you???  After you are here a few years you will become more cautious of who you believe or fall for their tricks.  My advice is do not trust anyone until you know them for a few years.

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted

I do not give to beggars, with a single exception.  There is one lady here in town who begs, and I honestly believe she has no other choice (perhaps retarded).  One day I was having lunch and noticed her just down the street sitting on the sidewalk.  She was eating some rice.  As usual, the stray dogs came over to see if they could beg/steal some of her food.  In the entire year that I have been here, this is the first time that I have seen ANYONE show kindness to these stray dogs.  She gave them affection, pets, and then a portion of her own food.  Nearly brought tears to my eyes to see someone so destitute, show such kindness.  Now, when I see her, I do not wait for her to come to me and ask.  I walk over and put the coins in her hand.

A very touching story but are you sure she didn't know you were watching so she knew how to trick you???  After you are here a few years you will become more cautious of who you believe or fall for their tricks.  My advice is do not trust anyone until you know them for a few years.

Wow, where to start and what to say? I have said no to the filthy little girl holding the baby with the cleft palette, no to the man with a stump for an arm, no to the man being led by the child because he may, or may not, be blind. I have said no to an army of street kids with their ragged clothes and sad eyes. I was not born yesterday sir, have an IQ well north of 140, supervised departments, and wrote computer applications. Was I fooled or deceived? Well nothing in life is certain except death. Whether I was de ieved or not, I did the RIGHT thing for me. You may have done differently. That is your right. I hope I never become so jaded that I would wait until I had known a person "for a couple years" before I thought they were worthy of help.

• Like 1

Thomas
Posted
Posted

I will "solve" it by settlling rural. There everyone know everyone, so if I know one (reliable) in a village, then I know them all  :)

I'm for "Help-to-self-help" so it's good to know who are worth trying to assist develop,

as well as if any to old or disabled to work don't have relatives assisting them.

A notable thing:   There are street kids in cities, but not rural...    (At least I have never seen any.)

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted

I will "solve" it by settlling rural. There everyone know everyone, so if I know one (reliable) in a village, then I know them all  :)

I'm for "Help-to-self-help" so it's good to know who are worth trying to assist develop,

as well as if any to old or disabled to work don't have relatives assisting them.

A notable thing:   There are street kids in cities, but not rural...    (At least I have never seen any.)

I agree with you Thomas, that is how it is in the little town of Moalboal where we live.  Does not feel quite so remote as they just opened a small mall and a McDonalds last month.