Begging = P500 Fine Plus Two To Four Years In Jail.

frosty (chris)
Posted
Posted

Went to the beach here one time with friends and a group of urchins came to our hut as we were about to leave asking for money, we gave them all our left over food, still in containers and all the cool drink and snacks that we were going to take home, when we had packed up and starting to go, we got told politely to f.....k off.

Maybe they already ate.

Yeah maybe you are right, our bad, but my mate's filipina wife gave them a mouthful, she wasn't too happy to hear that kind of language being spoken in front of her 2 young daughters, but some people seem to  think it is ok :th_unfair:

• Like 1

JJReyes
Posted
Posted (edited)

I was trying to be funny with my, "Maybe they already ate." comment.

We encountered a similar situation in California with an emancipated looking man near a freeway ramp. He was holding a sign, "Homeless veteran. Please help!" My sister-in-law offered him a sandwich through the window. He glared at her and said, "I only accept money."

More recently, a reporter videotaped a scam in Los Angeles. A young woman who appeared to be pregnant was at a street corner with a little boy. Her sign asked for help. Lots of motorists were giving her money. Two hours later, someone passed by using a late model Mercedes Benz to pick them up. There was a confrontation the next day. She no longer looked pregnant. The woman first denied it was her on the video. She then switched to Spanish with the reporter, who was Hispanic and the reporter tried to continue the interview. The man who drove the Mercedes Benz appears and they switch to another language. I suspect they were gypsies speaking in Romano. Police is now looking for them because the boy was of school age.

Edited by JJReyes
  • Like 1

Americano
Posted
Posted

Went to the beach here one time with friends and a group of urchins came to our hut as we were about to leave asking for money, we gave them all our left over food, still in containers and all the cool drink and snacks that we were going to take home, when we had packed up and starting to go, we got told politely to f.....k off.

My wife and I are very giving people.  We mostly give to her relatives but we give to beggars sometimes too.  One thing I can't stand is when you give to someone and they don't appreciate it.  This seems to be very wide spread in the Philippines because a lot of Filipinos believe that if a close relative has more money than them then they are required to share it with them.  My wife has told her brothers, sisters, nephew, and a cousin at least 100 times that she helps them because she wants to, that she is not their parent, she did not make them and therefore they are not her responsibility.  I don't know if what she told them sunk in but maybe it did last month when she cut off all money going to them for lying to her.  We were sending them money for a daily allowance, transportation to school, and for school projects.  Now they are working to earn the money which is better for them any way.  If you give too much you only teach people to become dependent on others and not try to support themselves. I was only 15 when I got my first job working 6 days a week and continued going to school until I graduated.  In America a lot of kids work their way through college but in the Philippines I think most students expect a relative to pay for everything.

Most real beggars seem to appreciate any amount of money you give them but when one turns down food it makes you wonder why do they only want money.

• Like 5

Call me bubba
Posted
Posted

here is another article that was posted

http://www.philippines-expats.com/topic/17946-no-more-begging-in-manila/

thanks TUKARAM

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

Anyone experienced carolers? The show up at your gate unannounced to sing out of tune until you hand their leader money. Someone marks your post with chalk. Now known for your generosity, another group shows up the next evening. I wonder if the Mendicancy Law applies? The caroler are out on the street begging for money.

• Like 1

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

Carolers don't bother me.  Our gate is shut and I have headphones.  :tiphat:

• Like 1

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
Anyone experienced carolers? The show up at your gate unannounced to sing out of tune until you hand their leader money

JJ, that is where I learned the term "patatawarren" (spelled phonetically lol). I have been told it basically means "I gave at the office" :hystery: . It works and they go away with some sullen looks. Use it also on street beggars at times.

1st xmas I thought it was kind of cute, hand out a coin or two. 2nd xmas got old, once they stated singing, I waited till they were done then gave them booming rendition "god rest ye merry gentleman" then held my hand out for them to give me money. The looks on their faces was priceless.

This year I am gonna listen to them and when there are done, line them all up against the wall, pretend to take their picture with a  cell phone, give them a coin and tell them that's it for the year, don't come back, and see if they do. :mocking:

A retiree sometimes has to make his own fun :no: .

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

A retiree sometimes has to make his own fun  .

Members of this forum has a good sense of humor. Sometimes a little bit caustic, but funny.

Americano
Posted
Posted (edited)

Lining them up against the wall sounded like you were going to eliminate the problem but it all turned out good.

Anyway, I live in a compound with locked gates and I'm on the second floor so if someone on the first floor wants to entertain the carolers its fine with me.

My wife and I do not celebrate Christmas so their caroling has nothing to do with us.  It would be like me doing some kind of strange chant outside their door and expecting them to give money to me.

Edited by Americano

JJReyes
Posted
Posted (edited)

My wife and I do not celebrate Christmas so their caroling has nothing to do with us.  It would be like me doing some kind of strange chant outside their door and expecting them to give money to me.

Good one. One strategy is to claim you are Buddhist, Muslim or Jewish. Christmas carols are offensive. You can't claim to be an agnostic or atheist. Too difficult to explain if asked.

Edited by JJReyes
  • Like 1