Moving From Thailand To The Philippines.....?

Methersgate
Posted
Posted

There are also different rules in different zones eg a business in the Subic Freeport Zone may be 100% foreign owned.

expatriot
Posted
Posted

A lot of valuable info for which I would like to thank you all very much.

Sure it is a good idea to visit first before taking "definite" steps.

Thanks again.

Any one has experience with other countries in Asia to compare with Thailand? like Laos, Cambodia, Vietnam?

Boy from OZ...... I am very curious of how you will experience your move from Isaan to Philippines.

Please keep me informed.

Call me bubba
Posted
Posted

One of his common comments is The Thais seem to be far more mercenary than Filipinos.

could you explain this more?

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
There are also different rules in different zones eg a business in the Subic Freeport Zone may be 100% foreign owned.

Interesting, How is this Possible? If I may Ask?

JP :tiphat:

BrettGC
Posted
Posted

I feel a lot safer wandering around at night in major metro areas in Thailand than I do in The Philippines.  That could just be a familiarity thing though, I've spent a lot more time overall in Thailand in shorter stints over the years, but my individual stays in PH have been been longer. 

• Like 1

jon1
Posted
Posted

Interesting, How is this Possible? If I may Ask?

JP :tiphat:

Typically, it is a branch office of a foreign company. They do not produce anything in country but outsource processes for the parent company (i.e. IT, Accounting, etc.). This requires an investment of $30,000 that will be injected into the local economy (jobs, rent, etc.) plus all of the fees (SEC registration, etc.).

Another way is to open a call center for a foreign company. I have also seen a business http://www.classicspeedinc.com/ up in Clark (I believe it is 100% foreign owned) that imports vehicles for customization and exports upon completion. Local jobs are generated and the vehicles are not put into the local economy. 

So basically, you can setup a business that provides local jobs and money injected into the local economy, just not products.

JJReyes
Posted
Posted (edited)

Check the Philippine Board of Investment for ways to set up a 100% foreign owned business and qualify for special visas. Depending on the total investment and number of Philippine employees, the business can be issued several visas for managers and technical personnel.

There is also the Export Processing Zone Authority (EPZA). Subic is one of the zones. You need to locate the office or manufacturing within a zone. Certain buildings in Metro Manila, Metro Cebu, etc. used for business process outsourcing (call centers) also qualify.

By the way, Thailand likewise has a Board of Investment with requirements similar to the Philippines

Edited by JJReyes

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

Depending on the total investment and number of Philippine employees, the business can be issued several visas for managers and technical personnel.

So we are not talking your average forum member here then setting up a 100% owned business. On has to Wonder though why large companies have not done this before.

I would ask what the catch is and could almost 100% say there would have to be? no Doubt, this is where the China effect comes in?

JP :unsure:

JJReyes
Posted
Posted (edited)

'JJReyes', on 23 Nov 2014 - 7:01 PM, said: Depending on the total investment and number of Philippine employees, the business can be issued several visas for managers and technical personnel.   So we are not talking your average forum member here then setting up a 100% owned business. On has to Wonder though why large companies have not done this before.   I would ask what the catch is and could almost 100% say there would have to be? no Doubt, this is where the China effect comes in?

You are correct that it might not be for the typical forum member, but visas is one of the popular topics. One should explore all possibilities.

There are different BOI & EPZA categories ranging from manufacturing to IT. The aim is to provide employment to as many people as possible. You don't have to have a substantial investment to qualify in certain situations. I know someone who is something like a broker for animation companies. The cells are done in the Philippines (approximately 25,000 artists are employed in this industry) because of the lower cost. The work is contractual and artists are called in whenever work is available. There are three foreigners in their office and the Philippine full-time support staff is only six. The BOI gave approval based on the total anticipated man-hours needed to complete two full length animation films which this person presented with his business plan.

By the way, nearly all those Dell, Marvel, etc. comic books are produced in the Philippines. The storyboards and captions are done in the United States, but the production drawings are done in the Philippines.

Edited by JJReyes
  • Like 1

jon1
Posted
Posted (edited)
So we are not talking your average forum member here then setting up a 100% owned business.

The $30,000 I previously mentioned was annually has to be injected into the local economy. Some types of companies require as much as $200,000 annually. It is all about what niche you are trying to leverage also. Some types of companies have to be 60% locally owned. It is also highly recommended to have a Philippine Lawyer on retainer to fend off any problems from the regulatory end. Like JJ referred to, the Board of Investment lists out the types of businesses http://investphilippines.gov.ph/incentives/board-of-investments/

Another good read http://www.gtalawphil.com/FAQ.htm 

Edited by jon1
  • Like 1