Moving From Thailand To The Philippines.....?

expatriot
Posted
Posted

Thanks afathertobe,

I will surely do a test run first when I get to that point......

Should prabably be a test run of a couple of months to discover the diversity of the islands I assume.....?

afathertobe
Posted
Posted (edited)

I don't know if an extended travelling period will really give you a good feel of how it would be to live in a place, rather the opposite I'm afraid.

I have just recently discovered how great travelling the Philippines on a motorbike is. Really, really good fun, nice people, good and cheap beer, charming women and so forth... no negatives there, I haven't had as much fun exploring, travelling in a country for a long time, about a decade I think. But living in a place, getting internet, papers, registrations, appartment and so forth sorted will probably be a better test for long time endurance than just looking at the nice sides of the Phils.

If I were free of family obligations (hence my name) I would probably still give Thailand an edge with regards to living and working in a Asian country, but not for travelling/extended holidays. Again, just my subjective, rather unsubstantiated take on the matter, others might disagree. But your plan to leave Thailand because of the hassles of dealing with locals and relocate to the Philippines sort of rang my warning bell.

Edited by afathertobe
  • Like 5

BrettGC
Posted
Posted

I guess Frosty (Chris) said it best a few months ago, and I'm paraphrasing here:  "Arrive, obtain a visa extension upon arrival, if you like it, extend for another 3 months, if you like it again, extend again".  It's definitely not for everyone, but some love it and wouldn't leave for anything.  You can to visa extensions in PH, without leaving the country, for up to 3 years now,  unlike Thailand where the departure is much more frequent.  I think the thing that still attracts me to Thailand is the fact a farang (kano) can own property (land) outright, unlike The Philippines.  So much to weigh up on both sides and at the end of the day, it's an individual decision.  

There's a thread that pretty much sums it up for many of us Expatriot:  http://www.philippines-expats.com/topic/20673-why-philippines/

• Like 1

Thomas
Posted
Posted

So we are not talking your average forum member here then setting up a 100% owned business.

The $30,000 I previously mentioned was annually has to be injected into the local economy. Some types of companies require as much as $200,000 annually. It is all about what niche you are trying to leverage also. Some types of companies have to be 60% locally owned. It is also highly recommended to have a Philippine Lawyer on retainer to fend off any problems from the regulatory end. Like JJ referred to, the Board of Investment lists out the types of businesses http://investphilippines.gov.ph/incentives/board-of-investments/

Another good read http://www.gtalawphil.com/FAQ.htm

Yes, but there exceptions, with chance to lower demands of investment for "EXPORT business" as the "small print" in jon1's links say.  I have made it biger:     :)

Q. Can a foreign investor be allowed to own a 100% of a business entity?

GTALAW. Yes, one hundred percent (100%) foreign equity may be allowed in all areas of investments under the Foreign Investments Act (FIA) except financial institutions and those included in the Regular Foreign Investment Negative List (FINL). However, for a company that will do business locally or for domestic market, it is mandatory that the minimum amount of investment should be US$200,000.00 if foreign ownership is more than 40% to 100%.

Q. Is there an exemption to the minimum capital investment of US$200,000.00 if the investor would like to own 100% of the company but only invests a minimal amount?

GTALAW. Yes, there is an exemption. You can apply for an exemption from the Foreign Investment Act at the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC), preferably upon the filing of your application for Incorporation, whenever your business is considered an export market enterprise - an enterprise wherein a manufacturer, processor or service (including tourism) enterprise exports sixty percent (60%) or more of its output,  or wherein a trader purchases products domestically or exports sixty percent (60%) or more of such purchases. But you have to submit a detailed business plan including the outline of your business targets and projections.

I didn't know tourism is counted to "export". This make MORE options than I had thought of.

I haven't read what they demand of PROOF to show they find it being a minimum 60 % export business. THAT part I wonder   :)

(If chosing a business, which isn't "export business", I have described more detailed in some other topics an idea how it can be solved RATHER good by leting a FOREIGN company owe the equipment/give loan, then it isn't so important if Filipins owe the majority of the SMALL rest     :)

Thomas
Posted
Posted
Many things that I found fairly easy and straight-forward to deal with in Thailand as a foreigner with only basic knowledge in Thai seem to be difficult and unpredictable in the Phils. Generally things run just a notch smoother in Thailand, the bureaucracy isn't quite as bad, it's more of a service-oriented economy with a high degree of foreign investment and business expertise in many areas. I spent more time in the North of Thailand than the North-East, but would rate Thailand as one of the easiest countries to live in in Asia, even if you don't speak the local language. Nothing wrong with longing for change I suppose, but you might want to do a test run before you commit to the place.
Well. I DID plan to move to Thailand, but I have changed my mind to Phils because:

1/ Specialy when geting older, I find it less cost and less hard to stay in Phils.

2/ Both countries have it for BIGER investments, but as  far as I know - and I have studied it much  :)    - Thailand DON'T have such EXCEPTION of 100 % owning for foreigners when it's lower investments. (=See my post just above.)  

RBM
Posted
Posted

One of his common comments is The Thais seem to be far more mercenary than Filipinos.

could you explain this more?

From what friends have told me whom have lived many years in Thailand this applies mostly to the better sex. Here in Philippines most attempted scams perpetuated by woman are pretty much unsophisticated and quite easy to spot. My understanding is it's far easier to be scammed in Thailand. Also not just from woman. Thais are know as being quite ruthless in far more harsher way than Filipinos.

I have know of situations where Filipinos have attempted hold ups in Cebu, in fact it ended up all in a bar have a great time, of course at the foreigners expense. A big smile and kind words here can very often defuse a tense situation. Not so easy in Thailand.

My big plus in Thailand is the infrastructure so much out weighs anything here, as a keen motorcyclist the Thai roads are amazing.