110 Electric Voltage

intrepid
Posted
Posted

Does anyone know if 110 voltage is available in Laguna?  Specifically in in Sta Rosa.  I was told by a friend that some areas of Laguna may have 110 voltage available but have not been able to verify that information.  I located a web site for Meralco but as usual the links for customer service email don't work and the phone number listed is incorrect.

Also if anyone has built and installed both 110 and 220 voltage I would be interested in your experience with costs and any issues?

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

Does anyone know if 110 voltage is available in Laguna?  Specifically in in Sta Rosa.  I was told by a friend that some areas of Laguna may have 110 voltage available but have not been able to verify that information.  I located a web site for Meralco but as usual the links for customer service email don't work and the phone number listed is incorrect.

Also if anyone has built and installed both 110 and 220 voltage I would be interested in your experience with costs and any issues?

Abby lived in Cabayao and has two brothers that live in Sta Rosa.  She has never heard of anyone having 110.

Why do you want it?  We have 110 and 220 here at our Subic house (ex US Navy house) and I'm only using one 110 outlet, for my battery chargers that could also use 220.  We would like to switch them all to 220 if we could.

On a side note, a new store opened here call HMR Trading, and they are loaded with 110 volt appliances and tools.  Most of it appears to be returns and repairs, but some new stuff.  Lots of Craftsman items that seem to be all returns and repairs.  Even some stuff from Home Depot that still has the HD price tags.

intrepid
Posted
Posted

Thanks OnMyWay,

The reason I want 110 is because of my craft hobby.  I have many small electric hobby tools I plan to ship and use on my spare time in retirement.  I know I could buy some of the same tools there in 220 but not all.  Plus I already have these and should last my lifetime.

I know another option is a transformer but if I can get 110 at a reasonable rate, it may save the hassle of that.  Do you by chance have a good phone number or email for Meralco?

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

Thanks OnMyWay,

The reason I want 110 is because of my craft hobby.  I have many small electric hobby tools I plan to ship and use on my spare time in retirement.  I know I could buy some of the same tools there in 220 but not all.  Plus I already have these and should last my lifetime.

I know another option is a transformer but if I can get 110 at a reasonable rate, it may save the hassle of that.  Do you by chance have a good phone number or email for Meralco?

Yes, that is mainly what I brought.  Dremel tool, Craftsman hammer drill, a few others.  They work fine plugged into my 1000 watt AVR / Transformer, when I need them.  Although my Dremel stopped working.  Not sure what happened to it.  If you need to, buy a good AVR / transformer to protect your expensive tools.

Sorry, no number for Meralco.

• Like 1

Call me bubba
Posted
Posted
Does anyone know if 110 voltage is available in Laguna? Specifically in in Sta Rosa

i have lived in sta rosa now 6yrs and have not heard of this,

It may be "possible" for sometype of step down unit from Meralco

regarding calling them,

look again for a number, the number listed on the bill usually cant be dialed from outside the country,

also please feel free to PM and i will forward your email to them, they do reply but it takes awhile for response

as another said best to use a  separate transformer

Mike S
Posted
Posted (edited)
a new store opened here call HMR Trading,

OMW thye used to have a store when we lived in Cebu and we went there often .... a lot of the stuff is used and or rebuilt ..... be sure and check out the items very carefully because I found a really nice drill with a ton of attachments but when they pluged it in the chuck wobbled (bad bushings) I showed it to the guy but he just put it right back on the shelf for the next unwarry customer ..... :hystery:

They used to have a website .... let me see if I can find it ..... yup here you go ...... http://www.hmr.ph/

Website used to be a lot better and they had hundreds of items for sale .... looks cheap and kiddish now .... :mocking:

:cheersty:

Edited by Mike S

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

Website used to be a lot better and they had hundreds of items for sale .... looks cheap and kiddish now .

:hystery:  Those damned 8 year olds again  :rolleyes:  post-2148-0-59159700-1417508421_thumb.jp

OK! OK! I'm gone.  

post-2148-0-53615100-1417508454_thumb.jp

:dance:

JP :tiphat:

intrepid
Posted
Posted

Does anyone know if 110 voltage is available in Laguna? Specifically in in Sta Rosa

i have lived in sta rosa now 6yrs and have not heard of this,

It may be "possible" for sometype of step down unit from Meralco

regarding calling them,

look again for a number, the number listed on the bill usually cant be dialed from outside the country,

also please feel free to PM and i will forward your email to them, they do reply but it takes awhile for response

as another said best to use a  separate transformer

Thanks for the offer PaS.  But now I am reverting back to OMW suggestion and using a AVR/transformor.

intrepid
Posted
Posted (edited)

Thanks OnMyWay,

Yes, that is mainly what I brought.  Dremel tool, Craftsman hammer drill, a few others.  They work fine plugged into my 1000 watt AVR / Transformer, when I need them.  Although my Dremel stopped working.  Not sure what happened to it.  If you need to, buy a good AVR / transformer to protect your expensive tools.

OMW,

Thanks for the information.  This is what I thought I would do.  Use a AVR/thansformer.  I was hoping that my workshop could be wired 110 for my tools.  But I can use the AVR.  Also because the good prices on TVs here my wife wants to ship one which is 110 volt.  I guess another AVR/Transformer.

Did you buy you AVR in the US or Philippines.  I've found some pretty good prices here.  Might be worth it to ship.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/m.html?_odkw=&_ssn=verde1171&item=261521136957&_osacat=0&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_from=R40&_trksid=p2046732.m570.l1313.TR11.TRC1.A0.H0.Xavr&_nkw=avr&_sacat=0

Did you have any trouble shipping your electric tools?  Did you get charged with import duty/tax?  I assume you shipped BB.

I just bought a new dremel 4000 and was hoping my old one would last till I moved there and just get the 220 volt one for a little more.

I bought the 4000 6-50 here for $99.   The same thing there in the link below is the same one in 220 volt for P9000!

http://www.olx.ph/index.php/view+classifieds/id/62005276/Dremel+4000+6-50+Rotary+Tool+USA+model+NEW+SALE+PRICE?referralKeywords=rotary+tool+dremel+4000&event=Search+Ranking,Position,1-1,1

Thanks again for all your help

Edited by Jollygoodfellow
fixed links

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

Thanks OnMyWay,

OMW,

Thanks for the information.  This is what I thought I would do.  Use a AVR/thansformer.  I was hoping that my workshop could be wired 110 for my tools.  But I can use the AVR.  Also because the good prices on TVs here my wife wants to ship one which is 110 volt.  I guess another AVR/Transformer.

Did you buy you AVR in the US or Philippines.  I've found some pretty good prices here.  Might be worth it to ship.

www.ebay.com/sch/m.html?_odkw=&_ssn=verde1171&item=261521136957&_osacat=0&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_from=R40&_trksid=p2046732.m570.l1313.TR11.TRC1.A0.H0.Xavr&_nkw=avr&_sacat=0

Did you have any trouble shipping your electric tools?  Did you get charged with import duty/tax?  I assume you shipped BB.

I just bought a new dremel 4000 and was hoping my old one would last till I moved there and just get the 220 volt one for a little more.

I bought the 4000 6-50 here for $99.   The same thing there in the link below is the same one in 220 volt for P9000!

www.olx.ph/index.php/view+classifieds/id/62005276/Dremel+4000+6-50+Rotary+Tool+USA+model+NEW+SALE+PRICE?referralKeywords=rotary+tool+dremel+4000&event=Search+Ranking,Position,1-1,1

Thanks again for all your help

I bought a Panther 1000 watt AVR here and the main use is for my TV and Home theater.  I bought it at Handyman for p4495 and I think that was 10% off.  I bought my TV here so it is 220 but my receiver and bluray are 110.   At my old house I would just plug in a 100 ft extension to power my 110 hammer drill, etc., but now I don't need to because I have 110 outlets.

I brought one small transformer in my BB boxes.  Transformers and AVRs are very heavy so that is one downside to shipping them in your boxes.  The other downside is that you will not have a warranty.

Panther seems like a good brand here.  Seems to be good quality.  Mine is the PVR 1000 and it has 3 220 outlets on the back, and 100, 110 and 220 on the front.  100 is useless for me so I would prefer one with another 110 if I were buying again.  I'm not sure what the 100 is supposed to be for.

No problem with the tools in the BB boxes.  I brought quite a bit, more than I really needed to.  My theory on the BB boxes is that you will not have any problems as long as your goods are obviously used.  If you ship a bunch of brand new stuff and get inspected, then you have a problem.

I am jinxed on Dremels.  I took my 110 volt to Germany and fried it on 220.  If you are absent minded like me, using 110 items around 220 outlets may cause you a problem!   :bash:

So I bought another one back in the US and ended up bringing it here to PH.  For some reason it seized up and now if I turn it on it barely moves and smokes.  Dremel and I just don't get along.  I might see if they have a knock off here because I really like having one.