What To Bring?

cattledog
Posted
Posted

Coming to Makati, for one year, what do , i need to bring.   I mean something i can not buy there.

• Like 1

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

I have never been to Makati but hear it is nice.  They probably have most of what you need.  There are certain brands that just are not available - or I cannot find them (but I am in Iloilo).  I know some guys bring their favorite brand razor blades.  I brought good quality shaving soap, and Aqua Velva aftershave.  Sometimes it is some of the odd little things you really miss.

I brought most of my kitchen.  Good quality pans, dishes, utensils, and my Sabatier knives.  But I am picky  :)

One thing to consider for a 1 year visit, shipping stuff over here is cheap via balikbayan boxes, but shipping it back home is expensive.  So for only a year... don't bring anything you can't fit in your suitcase or possibly just leave here.    :tiphat:

• Like 1

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted

To be honest, in Metro Manila, unless you have some real exacting demands, you can buy anything you can in the states, with the exception of certain food stuffs. Makati is the center of the rich and famous, if you have the money you can most likely get it.

If you have some specific examples perhaps we can help.

• Like 2

Call me bubba
Posted
Posted

Coming to Makati, for one year, what do , i need to bring.   I mean something i can not buy there.

Could you be more in depth?

as TIM said you can find most things here, , YET the quality of those items compared to Texas/US made differ,

what you may consider is

Underware, Socks, some of your "tennis shoes"

personal care products, such as "pain reliever" that your used too,

CONDOMS .as the1's here may not be as good as US sold. What I mean exactly .. is that US sold 1brand has spermicide inside as a protect ant,

if you use a waterpick or electric toothbrush it maybe hard to find it here or cost much more,

if you prepare some of your own foods, certain Spices maybe difficult  to find,

Off topic,,

1.make sure you notify you credit card issuer that you will be out of country,

perhaps consider putting a "block" on your file so no one can attempt fraud,

2. any important papers. consider additional copies

• Like 1

cattledog
Posted
Posted

Could you be more in depth?

as TIM said you can find most things here, , YET the quality of those items compared to Texas/US made differ,

what you may consider is

Underware, Socks, some of your "tennis shoes"

personal care products, such as "pain reliever" that your used too,

CONDOMS .as the1's here may not be as good as US sold. What I mean exactly .. is that US sold 1brand has spermicide inside as a protect ant,

if you use a waterpick or electric toothbrush it maybe hard to find it here or cost much more,

if you prepare some of your own foods, certain Spices maybe difficult  to find,

1.make sure you notify you credit card issuer that you will be out of country,

perhaps consider putting a "block" on your file so no one can attempt fraud,

2. any important papers. consider additional copies

Off topic,,  Yes,.. I am 6.4  197 lbs   and 11.5 shoe.  can you buy tennis shoes, and underclothes that are quality, and razor blades.

• Like 1

lonewolf
Posted
Posted

i you are larger than filipinos bring your clothes and shoes to last a year because you ll probably not find any to fit you here

• Like 1

Call me bubba
Posted
Posted
Off topic,, Yes,.. I am 6.4 197 lbs and 11.5 shoe. can you buy tennis shoes, and underclothes that are quality, and razor blades.

You should bring at least 2 extra pairs of your favorite styles, size 11.5

maybe a little hard to come by unless you want to spend $$.

underware, I use US (MADE)SOLD JOCKEY the quaity is better than the Philippine sold Jockey,

same as socks,, as here it appears that they are mostly polyester

Razor blades, same story US sold quality is better than same sold here,,

if you take any medications.

there is a site that you can find/compare it,, (check the health forum here. )

• Like 1

frosty (chris)
Posted
Posted

Off topic,,  Yes,.. I am 6.4  197 lbs   and 11.5 shoe.  can you buy tennis shoes, and underclothes that are quality, and razor blades.

The locals here are mostly 164 cm and 60 kg's on average, I would say best to bring your own shoes and any other personal items you think you may need just to be on the safe side.

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted (edited)

any other personal items you think you may need just to be on the safe side.

:unsure:  bring plenty of post-2148-0-35759500-1417936156.jpg it will stand you in good stead!

Usually out of Stock here " Commonsense " post-2148-0-98719500-1417936243_thumb.jp they couldn't spell Permanently! 

Hey, you think we are Kidding you here with these Lists. :no:

JP :tiphat:   :thumbsup:

Edited by Jack Peterson
  • Like 4

Americano
Posted
Posted

If you plan to use condoms bring your own supply because the ones sold here look like they are made for little boys.  Well, most things in the Philippines is smaller so why not condoms?

• Like 2