I Need An Architect

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted

Something to consider about permits and such. My architect (a relative naturally :1 (103): ) also said that we didn't really need permits to build. If we were in the wide open country I would be tempted. Our property is in the city and I know that it incoveinenced our neighbors during construction. All it would have taken was one complaint and we would have been open to "give me cash or I will report you" or "you have no permit, give me cash, I am the building inspector" etc etc. Since we are almost always under a microscope and perceived to be rich, I try and play by the rules as much as possible to remove any temptation.

• Like 4

Americano
Posted
Posted (edited)

Presidential Decree 1096 otherwise known as "the national building code of the Philippines", Rule III, Section 301, Paragraph 1:

"No Person, firm, corporation, including agency, or instrumentality of the government shall construct, alter, repair convert, use, occupy, move, demolish, and add any building/structure or any portion thereof or cause the same to be done, without first obtaining a building permit therefor from the Building Official assigned in the place where the subject building/structure is located or to be done. The prescribed application for building permit form (NBC Form B-01) shall be used by all applicants"

Without a permit then expect fines and penalties if someone decides to report you.

Building permit number should be clearly displayed!

"...repair...demolish..."   So by the law if you buy an old house and want to do some repairs you can't legally do those repairs without getting a building permit first or if a storm damages your house you can't repair it until you get a building permit?  What kind of crazy law is that?   And, if you buy some land with a very old house on it you can't demolish the house until you get a building permit?  Stupidity at its finest.

Stupid laws like this one is why a lot of foreigners give up and go back to their home country.

Edited by Americano

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
Stupid laws like this one is why a lot of foreigners give up and go back to their home country.

To paraphrase some ole general I heard one time    "Adjust, Adapt and Overcome"

If the foreigner can't........................SEE YA :wave:  :wave:

• Like 3

earthdome
Posted
Posted

Presidential Decree 1096 otherwise known as "the national building code of the Philippines", Rule III, Section 301, Paragraph 1:

"No Person, firm, corporation, including agency, or instrumentality of the government shall construct, alter, repair convert, use, occupy, move, demolish, and add any building/structure or any portion thereof or cause the same to be done, without first obtaining a building permit therefor from the Building Official assigned in the place where the subject building/structure is located or to be done. The prescribed application for building permit form (NBC Form B-01) shall be used by all applicants"

Without a permit then expect fines and penalties if someone decides to report you.

"...repair...demolish..."   So by the law if you buy an old house and want to do some repairs you can't legally do those repairs without getting a building permit first or if a storm damages your house you can't repair it until you get a building permit?  What kind of crazy law is that?   And, if you buy some land with a very old house on it you can't demolish the house until you get a building permit?  Stupidity at its finest.

I don't know about where you lived in the USA Americano, but most places I have lived in the US have very strict zoning laws and requirements for permits.

Note that I do not agree with government restricting what you do on your own property. Just noting that it exists in most of the USA.

• Like 3

Americano
Posted
Posted

I know all about strict laws but this Presidential Decree doesn't make any sense.  Take for example "occupy"  Does that mean if you rent a house and want to occupy if you must get a Building Permit first.  A Building Permit is for building or construction, its not for all the other things mentioned which have nothing to do with building or constructing.

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

You might want to read the whole law before making your broad generalizations about the stupidity of it.  I think the things you mentioned are covered if you read the details.

That being said, a law is only as good as the enforcement, which in most places here, is little or none, to the best of my limited knowledge on the subject.

Repairs and demolition are covered in the section I pasted below.  In the U.S., you certainly need a demolition permit and repairs of any magnitude need permits.  Would you want to buy a house in the U.S. that had un-permitted major electrical repairs done, etc.?

http://www.gov.ph/1977/02/19/presidential-decree-no-1096-s-1977/

Section 506. Restrictions on Existing Buildings.

Existing buildings or structures in fire zones that do not comply with the requirements for a new building erected therein shall not hereafter be enlarged, altered, remodeled, repaired or moved except as follows:

(a) Such building is entirely demolished;

(b) Such building is to be moved outside the limits of the more highly restrictive Fire Zone to a zone where the building meets the minimum standards;

© Changes, alterations and repairs may be made provided that in any 12-month period, the value of the work does not exceed twenty percent of the value of the existing building, and provided that, such changes do not add additional combustible material, and do not, in the opinion of the Building Official, increase the fire hazard;

(d) Additions thereto are separated from the existing building by fire walls, as set forth in Sub-section 604 (b);

(e) Damage from fire or earthquake, typhoons or any fortuitous event may be repaired, using the same kind of materials of which the building or structure was originally constructed, provided that, the cost of such repair shall not exceed twenty percent of the replacement cost of the building or structure.

• Like 1

Thomas
Posted
Posted

He may not need a building permit in the area he mentioned.  I was married to a woman from there so I know the people do not have floor plans, construction permits or safety inspections. The area my wife is from in Mindanao people do not get construction permits, fire inspections or any of the other useless BS, which is all about paying someone for something that you don't need.  They live more like squatters in other areas who build whatever they want to without any nosy government involvement.

Your wife or a trusted family member should be able to find someone who can make the addition to the house. If you don't find someone soon let me know because my wife knows a man in Mindanao who is very good at constructing houses and without wasting materials.  Maybe we can get his contact info for you.

Something to consider about permits and such. My architect (a relative naturally :1 (103): ) also said that we didn't really need permits to build. If we were in the wide open country I would be tempted. Our property is in the city and I know that it incoveinenced our neighbors during construction. All it would have taken was one complaint and we would have been open to "give me cash or I will report you" or "you have no permit, give me cash, I am the building inspector" etc etc. Since we are almost always under a microscope and perceived to be rich, I try and play by the rules as much as possible to remove any temptation.

(As I remember it since I read it a year ago.)   No BUILDING permit is needed if it's RURAL. 

I don't know in what size of village/town permit starts to be needed.