Posted
Posted

Bob, on the move again.

tumblr_l8gs3pS7Qf1qbk8id.jpg

• Like 4

robert k
Posted
Posted

Pop65z showed some really basic 1500 piso and sweat equity houses in a fairly recent youtube video but a couple years ago he showed a $5,000 USD house with concrete floors and a basement!

I won't hazard a guess of the cost of a nice native style house but I will say I think it should have metal roof which extends outside the walls for 1.5 to 2 metes on all sides. The native house I lived in a year ago had significant overhang and rain rarely ever touched the walls, as in had to blow sideways to touch the walls. They had no trouble with mold. Do be careful not to decapitate yourself walking around the corner though, the corners of the metal were bent up for good reason, the edge of the roof was only about 5 feet above the ground. I believe this provided more shade while still allowing airflow, it was generally pretty comfortable after you acclimatize.

• Like 5

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

RV'ing in da Philippines.

Manila+1+006.JPG

• Like 3

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

Our project study was to design and build a one bedroom bamboo house that would last 50 years. The production cost was less than $10,000 using bamboo treated with a boron salt that makes it resistant to termites, wood boring insects and fungi. The salt treatment also makes it fire resistant. Roof is a polycarbonate material that looks like grass, but it won't burn. The material is used as roofing in the United States for resort bars and restaurants to give a more tropical look. The structure can withstand winds up to 160 kilometers per hour.

• Like 5

virginprune
Posted
Posted

I have been informed that I can get a 2 bedroom, treated bamboo. Inside finished with cm plywood on a concrete base with metal roof for around 200,000p. I have not looked into this fully as I want to rent for a while first. This is around Surallah just outside of Marbel.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
Methersgate
Posted
Posted (edited)

K wants to add a bedroom to her parents' place - which is not a nipe hut but which is a traditional wooden building.. She has been talking to her brother and he reckons 30,000 to add one bedroom.

Edited by Methersgate
  • Like 1

JJReyes
Posted
Posted (edited)

I have been informed that I can get a 2 bedroom, treated bamboo. Inside finished with cm plywood on a concrete base with metal roof for around 200,000p. I have not looked into this fully as I want to rent for a while first. This is around Surallah just outside of Marbel.

Be sure to ask what they use to treat the bamboo. Diesel is commonly used in the Philippines. It is not fire resistant and there is a distinct odor only a mechanic would love. Some manufacturers bury the bamboo in tidal pools using rocks and corals. It is a good, inexpensive solution, but not as effective as boron salt which comes either from the United States or Turkey. The boron salt is very fine and it penetrates the bamboo. This is what makes it fire resistant.

Japanese farmhouses built with bamboo last more than 200 years. There is usually a hearth or fireplace in the middle of the main room. The smoke cures the bamboo. Artisans love to use aged bamboo for craft making. Old farmhouses that are destined for dismantling command a huge price.

Edited by JJReyes
  • Like 5

chris49
Posted
Posted

Craig got me thinking.

Just what would a nice Nipa Hut cost these days? Something like 40sq m cement floor thatch roof wet kitchen outside toilet. Located out in da Provinces. 

A few years ago a place like that in Talisay would go for about 60K peso.

Talisay, Batangas?  And assuming that's on family land?

200k the structure inc the roof. Don't forget the daily labor charges, 2 workers probably over 3 weeks.

50k the outdoor toilet, minimum, no running water, you carry your own.

Wet kitchen? That could be variable...100K.

We started one...7x5 so that's 35 sq m...we changed our mind midway and went with a conventional wood and galvinized roof, sliding glass windows....est cost about the same because you are paying people to work with the bamboo and it may take longer.

• Like 1

stevewool
Posted
Posted

We are thinking of having a little hut outside so people can smoke in there and it will be used for Ems dads Friends rather then just sitting out in the sun playing chess

• Like 1