Vosteran Virus-Malware

MikeB
Posted
Posted

A couple days ago I logged into my laptop as usual but windows didn't appear to load, I had a black screen with the mouse cursor seemingly working. Very odd. I tried several reboots, got the usual login screen, then black. I started to prepare to do a restore from backup. Since the laptop is only 4 months old I really didn't want to. Since the mouse seemed to be working I tried Ctrl-Alt-del and got the Task Manager open. All tasks seem to be running but no Windows. I noticed one of the anti-virus programs, SuperAntiSpyware, running so I right-clicked on it and selected “open file location” and clicked the .exe for the program. It started and immediately found a (PUP) potentially unwanted program called “vosteran”. It removed at least part of it and when it finished I rebooted it and windows started normally. There was a program called WSE_Vosteran that I was not able to delete but I ran Malwarebytes anti-virus and that got rid of it. I did a search for this thing and there are tons of recent infections. It comes bundled in free software, I probably got it when I installed something new and selected the "Recommended" installation instead of "Custom" where you select each component you want. I won't make that mistake again. It supposed to be a browser hijacker but at least in my case it gave me a black screen. I use one anti-virus program and 2 anti-spyware, all free and all up to date. Didn't stop it from installing. 

• Like 4

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Close call, good heads up that we all need to keep our anti-virus updated.

• Like 2

MikeB
Posted
Posted

It's possible the 2 anti-malware products I have were not completely up to date because they require manual updating, so they may have been a week out of date, not more I don't think. The AVG anti-virus does automatic updates but I'm not sure any of them, up-to-date or not, would have caught this before installation.  

• Like 3

MikeB
Posted
Posted

Ah, just realized "real-time" protection for the anti-malware products is only available with the paid versions. May have to do that. 

• Like 2

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

Ah, just realized "real-time" protection for the anti-malware products is only available with the paid versions. May have to do that. 

I use Avast paid version and a few weeks ago something did not seem right like right click opening box were jumpy anyway found a PUP but can't recall its name and it was in start up programs. I think I did not have avast set to check startup programs but my fault for not checking the settings. The problem with most program downloads free or paid is you have to look twice to ensure that the install has not got something else automatically selected for you, sneaky bastards some of them.  :Mad:123

• Like 2

MikeB
Posted
Posted

I upgraded to Malwarebytes premium. 25 bucks a year for 3 computers.

• Like 2

Mike S
Posted
Posted

Yes I've been using the premium for sometime now and it is fantastic .... EXCEPT .... the malicious website protection ..... it will try to block different websites that Malwarebytes feels you don't need to visit ..... :hystery: :hystery:  .... but easy to fix ... just turn it off in your taskbar and when you restart windows it will turn itself back on .... :thumbsup:

:cheersty:

• Like 1

i am bob
Posted
Posted (edited)

Gee... i can't remember the last time i had a virus... But then i don't run Windows!

Ok, all together now... Smartass!

:D

Warning Notice:  Your post has been infected by the Moderator Virus.  To fix it send 1,000 pesos to Dave Hounddriver  :tiphat:

Edited by Dave Hounddriver
  • Like 4

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

Ok, all together now... Smartass!

​SMARTASS!   :rolleyes:  But then Bob you knew this would come from me old Buddy! :rolleyes: Didn't you?

JP :cheersty:  :tiphat:

jpbago
Posted
Posted

Me too.