Dika-Steve From France

Dika-Steve
Posted
Posted

Hello,

I am a young post graduate French student, studying MSc International Business.

I recently gained a 6month internship opportunity from an American company in Cebu. I have not been to Asia in my life, thus Philippines will be my first Asian visit.

The company offers $US 75 per week, accommodation and feeding are provided. However, I am still troubled about the 75 dollars.

As a foreign intern, can I be able to be sustained with 75 dollars per week and possible make a little savings ? I am yet to officially accept the offer. I need to make my decisions ASAP.

thanks in advance for your time and kind responses.

Dika-Steve

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

Welcome to our forum

I moved your topic as it has questions which is not what introductions is about. 

:cheersty:

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
The company offers $US 75 per week

That is very close to what a trainee filipina would earn by working at a call center and she would not get food and lodging for that. Its up to you to know if you can enjoy your life with that amount and I would be curious what accommodation and food are provided.  There are people here living 8 to a dorm room existing on chicken feet and rice so be sure you know what they are providing. 

Dika-Steve
Posted
Posted

Thanks for your reply.

I will be lodged in the CEO' s residence. I am assured to have ''a room mate'' in the worst scenario. However, a single room will be provided for me.

The CEO's chef will be preparing food for the whole residents, including me. I am not too sure of the quality of the food, though.

I am just confused. Would not wanna make mistakes in my decisions.

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
As a foreign intern, can I be able to be sustained with 75 dollars per week and possible make a little savings ?

Doubt it besides I think the whole idea is to give you experience rather than an income. 

Just to add, where in the Philippines are we talking about ? 

Dika-Steve
Posted
Posted

Cebu City.

Do you think $US 75 can do the weekly magic ? I am just curious !

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

Cebu City.

Do you think $US 75 can do the weekly magic ? I am just curious !

There is not a lot of info from you such as how the visa situation is arranged? Is it paid for by this company? Travel to the workplace, provided?  If everything is covered by the company then you will do OK as in getting experience and living in a foreign place. There are other issues such as hospital or travel insurance, who is paying this? 

Now I ask why this company is offering anything?  Whats in it for you at the end?

Also if you have no money of your own it might be best to move on to another  adventure as you do not want to find yourself broke and in the Philippines. 

Dika-Steve
Posted
Posted

Visa renewals will be taken care of by the company. The CEO's driver will be responsible of dropping and picking me up from the office on daily basis.One way Air ticket will be paid if I stay up to 6 months.

And there are possibilities of retaining me for a full time job at the end of my internship, depending on my productivity and my inputs to the company.

And most importantly, the CEO sounds nice and trustworthy to work with. I would not mind giving it a try. 

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
And most importantly, the CEO sounds nice and trustworthy to work with. I would not mind giving it a try. 

OK, you have about P 13'240 peso a month to live on if all other costs are paid as you have said. (Tax) ? I have no idea of what terms this company it offering such as the amount of hours you will work but you should be able to have some quality of life while in the Philippines but having said that I don't know how you will go once in Cebu; girls, wine women and song!

Although you never answered the question about back up money my advice is if you do not have some the stay home because if something goes wrong you are toast. 

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
the CEO sounds nice and trustworthy to work with.

I have heard the same words from many young men who came here under such circumstances.  The best crooks sound the nicest and most trustworthy.  That is NOT saying your new CEO is a crook.  Just that you sound naive and you are not answering enough questions to get our best advice.  Under these circumstances I would say:  Go with your gut.