Personality Differences Between Regions

Thomas
Posted
Posted

I find this subject worth an own topic.

=Personality differences at Filipinos from different regions.

I've lived in a province (Argao, Cebu island) town for more than 3 years and have never run into the situation you described with people yelling obscenities from passing vehicles. That's just bizarre. Sounds like stupid kids. In fact, I cannot recall one single unpleasant experience from any local except for overcharging a couple of times and I don't tolerate it. They sometimes stare with their mouths open but I guess I'm used to that. Prior to this I lived in Cebu City for about a year. I despise that place for so many reasons, particularly the traffic and pollution. Great for tourists but one of the most unlivable places I've ever been. But that's me, I hope it works out for you. 

Some other sources:

An "infosite" say people from

the north island are most as westerners, most entrepreneaurs and industrialiced.

Them from Mindanao are most layed back.

Them from Visayas are "in between".

An other sourse said people from Cebu are much more loud than people from smaller islands.  (But he didn't say which smaller islands.)

A third say people from IloIlo region are much more nice than people from Cebu.

What's YOUR experiences?

MacBubba
Posted
Posted

People from the Ilocos region are said to be very industrious and frugal.  At least those from landlocked areas.  Then, as you go farther south and less landlocked, those traits become less pronounced. 

We met a former Canadian resident who transferred back to his birthplace of HK, and who employed a couple of caregivers for his kids.  He told us that in HK, it is said that when hiring Filipino caregivers, try to get one  from the north, for they will give you 120%.

• Like 2

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

He told us that in HK, it is said that when hiring Filipino caregivers, try to get one  from the north, for they will give you 120%.

That's OK but if people don't try out other Regions how can they tell who is giving what? There are Good and Bad all over as we know from our own experience in our own Countries, There are times when I think we are wrong to Pigeon Hole others.

JP :tiphat:

• Like 3

Methersgate
Posted
Posted (edited)

IMG_3977_zps6349bbec.jpg

This is a snap of the lady who was our "lady wot does" for several years, Minggay. She has since died. She was from Ilocos Norte and yes, she was industrious and thrifty and not at all given to Tsismis. So based on my experience yes, I would look first for another Ilocana.

Having said that, K is from Mindsnao but of Visayan descent (from Negros) and "laid back" is not a term that has ever come to mind when thinking of her...

Edited by Methersgate

UnCheckedOther
Posted
Posted

Ugh...gifts, not gives. This snowstorm is making my brain go pffft.

• Like 2

Thomas
Posted
Posted

He told us that in HK, it is said that when hiring Filipino caregivers, try to get one  from the north, for they will give you 120%.

That's OK but if people don't try out other Regions how can they tell who is giving what? There are Good and Bad all over as we know from our own experience in our own Countries, There are times when I think we are wrong to Pigeon Hole others.

JP :tiphat:

Yes. of course there are.  I asked for differences between AVERAGES of people from different regions.

There are such differences between nationalities in Europe too, so not odd if there are differences betweem people from different parts of the Philippines, because the Philippines have several DIFFERENT tribes. That's why they have different first languages   :)

Methersgate
Posted
Posted
I volunteer as an Amerasian advocate and have met people from Olongapo both here and in the Philippines and have found them to be the most open and curious Pinoys. Everything from my negative A cup size and salary to why I don't want to marry my bf and why I buy real instead of fake designer bags have been discussed extensively...by people I've known for all of ten minutes. I also noticed a contradiction w/r/t their views on Americans. On one hand there's the understandable resentment over Amerasians abandoned by their dads. I've been insulted by a few people for being proud to be an American. These same people protest over American troops in the area, but jump at the first opportunity to meet an American and come here. Again, this duality is understandable given the history.

Yes; not altogether surprising! The people of Olongapo are all economic migrants or the children of ecomonic migrants, just like the people of Hong Kong are. In  both cases people moved there to get ahead" and moved there from a variety of other places, so the population is mixed up to start with and presumably above averagely enterprising. People forget just how many people worked on the base - and they overlook the true reason for the base's existence, which was not so much fear of China as  the convenience of having a non-Union ship repair facility.

WE may note that Olongapo was the only place in the country that threw out its ruling dynasty at the last elections.... 

Above averagely open minded and entreprising people.

At the other extreme I have met people in Negros (Illonggos, for the most part) who really are - sorry to say this - peasants!

Grasping,  suspicious of outsiders, un-imaginative...no interest in what might be over the next hill...

• Like 1

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

I have been to Dumaguete,Negros, many times and I was not just in the city. I have found the people there very friendly and not as loud as the people here in Dalaguete Cebu. People`s experiences will differ all the time.

• Like 1

jpbago
Posted
Posted
At the other extreme I have met people in Negros (Illonggos, for the most part) who really are - sorry to say this - peasants! Grasping,  suspicious of outsiders, un-imaginative...no interest in what might be over the next hill...

Yes, I agree with that in Negros Occidental. Very little education and English. Minute to minute thinking. Others have said that they like the language as it is musical, well, maybe Waray that I have not heard but the language here is as musical as a machine gun.