It Will Never Happen.................

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Phl needs to open up economy – think tank
By Kathleen A. Martin (The Philippine Star) | Updated February 19, 2015 - 12:00am

phl-economic-growth.jpg

MANILA, Philippines - US-based think-tank The Heritage Foundation said the Philippines would need to open up the economy to more players and continue its structural reforms to increase investments.

Terry Miller, executive director of the organization, said in a briefing yesterday the government should consider altering some rules on trade and investments to better cater to a bigger group of investors.

Miller said that some policies only protect a number of businesses or some sectors, holding back economic development and investments, and in turn, the creation of jobs.

“They tend to preserve the benefits to perhaps only an elite group in the society. Maybe if you can open up the economy, then much more opportunity will be available for average people. Policy changes can make significant changes,” Miller said.

The Philippines improved its ranking in the latest Index of Economic Freedom published by The Heritage Foundation to 76 out of 178 countries from rank 89 last year. The country scored 62.2 points, above the world average of 60.4 points. This put the country in the survey’s “moderately free” category.

The index divides the countries surveyed into those that are free, mostly free, moderately free, mostly unfree, and repressed. The countries are assessed on their rule of law or property rights and freedom from corruption, limited government which pertains to fiscal freedom and government spending, regulatory efficiency, and open markets wherein financial freedom lies.

Business 

Miller said the country has rosy prospects for further improving its economic freedom given the reforms being instituted by the government and its sound macroeconomic fundamentals. “It’s only a question of political will,” he said.

Anthony Kim, senior analyst at the Heritage Foundation, said during the same briefing the reforms should be sustained even with the change of government officials following the 2016 presidential elections.

“The momentum is here... This is the time to do more and not less... We do know that it’s not going to take one night or one year and it’s an ongoing process but what matters is what process and how you’re going to drive that reform process,” Kim said.

Corruption has been tagged as among the more serious cause of concerns for the Philippines in the 2015 Index of Economic Freedom but Kim said the efforts to reduce it is a welcome development.

“The current administration has been putting strong efforts to fight corruption and we want to see that continue,” Kim said, adding the government should also improve the workers’ productivity in terms of training, for example.

• Like 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

I disagree with your opinion in the title. There has been lots of changes to trade and improvements in the battle of corruption. Also the government/private investor improvements for infrastructure are becoming more common.  

• Like 2

jon1
Posted
Posted

I beg to differ JGF. If anything, the restrictions are getting tighter. I know several expat businessmen who have been having to jump through new bureaucratic hoops as of late. New further restrictive documentation and other practices. Also, they (BIR) are wanting access to your books as far back as 10 years. Some of these fellows would have moved on if they weren't already so established. 

• Like 2

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
Also, they (BIR) are wanting access to your books as far back as 10 years.

So what is new about this? they do it in just about every other country in the World, Open Books, Sound. Closed Books, Something to hide? :rolleyes:

JP :tiphat:

jon1
Posted
Posted

They weren't doing this before from what I was told. They can do this on all newly registered companies but not existing ones. And they are requiring more filipinos and less expats in their company if they have to change any documentation for their company. It's purposely driving them out.

• Like 1

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted

A lot of changes will have to be made in government and that is almost impossible at the present time.  Terry Miler and Anthony Kim are absolutely right but don't hold your breath on this to happen. If you think a snail ,moves slow, wait for corruption to slow down.

There is a reason why large investors look another way.

• Like 2

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

If you think a snail ,moves slow, wait for corruption to slow down.

:unsure: Of Course all this will change, when Duerte gets Elected President. :no: My thoughts exactly. :rolleyes:  Oops there I go again, talking to myself :rolleyes:  BUT at least I listen  :hystery:

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted

:unsure: Of Course all this will change, when Duerte gets Elected President. :no: My thoughts exactly. :rolleyes:  Oops there I go again, talking to myself :rolleyes:  BUT at least I listen  :hystery:

You must not have read that Duterte is offering the head of the MILF a welcome to Davao. There are already many Ampatuan members in and around Davao. Just a matter of time now for violence. 

I won't be here when it happens.

jpbago
Posted
Posted

The businesses that do well here are the ones that can skirt the rules in the same way as the politicians do with their investments. Transperency will not work here.

Markham
Posted
Posted

You must not have read that Duterte is offering the head of the MILF a welcome to Davao. There are already many Ampatuan members in and around Davao. Just a matter of time now for violence. 

I won't be here when it happens.

Whilst it is perfectly true that the Ampatuan family owns a few highly-priced properties in Davao City, none of them actually lives here but most are rented-out. Free market forces at work.

Duterte is a pragmatist - "keep your friends close and your enemies closer".

• Like 1