How Safe Is Cebu For White Americans?

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

His father-in-law who is a Filipino. The father really got upset with his daughter, (my daughter-in-law) when she let her hubby walk from their rental apartment to her parent's house alone.

Where in Cebu are we talking about? Some places like in the downtown area might be considered a bit iffy but for most of Cebu its as safe as anywhere as long as one has common sense such as not wearing expensive jewellery for example. 

Kuya John
Posted
Posted

Why the need to ask this question in the first place?

What ever your race colour or creed, the World is becoming a dangerous place.

I certainly would feel a lot safer in Philippines, than a few other countries around the world right now.

As already stated, like in any City, walking round in the middle of the night is taking a chance.

Most Filipino families will want to protect you from risk, so naturally they will warn you or chaperone you.

I have only felt threaten once, in the many times I have visited, and that was in broad daylight in a shopping mall on a Sunday!

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
His father-in-law who is a Filipino. The father really got upset with his daughter, (my daughter-in-law) when she let her hubby walk from their rental apartment to her parent's house alone.

I would get REALLY upset with a father-in-law who wanted to treat me as a prisoner.  Is Cebu unsafe for a white man to walk?  Sometimes yes.  MOST often no.  I walked all over the Cebu Metropolitan area and there are only a handful of places and time that I felt unsafe.  One example:  In the poorest areas of Pier 1 it is unsafe to walk at night and not entirely safe to walk in the daytime.

It does seem to me that anti-foreigner sentiment is building in Cebu so there may come a day when I change my opinion.  If the white man is street smart he will probably be fine.

• Like 1

Methersgate
Posted
Posted (edited)

I am just looking at some Facebook snaps of two of my sisters in law, my English brother in law and my other half in Molave Plaza, late at night - evidently towards the end of a Good Night Out - amusing because three of the four look ready for bed and K, my partner, is in full Energizer Bunny mode...

Now Molave is in Zamboanga del Sur, where Americans Brits and Aussies are Not Meant To Go - and frankly the four of them - three girls and a "white man" - are safer than they would be in an English High Street at that time of night...

Sister in  law Mel and brother in law John...

46269559-e6f3-4f2c-976c-6349e18f4781_zps

sister in law Rosalie and The Energizer Bunny...

954c7ec5-dff2-4df9-95aa-95a90bfda625_zps

Now, back to the subject - yes, Filipino families can be very protective.

Over Christmas K and I were in Canlaon City and I said I wanted to climb Mount Kanlaon.

K's uncle was horrified and told her that Mount Kanlaon was dangerous because of the presence of the NPA and foreigners had been killed there. He told her that she should get her Kano to climb the little extinct volcan near his farm and he would take us to the local hot springs and the Kano would be satisfied!

Suffice it to say that we did climb Mount Kanlaon, we did not meet any NPA folks, and had a wonderful time in a wholly unspoiled National Park with excellent guides.

The actual Mount Kanlaon...

5bcd9fbe-f031-4e93-b6b0-9047f6e92bf5_zps

The bundok that would have done just as well...

341b52a3-524c-439e-a84a-c0fa27147590_zps

Edited by Methersgate
  • Like 3

Guy F.
Posted
Posted (edited)

Much of the "protectiveness" extended to foreigners by their Filipino 'family' or friends is motivated by protecting their own interests. Temptation is everywhere; if a Filipina's boyfriend is allowed to wander unaccompanied he could easily find a new girlfriend- temporary or otherwise.

Employ common sense and you will be as safe in the PI as almost anywhere else in the world. Tell them you don't need a yaya (babysitter).

Edited by Guy F.

KatsGma
Posted
Posted

Interesting observations. I don't think the father was trying to keep him "prisoner" but was trying to protect him. I don't know much about Cebu so I can't answer the questions. All I know is that I was told the father berated and told the daughter my son should always have a Filipino accompany him because it wasn't safe for him to be on the streets alone; he could be attacked.

Guy F.
Posted
Posted

So you will persist in worrying. I get it. That's what Moms do. Did you notice the news article cited earlier said those murders happened at 4:30AM? If they were taken to Chong Hua Hospital they were shot in the oldest part of Cebu City, where there are some really seedy places. I would give long odds that a lot of alcohol was involved. If your son has half a brain he will be able to survive on his own.

Gator
Posted
Posted
All I know is that I was told the father berated and told the daughter my son should always have a Filipino accompany him because it wasn't safe for him to be on the streets alone; he could be attacked.

I've been visiting Cebu for several years, usually I stay for a couple of months twice per year and currently I've been here since Oct. I'm by far no expert on Cebu City, but I've never really been or even felt threatened.  Due to my sleeping habits I often wander around here in the middle of the night in various parts of the city, but mostly now in Banawa/Guadalupe/Capital area where I live. On the rare occasions I go out drinking I do not wander around.  

Having said that, I do not wander down dark alleys, I avoid the Colon St area after dark (except the night market, but then I go with either gf1 or gf2) and I pay attention to my surroundings.

Something else to consider. Ask the father how much of the city he's actually traveled in. Many Filipinos I know here have never (or rarely) left their barangay (neighborhood) and base their presumptions on other areas of the city/country on chismis (gossip) and what they might see on the TV news or read (if they can read) in a newspaper. And we all know how bright and cheery the news always is, lol.

Gator
Posted
Posted (edited)
If they were taken to Chong Hua Hospital they were shot in the oldest part of Cebu City, where there are some really seedy places.

The news article also cited that the shooting occurred in the Tabunok Barangay of Talisay City, a separate city to the south of Cebu City. They were taken to Chong Hua as it's arguably the best hospital in Cebu City. A friend's brother recently had a bad motor bike crash in Dalaguete (much further south) and he was transported there too. And I always thought the area around the Basilica del Santo Nino / Magellan's Cross was the oldest part of the city, but I could be wrong too :).

Edited by Gator

MikeB
Posted
Posted

The German national who was killed was taken to Chong Hua, the other 2 to Vicente Sotto, a public hospital a short distance from CHH. If your condition is life-threatening and you look like you can pay you will probably go to Chong Hua. That's where they took me after the bike accident that happened way outside the city on the other side of Top's. Their ER was the best chance he had.