Get Annulment Or Not?

mogo51
Posted
Posted

My gf and I have been together for 3 years in Thailand where she teaches.  I am now retired.

She is still married but been apart from her ex for 7 years.

I am rather wary of going to Phils whilst this situation exists, as I have seen information on TV about westerners being arrested by local Police and charged with Adultery, along with the extranged wife?

I have also read that an Annulment costs at least 200k pesos?  Not to mention the risk with dealing

with lawyers and their rip off habits?

As far as I am concerned, I don't want to remarry, been through a couple and that will do me.  It makes no

difference to my life I am happy and love my partner dearly.  It is forever until I fall off the perch, as far as I am concerned.

I will make sure that she is ok financially when my number comes out of the lottery.  But I dont want her dropkick ex getting his grubby hands on it!

Could I get some input from members regarding the likelihood of law intervention. Also whether I am overreacting or is it a real possibiity?

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

It's unlikely you would be prosecuted for cohabitating with your Filipina girlfriend in Philippines because she has lived separated from her ex seven years. I don't see how her separated husband could claim anything from her after your passing.

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

I don't see how her separated husband could claim anything from her after your passing.

I am like so many here not a lawyer but a legal marriage is a Legal thing, if the lady has no Official Separation Order( And they are available) then the Husband will still have a Legal entitlement to at least 50% of whatever she has or gets.

My Advice, see a Lawyer and get that Separation, Documented. At least from the date of the Official Separation, she is covered. 

Hmmmmmm not the sort of thing I like Writing first thing in the Morning But..................helping Forum Friends is why we are Here YES?  :thumbsup:

Morning All,

JP :tiphat:   :morning1:

• Like 4

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Outstanding information Jack!  :tiphat:

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

Outstanding information Jack! 

Thank You for the Vote Old, I have said this before and it always stays with me, what my barrister told me at my Divorce Hearing,

"Marriage Changes Everything, Divorce changes Nothing, until it is Final"   :unsure:

Life is a very strange game and not all play by the Rules. :no:

JP :tiphat:  

• Like 1

mogo51
Posted
Posted

Thank you Jack and Old55.  I agree with your views Jack, regarding any property she would inherit, that ex dropkick can stick his hand up,

I went through a very nasty divorce 6 years ago, so I know how bad things can get.  Also he has nothing, so it would not take much for him to start eyeing what she has.

Would the Separation Certificate be a stopper or only a small hurdle? So far as property is concerned.

mogo51
Posted
Posted

ps. Sorry for hitting you between the eyes first thing Jack, but we were discussing it last night and I told her I would start a thread this morning to see what the members' views were.

On the bright side Jack, I got the upstairs engine running early for you, no charge!!

• Like 1

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted (edited)

Another thing to consider is what would be the grounds for annulment?   They are available but very restrictive.  Things that would easily qualify for divorce in most countries won't get you an annulment here: abuse, adultery, abandonment - not good enough.  But those can get you a legal separation.  Very bizarre laws here sometimes...

~Edit~

Here is a page I bookmarked during my marriage research.  A bit old (2007) but still pretty good info.  http://jlp-law.com/blog/annulment-divorce-legal-separation-in-the-philippines-questions-and-answers/

And I would discuss this with an attorney.   :tiphat:

Edited by Tukaram (Tim)
  • Like 2

mogo51
Posted
Posted

Another thing to consider is what would be the grounds for annulment?   They are available but very restrictive.  Things that would easily qualify for divorce in most countries won't get you an annulment here: abuse, adultery, abandonment - not good enough.  But those can get you a legal separation.  Very bizarre laws here sometimes...

~Edit~

Here is a page I bookmarked during my marriage research.  A bit old (2007) but still pretty good info.  http://jlp-law.com/blog/annulment-divorce-legal-separation-in-the-philippines-questions-and-answers/

And I would discuss this with an attorney.   :tiphat:

Thank you tried the link several times, not finding page.

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted

Mogo, for what it worth. IMHO you can pretty much forget about an annulment. Don't know if you have the time, patience or the cash for it. Certificate of separation might help, don't know if the ex has to agree to it or not.

What I do know is that if the ex is a scum bag, and he knows that you and your lady are in the area. Do not be surprised if he shows up with his hand out for a little hush money. Not saying that it will happen, just don't be surprised if it does.

• Like 4