Method For Selecting A New Home In The Philippines

rw191010
Posted
Posted

I want to start off this topic by fully confessing that I LOVE to use numbers for decision making.  I'm an old Army guy, and my training runs deep.

We only plan on moving one more time before settling into our final home in the Philippines.  I have saved my money and I'm prepared to invest a reasonable portion of it into buying/building our new home.  I've read lots of discussions from Expats who are truly happy.  I've read many more from folks who wish they had the decision to make all over again.

My future wife and I have chosen to develop a matrix with which to quantify the various aspects of our life-long decision. 

We have chosen, 1) Security/Safety - 5, 2) Expense - 7, 3) Schools - 4, 4) Expat Community - 4, 5) Hospitals/Medical - 4, 6) Locations (Urban vs Rural) - 3, 7) Restaurants/Supermarkets - 4, 8) Access To "Civilization" - 3 and 9) Airport Access - 2.  We've also assigned Weights to each criteria...seen in bold.  See attached preliminary matrix.

By multiplying an areas rating by the weight of that criteria gives the score.  Adding the scores results in a final scoring for each area.  All this is done on an Excel spreadsheet.  In the Army, we called it a Decision Matrix.

So, you may be wondering why am I boring you with all this?  I am wondering if we are missing criteria that should be considered.  This is probably the most important decision we'll make this year, so we really, really want to get it right.

We also realize that most Expats choose to live where their spouse's family resides.  In our case, the family is spread all over the place, and there isn't really any location that they consider "home".  Therefore, all of the Philippines is open to us and thus...the notorious "Decision Matrix".

We'd be very interested in any input any of you folks out there might have on this matter.

Thanks in advance!

post-5008-0-41272800-1426588152_thumb.jp

• Like 2

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
We also realize that most Expats choose to live where their spouse's family resides.

I just noticed this remark and I find it does not sit well.  Many, if not most, Expats choose to live a good distance away from where their spouse's family resides.  The culture here does not set any personal boundaries so if you are close enough then the house will always be full of her relatives and she won't even be speaking English in your house so you will feel like a stranger.  Secondly, if she is a young wife, there will be a powerful peer pressure to hang out with her 'classmates' which normally has a bad effect on an older guy / younger girl relationship.

• Like 5

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

What can we say, You Gotta live here FULLTIME to fully Appreciate the way it is, Change those Rose Coloured Glasses to at least, see through, cos this is what you will find, See through. Now  because, we are still Building, I am a prisoner  24/7 and when it  is down time I am a Total Stranger in my own Home, Gosh I wish I HAD Listened.

JP :tiphat:

But I still LUV em!  :thumbsup:

• Like 3

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted

"GARY OWEN" Brother (last duty before retirement was with a Cav outfit :hystery: ). I left those matrix behind me, looking at yours gave me a head ache. (that's why I hated my stint as an OPNCO lol).

The one thing you didn't mention is if you have ever been to the Philippines. So I will through this out there. If you haven't and are getting your matix input through on line or sources, Throw it out. :1 (103):

If you have been here for visits and are basing your input on that. Throw it out. :1 (103):

Why? I had visited my wife's home many times for 2-3 weeks over a period of 17 years. Based on my experiences we decided to retire here. Having said that those short visits didn't REALLY prepare me for life here. Don't get me wrong I don't regret it one iota, but there are many little things you really don't see on a visit.

If your looking for advice (its free by the way) from another ole doggie. Sell up, move to a place you think you might like. But don't set your roots to deep that you cant move to a different area. Always keep enough socked away so you can perform a strategic with drawl back to the land of the big PX if this place ends up driving you mental.

Glad to have you with us Hooooah :cheersty:

• Like 4

earthdome
Posted
Posted
 I set up a similar matrix on my Commodore Vic-20 to choose my 9th grade girlfriend.

Too Funny!!!

stevewool
Posted
Posted

I did enjoy the Matrix, so they are making a new one soon called the ,Preliminary Matrix cant wait :thumbsup:

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted

I already have my place, but would love to see your matrix when you have completed it.

mogo51
Posted
Posted

It all looks very hi tech but in the end as others properly suggest here, it is where you will both be happy.

Only being in Phils and living in an area for sometime will give you that result, not a computer.

I used a horse ratings programme to try and win at the races -guess what, I lost, the bloody horses could

not understand the print out.

• Like 1