Population Problems

mogo51
Posted
Posted

I was just watching an interesting expose on the Philippines, mainly dealing with over

population.

I was amazed that they are suggesting population is rising by 2m per year, that is a

real problem for the country.

Of course the head of the Catholic Church was interviewed and tip toed around the question

of contraception. It was very enlightening when they interviewed a couple of Filipino ladies

from Health services distributing condoms. They really understood the need for actions

such as they are involved in.

Not wanting to get into a religious debate about this, but clearly when you see film of

what some of the poor have to do to survive (scouring rubbish tips etc) then it is clear

they must address this problem quickly.

• Like 3

mogo51
Posted
Posted

Good comments Dave, Ithink you are right, lets hope so, or we will be crowded out.

• Like 1

Gerald Glatt
Posted
Posted

:7_4_17[1]: I read a book in high school (more than one actually) called some thing like the Population Bomb.

It was very alarming, stated that by the year 1980 there would not be enough food because the population was growing so fast and by the year 2000? we would have 6 billion people on the planet, causing famine, wars and all kinds of deprivations. Now Europe as well as the US and other !st. world nations have a negative population growth, we can not sustain our entitlement programs without importing people to pay into our social systems. When I started earning there were 10+ people for ever SS recipient, now I think it is something like 4 and soon to be 3.  The US is trying to solve this by limiting middle and upper middle earning people and legalizing uneducated and many unemployable people.  When I retired at age 62 and started receiving my entitlement (paid into since age 16) at a rate that represented maybe 1/3 of what I paid there was enough to last till 2047 than broke.......but if we brought enough people and privatized SS I could go on to be 150. SE Asia is slowing down its growth even in the Philippines and if they do run short of space they may send them to central America as there seems to be a void there.     .

• Like 3

Methersgate
Posted
Posted

I was just watching an interesting expose on the Philippines, mainly dealing with over

population.

I was amazed that they are suggesting population is rising by 2m per year, that is a

Of course the head of the Catholic Church was interviewed and tip toed around the question

of contraception. It was very enlightening when they interviewed a couple of Filipino ladies

from Health services distributing condoms. They really understood the need for actions

Not wanting to get into a religious debate about this, but clearly when you see film of

what some of the poor have to do to survive (scouring rubbish tips etc) then it is clear

This is the excellent BBC series by Stephen Sackur, featuring an interview with a squirming and shifty Cardinal Tagle. I am told by a Filipino friend who knows Tagle that the Cardinal is not a bad man, and much better than most of his colleagues, but he does come over as shifty.

Sadly the programmes cannot be seen in the Philippines unless you have the Anonmox plug in

• Like 2

mogo51
Posted
Posted

population.

This is the excellent BBC series by Stephen Sackur, featuring an interview with a squirming and shifty Cardinal Tagle. I am told by a Filipino friend who knows Tagle that the Cardinal is not a bad man, and much better than most of his colleagues, but he does come over as shifty.

Sadly the programmes cannot be seen in the Philippines unless you have the Anonmox plug in

Funny that you should give that comment, as when I watching him being interviewed, he just lacked believability.

He had a strange smirk on his face and seemed to 'boundary ride' the questions of the interviewer.

I doubt he made any sensible or believable comment during the interview.

• Like 1

earthdome
Posted
Posted

population.

Funny that you should give that comment, as when I watching him being interviewed, he just lacked believability.

He had a strange smirk on his face and seemed to 'boundary ride' the questions of the interviewer.

I doubt he made any sensible or believable comment during the interview.

The fine art of a master politician. Being able to talk for hours on end and sound very knowledgeable without really saying anything.

• Like 4

mogo51
Posted
Posted

How true, I just the feeling that the eternal suffering of the poor that is compounded by large families, just

seemed lost on him!

I have no problem being a self exiled Catholic.

• Like 1

robert k
Posted
Posted

Only 2 million a year? Dream on. You know what they say about statistics. They do not have a good count of the people they have now, why would anyone believe their statistics? :)

Methersgate
Posted
Posted

I have a sister in law, Christine Javier, whom I would describe as the embodiment of the ordinary decent Filipina. She is a farmer's wife in Negros, and a devout Catholic - EXCEPT on the  issue of contraception. She is happily married with TWO kids in their early teens - and will fight for the right of Filipinas to limit their families to the number of children that they can afford to educate.

• Like 5