Hoping For New Life In The Philippines

reddingo
Posted
Posted

Hi all,I have been looking around this site for awhile now and thought it was about time I introduced myself. I am from Australia and have just turned 65 and am now on the age pension. Not owning a house and having to rent in Oz on the pension doesn't leave much to live on so am taking the plunge and moving to the Philippines.Going to Cebu first as I have been there three times before and each time have also been to a small town near pagadian in midanao (yes yes I know) but am going to look south of Cebu for a place to live. Also am interested in looking at bacolod as that seems nice looking on the internet. Any advice about these areas would be much appreciated. Thanks Adrian (reddingo)

• Like 1

virginprune
Posted
Posted

Welcome to the forum and good luck on your move

• Like 1

bows00
Posted
Posted

Good luck to you reddingo. Please keep us posted on your ventures because I will be joining your guys in about 2 years. Still undecided on the location to plant my roots, so let me know how you like Cebu because it is still on my list. Other places I am contemplating are Dumaguete, Subic Freeport, Angeles City and Tagaytay...

• Like 1

i am bob
Posted
Posted

Welcome to the forum!

It's best to start a new post to ask your questions... And, as you will see, everybody will have their own opinions on where is best...

• Like 1

Thomas
Posted
Posted
Also am interested in looking at bacolod as that seems nice looking on the internet. Any advice about these areas would be much appreciated.
JJReyes told the Philippine government have some plans to make Talisay close north of Bacolod specialy made for foreign retired specialicing at caretaking and health care of old. Even if you don't need it yet, it can perhaps be interesting to check.
  • Like 2

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

Welcome

I have moved your topic out of introductions so you will get answers to your questions. Be aware you should consult centrelink regarding your pension before leaving Australia permanently. Rules change all the time and for one you will lose any extra age pension benefits so you need to know how much your payments will be as they won't be the same as you get while living in Australia. Wasn't that many years back you would not get any pension from Aus gov if living in another country so know what you're up against to ensure you have enough to live on. 

:thumbsup:

• Like 4

lefties43332
Posted
Posted

Welcome and good luck.

• Like 2

reddingo
Posted
Posted

yea sorry to both Jollygoodfellow and i am bob, I realised that I had done the wrong thing just after I had posted that but I did'nt know how to edit it. Also Jollygoodfellow, yes I have been rescearching the pension bit quite a bit so do know what I am up against but think that I am better off in the Philippines or if it does'nt work out then somewhere else in Asia then struggleing in Oz. Thanks for your concern though and would just like to say that I enjoy reading this forum a lot. Adrian

• Like 1

gusincebu
Posted
Posted (edited)

Hi Adrian, welcome to the forum and welcome to retirement in The Philippines .. I will celebrate 3 yrs of retirement here , come October 1 , this year , spent my last 9 yrs in Oz, in Cairns, and retired here on an Aged Pension . Lots of really good options south of cebu city, on the east coast, Carcar city, Argao, Dalaguete and Alcoy ..all foreigner friendly, although Alcoy tends to be strongly German occupied ( if I can say that, without being Politically Incorrect ! )

My personal experience is in Toledo city ..West Coast side .. another extremely foreigner friendly spot .. 2 good sized malls , and a number of excellent eating and dining options. Rents are pretty reasonable, although the 3rd power station is being built just out of town, and the influx of expat, consultants and contractors does push them up a bit .. Toledo is about a 2 hour drive from Cebu City, serviced by bus and vhire (van) . There is a great view of Negros across the water , and San Carlos , another ideal option to consider is just a ferry ride away ..i guess 90 mins on ferry .. Currently I dont reside there ..but thats another story .. The only downside about living here on the pension, is, that, even though its still affordable, the Aus Dollar, having dtopped substantially means , just a little belt tightening on luxury spending , but in my opinion mate, you,re still way ahead of renting and living in Oz .. cheers Gus

Edited by gusincebu
  • Like 3

gusincebu
Posted
Posted

Sorry about the difficulty of reading my post, for some reason I cant seem to format it into paragraphs on this tablet ..

• Like 1