How Should We Prepare?

Thomas
Posted
Posted
We've been doing as Intrepid suggests and if it doesn't fit in a BB box we don't buy it.
So you know. BB boxes are NOT for transports when expats move, they are for sending SUPPORT to FILIPINOS, and there are rules what type of things which are allowed to be in them - although many don't follow the rules  :)  and FEW are cought, but there is a risk the custom will find them and add a lot of money in fees.  (It's ALLOWED to move most types of things custom free when immigrate (if follow some conditions) BUT saying it's BB it's a lie, which risk high fees, because then the custom don't see it as immigration goods, but goods ment to have custom fee and VAT.: I mean IF they notice:)
  • Like 3

i am bob
Posted
Posted

We've been doing as Intrepid suggests and if it doesn't fit in a BB box we don't buy it.
So you know. BB boxes are NOT for transports when expats move, they are for sending SUPPORT to FILIPINOS, and there are rules what type of things which are allowed to be in them - although many don't follow the rules  :)  and FEW are cought, but there is a risk the custom will find them and add a lot of money in fees.  (It's ALLOWED to move most types of things custom free when immigrate (if follow some conditions) BUT saying it's BB it's a lie, which risk high fees, because then the custom don't see it as immigration goods, but goods ment to have custom fee and VAT.: I mean IF they notice:)

If his wife is a returning Filipina, then she is the one that the BB Box is for - a Balikbayan!  

• Like 3

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
there are rules what type of things which are allowed to be in them - although many don't follow the rules 

You are correct, Thomas.  It is one of those things, like speeding, that is not legal but everybody does it until they get caught.

Here is a link to the balikbayan box rules for those who do not know them:

http://customs.gov.ph/faqs/balikbayan-boxes/

• Like 2

BluesDude
Posted
Posted

Since multiple balikbayan boxes are no longer allowed, do any of you have an idea approximately how much a container or a half container would cost from Mid-USA to Luzon? 

• Like 1

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted

We shipped a 20 foot container in 2012, once all the fees, taxes and duties were done cost was approx. 10k USD door to door

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
Since multiple balikbayan boxes are no longer allowed

When you read the rules I posted from the Philippines customs you may have read:

4. WHAT IS A CONSOLIDATED DOOR-TO-DOOR SHIPMENT?
Two (2) or more balikbayan boxes from two (2) or more individual consignors/senders abroad, assembled and consolidated at one point of origin/exportation and shipped together under a single master ocean bill of lading

So it sounds to me (my opinion only) like the customs people know that there are lots of filipinos who will send more than one box at a time.  Thus they seem to have given this 'wink, wink, nod, nod' clause where you can send multiple boxes if they are sent by 'different senders' in a consolidated shipment.

• Like 3

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

Have they started enforcing the rules on BB boxes?  I still know people sending multiple boxes... have not heard of any problem with it.  I know the rules - but they rarely apply in the real world.

• Like 1

Thomas
Posted
Posted

Since multiple balikbayan boxes are no longer allowed, do any of you have an idea approximately how much a container or a half container would cost from Mid-USA to Luzon? 

Many have send multiple boxes without problem recently too,

BUT I believe it's checked SOME more frequently.   

And someone told his was checked IN USA (San Fransisco ?) if the decription followed the rules and if the things inside followed the description.

Some things have problem to follow the rules anyway, but solution idea concerning AMOUNT of boxes. they can be to send to DIFFERENT recievers (friends or family-in-laws).  Then HOPE they will forward all to you   :)

And if you have someone left who can send them from your home country, some boxes can be send in an LATER turn.  It take a while to find where to settle anyway (or build) so better wait with things, which can wait, so they aren't needed to be moved around or be paid store fee for.

(As I wrote earlier, I plan to bring some later, when I visit my home country, but if that will be more seldom than planed, I have prepared ORDER things are needed, so my family would just need to switch some boxes to bb box, if I want some send instead of fetched.)

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted (edited)
but solution idea concerning AMOUNT of boxes. they can be to send to DIFFERENT recievers

Take a read of my post 16 Thomas.  The solution is to send multiple boxes from different SENDERS all consolidated to the same receiver.  When the guy picks up the boxes you are sending just be sure to tell him:  This one is from Ate Ann and that one is from Cousin Jun Jun and the other is from my wife etc etc and they are all going to the same place.  THAT is legal.  So far as I know you do not have to have all the senders ID in order to send them, just put their name on the box as sender and it should be fine.

Edited by Dave Hounddriver
  • Like 1

Thomas
Posted
Posted

but solution idea concerning AMOUNT of boxes. they can be to send to DIFFERENT recievers

Take a read of my post 16 Thomas.  The solution is to send multiple boxes from different SENDERS all consolidated to the same receiver.  When the guy picks up the boxes you are sending just be sure to tell him:  This one is from Ate Ann and that one is from Cousin Jun Jun and the other is from my wife etc etc and they are all going to the same place.  THAT is legal.  So far as I know you do not have to have all the senders ID in order to send them, just put their name on the box as sender and it should be fine.

OK.  But if I were the sender that would make me SUSPICIOUS, adding risk they will OPEN and check if there are any not allowed things there,

while in my solution they will have PASSED the custom before it become a risk  :)

• Like 1