P126-M Smuggled Rice Seized In Negros

Thomas
Posted
Posted

Palay=rice including the stems which is picked directly from the field, then dried, and it's still palay until it is milled, then it's rice.
Including the stems??   What are they calling them without just the stems then?

I thought "palay" mean them, which can be used as seeds, so WITHOUT the stems. No need to be on the stems then.

But I said SOME wrong   :)  anyway.   I ment where the rice husks are taken away, but NOT milled to white rice..

Yes Thomas. And I meant to say they thresh out the stems and send it to the mill. My mistake there.

And if it's not cleaned and threshed it's called "wet" palay..14 pesos/kg.

ok. Then we agree   :)

But why do they sell it for 14, when they are guaranteed 17p/kg  ??

Summary fromhttp://www.nfa.gov.ph/index.php?id1=22

;arch 2015

Palay   17,00    Dried + 0,20  Delivery  +0,20

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

Could it Contraband rice and they sell for what they can get with no Questions asked? :unsure:

:tiphat:  :rolleyes:

chris49
Posted
Posted (edited)

Could it Contraband rice and they sell for what they can get with no Questions asked? :unsure:

:tiphat:  :rolleyes:

Right Jack and Thomas. There's no contraband, illegal rice in this situation. All the surrounding land is owned by our relatives and neighbors. Plenty has changed hands over the years and there might be some dispute over ownership, but everyone chips in with the harvesting.

My 64 yo father in law sometime with help from mother in law will work 3 days picking and threshing and from that they might get 3 x 50 kg of palay per day, let's say 9 bags. That is hard work and extremely tiring. He is nice enough to reserve about 3 bags for us, the family. That leaves him 6 bags of palay to be cleaned and dried. That is one hell of an exercise and must be done on a cement floor preferably with cover. Our barangay provides that but there's competition for the space. And what if it rains meantime or there's any confusion over the allowed space. And how about the labor and the transportation?

Before they even get to the drying stage they have to thresh it out by hand removing all the stem and stalk.

Someone comes along with a truck and wads of cash and will buy all the "wet" palay in one swoop. They need the money and they are already exhausted, and they might go back and pick more rice. That's 14/kg/cash.

Wet palay might have some bits of debris like the stem. Dried palay does not.

The next step. There's another truck coming along to buy the dried palay and take it to the rice mill. Today 18/kg and has gone to 23/kg in the dry season. Hence, some people are storing big amounts inside their house waiting for the market,

Meanwhile we have our 3 bags to hold for a short time. We will dry it and take it to the mill. 150kg of palay=100kg of milled rice. Or more.So we get that free and that's once a year, and if we get it twice  it will be less the 2nd time. that's our commission for giving them food all year.

Note the holding period for "wet" palay can't be more that a few days. And for palay, it will depend on the storage, people have kept it for months but imo there's a risk involved.

There's another side business of having a truck and trucking the palay off to areas where there is a known shortage. Mill it and sell it directly.

Edited by chris49

Thomas
Posted
Posted
My 64 yo father in law sometime with help from mother in law will work 3 days picking and threshing and from that they might get 3 x 50 kg of palay per day, let's say 9 bags. That is hard work and extremely tiring.
Aren't there any younger (relatives) around, who they can put in work?   :)

(I assisted my neighnour, when I were 10, and my grandfather when I were younger than that.)

Note the holding period for "wet" palay can't be more that a few days. And for palay, it will depend on the storage, people have kept it for months but imo there's a risk involved.
Yes, but not only at the storage. PREBOILING add MONTHS it can be kept.  It kill possible insects and bacterias, but the OIL, which the much more nutrisious brown rice still have, get damaged earlier than white rice.

chris49
Posted
Posted

My 64 yo father in law sometime with help from mother in law will work 3 days picking and threshing and from that they might get 3 x 50 kg of palay per day, let's say 9 bags. That is hard work and extremely tiring.
Aren't there any younger (relatives) around, who they can put in work?   :)

(I assisted my neighnour, when I were 10, and my grandfather when I were younger than that.)

Yes, but not only at the storage. PREBOILING add MONTHS it can be kept.  It kill possible insects and bacterias, but the OIL, which the much more nutrisious brown rice still have, get damaged earlier than white rice.

Younger people have other things going on. A few young girls who are loyal to the parents might do it. Like my wife and her sister when they were younger...but no, no actually, you Filipino on the male side looks for the easier option.

Thomas
Posted
Posted
Younger people have other things going on. A few young girls who are loyal to the parents might do it. Like my wife and her sister when they were younger...but no, no actually, you Filipino on the male side looks for the easier option.
It's good they LOOK for better options,

BUT they can assist as long as they haven't got any  :mocking:  - many Filipinos are UNEMPLOYED  - and if they live close enough they can work some extra assisting with the harvest even if they have work...

((If my injury would have been ok enough, and I would be allowed to by the Philippine government (work permit which we don't get for such) I WOULD assist at least some during the hardest periods.   Many others go to gyms and PAY to get exersise...   :lol:

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
Right Jack and Thomas. There's no contraband, illegal rice in this situation.

Yes Chris, I guess it maybe was a little tongue in cheek but this Topic is about Smuggled rice so we are of that Mind about it's resale.

JP :tiphat:  :thumbsup:

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

It's good they LOOK for better options,

BUT they can assist as long as they haven't got any  :mocking:  - many Filipinos are UNEMPLOYED  - and if they live close enough they can work some extra assisting with the harvest even if they have work...

((If my injury would have been ok enough, and I would be allowed to by the Philippine government (work permit which we don't get for such) I WOULD assist at least some during the hardest periods.   Many others go to gyms and PAY to get exersise...   :lol:

You could always make the food for lunchtime and bring them water to drink ( if your injury will allow of course)

• Like 1