Cebu City....looking For A Few Things

Larry45
Posted
Posted

Headed over tomorrow to Cebu to do some shopping and relax a little bit.  Would prefer to focus on the latter and not spend all of my 36 hours (or so) chasing children's books and jalapenos.  

So to keep this short, I'm looking for some decent used bookstores, new bookstores, and a grocery store that has tortillas and other Mexican foods.  I know about National Bookstore and the used bookstore in Fuente Robinson's Mall (if it's still there), but there HAS to be more quality used or budget  bookstores somewhere in Cebu.  Any tips or recommendations are appreciated...thanks!

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

There is a small but nice new and used book store in Tabernoc mall Talisay Ctiy.

• Like 2

Gator
Posted
Posted
So to keep this short, I'm looking for some decent used bookstores, new bookstores, and a grocery store that has tortillas and other Mexican foods. I know about National Bookstore and the used bookstore in Fuente Robinson's Mall (if it's still there), but there HAS to be more quality used or budget bookstores somewhere in Cebu.

I was also looking for a few good used book stores here a while back as I wanted to take books into the jail (there's no library there) for some of the inmates I visit and basically I struck out. Reading for pleasure doesn't seem to be a popular past time here with the locals. Since you're looking for yourself, I suggest you consider a Kindle, Nook, even a cheap lightweight tablet (need to install an app such as "Calibre " to organize/read ePub & mobi files). I was reluctant to give up my paperbacks, but since making the switch a few years ago to a basic Nook I haven't looked back. I love the device and it's great that I can store hundreds of books on it. Suggest you stay with the basic "paper white" types as the others tend have a lower battery life and are heavier.

For Mexican/Tex-Mex sundries try the new Rustans at Ayala. In general they have quite a good selection of imported goods; naturally expect to pay a premium price.

• Like 5

jon1
Posted
Posted

On the ebooks, you don't have to buy a an Ereader to get them. Just sign up with Amazon and you can install an app on your computer, tablet or even smart phone. I have long given up on finding any decent books over here. I made the switch 2 years ago and have never looked book. I can find what I want in minutes and download quickly. Now I just have to watch my impulse buying.

• Like 3

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
tortillas

If they have a chain called "shop wise" there they might have tortillas. That's the only place here in manila that I have found that consistently carries tortillas. :cheersty:

• Like 1

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

Headed over tomorrow to Cebu to do some shopping and relax a little bit.  Would prefer to focus on the latter and not spend all of my 36 hours (or so) chasing children's books and jalapenos.  

So to keep this short, I'm looking for some decent used bookstores, new bookstores, and a grocery store that has tortillas and other Mexican foods.  I know about National Bookstore and the used bookstore in Fuente Robinson's Mall (if it's still there), but there HAS to be more quality used or budget  bookstores somewhere in Cebu.  Any tips or recommendations are appreciated...thanks!

You can get tortillas in Fooda on mango avenue the bookshops you mentioned are the only ones I know about.

• Like 1

WordsandMusic
Posted
Posted

Good Information to know, I'm an avid reader, I'm bringing all my song writing books over with me and my Guitar Mags are being packed and shipped as well, but I do worry about getting my little guy some good reading material.  Thanks for the insight!

• Like 1

Larry45
Posted
Posted

Thanks for the tips, guys!  Yeah, the kindle would be nice if it was just me, but we are 3 readers here and would be fighting over it.  Plus with the kid, I think she needs real books at her age.    :)

gusincebu
Posted
Posted

There is a used bookstore in SM Mall Cebu , on the very lower level, as you come out of the main entrance to the Food Court, turn left, and its the 4th shop on the left ..doesnt appear to have a name, just a big banner outside, saying " Book Sale ".

Actually the books appear to be rejects/seconds, rather than used.

• Like 3

RBM
Posted
Posted

I brought a couple of books at the one in Robinsons couple days ago. Takes a long time to find something there. Also same branch at Park Mall which is easier as has less people inside. All books have American authors. Guess there brought in the states and shipped over, still with time one can find the odd good book.

Traffic seems now a huge problem here, took me an hour in the car from Robinsons to SM. Believe there is an excellent Mexican in BTC we have not tried it as we stay near Fuente and just carn't put up with the drive going there. Not far in Ks but time wise different story.

Anyway best of luck in Cebu.

• Like 2