Do You Personally Know Your Barangay Captain Or Any Of The Councilors?

manofthecoldland
Posted
Posted

Some of us live in communities where we are the 'odd man', i.e. unusual resident. Its one thing to live in a gated subdivision with many expats. Its another if you are embedded rarity.

My query pertains to developing positive relationships within the local social-political structure.

Do you or your wife know and have a positive relationship with your local social structure?

How important (or not) is this?

• Like 4

Methersgate
Posted
Posted

This is not such a simple question. There is a fine line to be trodden here. It is certainly important to be known and liked in the community and not to be seen as "unfriendly". It is also advisable to keep out of local politics and never to be seen as a "trouble maker" and it is desirable not to be seen as a "soft touch" financially!

I leave all this to K, who is a talented "networker", and trust her judgment.

• Like 5

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

I have been in the same subdivision in the city for 1 year - I did not know the name of our barangay until last week.  I assume we have a capt??  No idea. 

Out in the provinc it may be more important?  but there it is usually almost all family anyway.

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

When you have problems, it is important to have connections.  That is people who know you and know the 'people that matter' in your particular circumstances. You do not have to know the barangay captain if you are friends with his brother in law.  In fact I find that better.  When circumstances arise where you need the benevolence of the barangay captain you want him to see you as the guy who never makes waves.  You're a good guy, and his brother in law vouches for you.  Much better than him seeing you as the pest who is always dropping by to curry favor.  But that is just what works for me.

• Like 5

expatuk2014
Posted
Posted (edited)

Edited by expatuk2014

virginprune
Posted
Posted

I have got to know my Barangay Captain fairly well. I am lucky in that my SO and his daughter have been best friends for years. In fact he is a neighbour to her family home. My SO says I have been accepted here because of my good attitude towards the people I live amongst. I would consider that as the most important issue but getting on with people of influence certainly can help to smooth out any potential problems.

• Like 5

chris49
Posted
Posted

Some of us live in communities where we are the 'odd man', i.e. unusual resident. Its one thing to live in a gated subdivision with many expats. Its another if you are embedded rarity.

My query pertains to developing positive relationships within the local social-political structure.

Do you or your wife know and have a positive relationship with your local social structure?

How important (or not) is this?

The smaller the Barangay the more important it becomes. And being distant relatives is sort of normal in small provincial areas. They are sub-barangay's I think.

We know the Cap, but he doesn't speak fluent English. Somehow the family has interaction with him, but it doesn't concern me.

I know 2 other Cap's and have had a few drinks with one guy.  A Cap stays neutral so don't expect any close friendship or favors out of turn.

We got married down at City Hall (Magsingal, Ilocos  Sur). Another friend and also Captain and wife were Nenong and  Nenang. But Nenang got sick and was replaced by another family friend. local retired Headmistress and as it so happened my wife was a friend of her daughter, so knock on effect. we got to stay in their house in Manila a few times and even took grandma with us.

That's the way it is in the province. We took all these people and City Hall staff out for lunch and 2 extra cars were "donated"...for those who didn't attend we left money for lunch/merienda.

You like to think it helps, but don't get complacent and don't rely on it.

• Like 3

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

I just asked my wife... she did not know the name of the barangay either ha ha...  Back in her province the barangay captain was, of course, an uncle. 

But I am friends with the governor's nephew, and another friend is a judge - does that help?   :tiphat:

• Like 1

chris49
Posted
Posted

I just asked my wife... she did not know the name of the barangay either ha ha...  Back in her province the barangay captain was, of course, an uncle. 

But I am friends with the governor's nephew, and another friend is a judge - does that help?   :tiphat:

In Ilolilo that alone can get you killed, but otherwise it's a big help. :no:

• Like 1