Most Sensible Health Options For 1 To 2 Year Stay

Adam Lee
Posted
Posted

Hi all,

Thinking of taking a career break and living in the Philippines for at least a year and maybe for as long as two. Too young (or broke) for retirement so would be planning on returning to the UK after this period unless circumstances changed but my question is what to do about health care really during my stay?

Don't know a great deal about private health insurance as we have the National Heath Service here in the UK but I'm not sure whether to just treat this whole thing as an extended vacation and purchase some "long-stay" travel/health insurance the same as you would if you were planning a vacation for a couple of weeks. I know I can get it for a year at a time at a cost of around £300 to £500 but not sure if this is the best/only option. I've heard of PhilHealth and it looks relatively cheap and available to foreigners but I'm wondering if I'd be gaining anything, or would a combination of the two be a possible option? Say PhilHealth for minor things and pay the difference and a travel insurance claim for anything critical?

Sorry to be so vague but the whole area of health is really confusing me so if anyone can offer advice or point me in the right direction it would be much appreciated.

mogo51
Posted
Posted

From your photo you seem quite young, fit and healthy. I do not know details in Phils, but in Thailand it is

expensive, but less so for you as you are younger. You can always take the punt as I have been doing for

6 years. Depends if you engage in way out extreme sports etc.

jon1
Posted
Posted

Philhealth is only for foreigners with a filipino spouse. Philhealth is only good for hospitalization (not for outpatient).  I have heard of being able to get private insurance (Blue Cross/Shield) for about 16000p annually. 

I had travel insurance with my former employer. I had to pay the hospital bill up front and apply for reimbursement. 

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
Philhealth is only for foreigners with a filipino spouse.

There are a few threads that say any foreigner with a tourist ACR card can get it.  I do not have it but I have heard I can go to the PhilHealth booth at Robinson's mall and get it instantly.  One day I will try.

• Like 3

Gator
Posted
Posted
Philhealth is only for foreigners with a filipino spouse. Philhealth is only good for hospitalization (not for outpatient).

I don't know where you got your info, but it's completely wrong. I have Phil Health and I'm not married. It covers both in patient and out patient care as well as discounts at some doctors plus emergency treatment. Google their website for a complete list of covered items.

any foreigner with a tourist ACR card can get it

Yes, you do need an ACR card.

I went to the Phil Health office at the corner of N. Escario St. and Gorordo Ave in Cebu City (ground floor of the Golden Peak Hotel; entrance on Gorordo next to the car dealer). The whole process only took a few minutes and I walked out with the ID card in hand (had to add a photo and get it laminated later). Cost = 200 pesos per month; paid quarterly from the beginning of the most recent quarter; I paid for a full year in advance.

Blue Cross/Blue Shield of the Philippines is another good option, but more costly. A friend has it, he told me used it once after he had a motor bike crash. He had to pay the hospital bill himself then submit it to BC/BS for re-imbursement. That was 4 months ago; he's still waiting.

• Like 1

Adam Lee
Posted
Posted

Thanks a lot for the info: certainly gives me a few things to follow up on. That was my understanding regarding Phil Health too Gator but I'll certainly be looking into the Blue Cross option too.

Thomas
Posted
Posted
Thinking of taking a career break and living in the Philippines for at least a year and maybe for as long as two. Too young (or broke) for retirement so would be planning on returning to the UK after this period unless circumstances changed
I don't know your occupation/experience/skills, but have you thought of try to earn some in Phils?    (I think mainly of English teacher or own business.)   Perhaps you will earn enough to stay forever   :)

Adam Lee
Posted
Posted

I have thought about that thanks Thomas so I guess if I really had to stay then I'd have to do something as I only have enough funds to last me for a couple of years as things stand.

I have reasonably advanced skills in System Administration (computer networks/systems), plenty of experience and hold down a responsible position at present but I'm not sure how far any of that will get me over in Phil. Oh and I'm learning Tagalog at the moment even though I believe the language used in business is English anyway but I guess it can't harm and besides, it's enjoyable.

I have actually had a look on jobstreet and there seems to be plenty of jobs available so I guess if it ever came to it I could chance my arm. If anyone has any thoughts on this it would be great to hear them oh and I do appreciate that the pay isn't going to be on a par lol.

That's actually reminded me of something I came across on another forum and have no idea whether it's true or not so maybe someone with better knowledge could shed some light. The general idea of it was that in order for a potential employer to apply for a work visa on your behalf you yourself as the potential employee would have to already be in Phil, say on a tourist visa or something. This doesn't really make any sense to me but it's stuck in my head all the same, unless the rule's there to discourage of course. Can't really imagine that a big multi-national with offices in Phil wouldn't be able to pre-apply for a work visa for an employee currently based in another country???

Anyway.....

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

Can't really imagine that a big multi-national with offices in Phil wouldn't be able to pre-apply for a work visa for an employee currently based in another country???

You are quite correct to think this. The work permit would be part of the visa arrangement it is how you would enter the country.

I am not to sure how else it can be done as  it is against the Law to Work on a 9 a tourist visa so you would never ever be interviewed for a job. If you had a 13a permanent visa you would not need a work permit anyway

JMHO

JP :tiphat:

• Like 1

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

Philhealth is only for foreigners with a filipino spouse. Philhealth is only good for hospitalization (not for outpatient).

I don't know where you got your info, but it's completely wrong. I have Phil Health and I'm not married. It covers both in patient and out patient care as well as discounts at some doctors plus emergency treatment. Google their website for a complete list of covered items.

any foreigner with a tourist ACR card can get it

Yes, you do need an ACR card.

I went to the Phil Health office at the corner of N. Escario St. and Gorordo Ave in Cebu City (ground floor of the Golden Peak Hotel; entrance on Gorordo next to the car dealer). The whole process only took a few minutes and I walked out with the ID card in hand (had to add a photo and get it laminated later). Cost = 200 pesos per month; paid quarterly from the beginning of the most recent quarter; I paid for a full year in advance.

Blue Cross/Blue Shield of the Philippines is another good option, but more costly. A friend has it, he told me used it once after he had a motor bike crash. He had to pay the hospital bill himself then submit it to BC/BS for re-imbursement. That was 4 months ago; he's still waiting.

Quite right Gator I also had Phil health before I was married.