Watch What You Say Or You Could Be A Persona Non Grata

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

I think this news report is a wake up call that we are only guest in the Philippines so watch what you say. While on that subject I have noticed a few post recently which mention fixers or illegal ways of doing things.This is breaking the forum rules so what you do is your business but it won't be posted on the forum.  :thumbsup:

Sorsogon declares American blogger persona non grata

LEGAZPI CITY: The Sangguniang Panglalawigan of Sorsogon declared blogger Nathan Allen, a citizen of United States, persona non grata to protest his derogatory remarks against the Donsol tourism office that was published in his “I dream of this” weblog last month. Board member Frank Eric Ravanilla of Sorsogon filed a resolution declaring Allen persona non grata that was approved by the council during its regular session this week. Part of Allen’s article read, “Is the DOT [Department of Tourism] just hiring members of their families who need jobs? I hope not . . . these people need to actually be qualified!” Allen got mad when he was not readily accommodated by Donsol tourism personnel upon his arrival at the place.

http://www.manilatimes.net/sorsogon-declares-american-blogger-persona-non-grata/180056/

• Like 3

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

The problem occurs when foreigners believe their Freedom of Speech rights extend to a country that has libel laws which do not care if what you say is true.  They need to remember this is a country "run like hell by filipinos" to paraphrase past president Quezon.

• Like 2

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted (edited)
Sangguniang Panglalawigan

I am not trying to start a raging debate here, in fact I agree with JGF 110% about us being guests here and we should not only mind our manners, but our tounges in public and our fingers on the internet.

But I was wondering if the above organization actually have the power to black list or will they need to go to the BI to have it done? I googled "Sangguniang Panglalawigan" and found the page for the Bulacan Sangguniang Panglalawigan and found this on the FAQ section of their web site

"A resolution is a mere expression of the opinion or sentiment of the local legislative body on matters relating to proprietary function and to private concerns. It is temporary in character."

So if I am reading this right it sounds to me that Mr. Frank Eric Ravanilla is just having a hissy fit and using his position to get some pay back.

Let me reiterate that I am not approving of what my countryman wrote on his blog, in fact even though if it prove the resolution has no teeth to it, one thing is for sure, this guys life in that town is going to be miserable if he stays there.

Just wondering if I am reading this all correctly as there are several questions I have been wondering about the different levels of government here. :cheersty:

Edited by scott h
  • Like 2

i am bob
Posted
Posted

A resolution is put forth, voted on and then enacted... In other words, you don't want to be the subject of a resolution!

• Like 2

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
In other words, you don't want to be the subject of a resolution!

Agreed, agreed, but the question is, what are the ramifications of the resolution. But the question is does this level of govement actually have the power to legally cause this guy problems. Found this on wiki.

In diplomacy, the term persona non grata (Latin, plural: personae non gratae), literally meaning "an unwelcome person," refers to a foreign person whose entering or remaining in a particular country is prohibited by that country's government. It is the most serious form of censure which one country can apply to foreign diplomats, who are otherwise protected by diplomatic immunity from arrest and other normal kinds of prosecution.

and

In non-diplomatic usage, referring to someone as persona non grata is to say that he or she is ostracized. Such a person is for all intents and purposes culturally shunned, so as to be figuratively nonexistent.

Just wondering if the Sangguniang Panglalawigan will have to go to BI to get him black listed, can they have him jailed or something, or just make his life miserable?

Guess I just have to much time on my hands tonight lolol

i am bob
Posted
Posted

In this case, it's just a city council declaring... If he is a resident, they could make him leave the area... And, should BI pick up on it, he could end up deported as well... It all depends on how strong it all comes out and that's hard to tell by the news report...

• Like 1

Wrye83
Posted
Posted

Of all the government agencies to talk smack about in the Philippines as an expat, immigration has to be one of the most retarded options one could choose. The guy clearly did not think that through.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

I think the city resolution are just them, locally, saying they don't want you.  I believe it has to come from BI to be really official... like nationwide, pack your bags and go home, official...   BUT if push comes to shove I would bet the BI would take the city officials side over our side.  I certainly would not want to bet my visa against it ha ha  :tiphat:

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
I think the city resolution are just them, locally, saying they don't want you.  I believe it has to come from BI to be really official.

OK, here you go, from BI officially:

Memorandum Order No. ADD-01-005 dated March 29, 2001 lists down grounds upon which foreign nationals may be excluded or disallowed entry into the country. One of the grounds, anchored on the interest of public safety, is when a foreign national shows disrespect or makes offensive utterances to symbols of Philippine authority. . . . more

• Like 4

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

Yes, I am aware of that... but doesn't it have to come from BI, not the city of wherever?  I mean if the city of Iloilo said I was persona non grata, but BI does not say it, am I deported?

I am in no hurry to find out from personal experience.  ha ha  :tiphat: