At What Point In Time Do Hand Over Control. Financial?

Ynot
Posted
Posted

Hey Chris were you in the forces, because from your description and list it took back to my cadet days!   Everyone is different, some people are better at somethings than others, but we are all capable of learning new skills and abilities or improving skills and abilities with opportunity and positive reinforcement.  

The majority of us as we get older will need to make sure we have put safeguards in place so that those we love and trust are not left out in the cold should something happen to us, whether it be death or disablement physical or mental.  We need to make sure that our loved ones have access or are at least aware of what we have invested outside of the Philippines should that be the case. 

I am looking at retirement in 24 months, and hopefully I will be active and healthy for the next 20 years, however if something does happen to me before then, then my gf/wife will be aware of what i have and where it is, and there will be sufficient monies in an account to tide her over until the will has been dealt with.  Estates can take time, and if you have offspring from a previous relationship they need to be told the lay of the land to try and reduce any challenges to the will, so you need to cater for the offspring as well, even thats no guarantee.

Sorry I went of track there

Methersgate
Posted
Posted

I reckon a birthday party is 10K. In the countryside, that covers  hire of videoke, purchase and cooking of lechon baboy, other food, drinks. In the city, the same amount is a night out on the town involving a disco. Either way I hand over the 10K and that's it.  Assume six birthdays and family reunions  per year and set aside 5K a month.

K is not good with money and neither am I so we need to budget religiously. One thing we have done is that all requests for money from the family go to K (who almost always says no) and she is responsible for recovering loans. Learned that one the hard way.

• Like 1

chris49
Posted
Posted

Hey Chris were you in the forces, because from your description and list it took back to my cadet days!   Everyone is different, some people are better at somethings than others, but we are all capable of learning new skills and abilities or improving skills and abilities with opportunity and positive reinforcement.  

The majority of us as we get older will need to make sure we have put safeguards in place so that those we love and trust are not left out in the cold should something happen to us, whether it be death or disablement physical or mental.  We need to make sure that our loved ones have access or are at least aware of what we have invested outside of the Philippines should that be the case. 

I am looking at retirement in 24 months, and hopefully I will be active and healthy for the next 20 years, however if something does happen to me before then, then my gf/wife will be aware of what i have and where it is, and there will be sufficient monies in an account to tide her over until the will has been dealt with.  Estates can take time, and if you have offspring from a previous relationship they need to be told the lay of the land to try and reduce any challenges to the will, so you need to cater for the offspring as well, even thats no guarantee.

Sorry I went of track there

I did serve time in the AF and as a civilian in SaudI Arabia, which was very similar to military service.

Thomas
Posted
Posted
I reckon a birthday party is 10K.
10k pesos for a birthday PARTY??!!  That's much MORE than what's common in Sweden...

10k x e g 10 kids =100k   That's MORE than many Filipino families earn in a YEAR.  They need to survive all the other days too   :)

Methersgate
Posted
Posted

10k pesos for a birthday PARTY??!!  That's much MORE than what's common in Sweden...

10k x e g 10 kids =100k   That's MORE than many Filipino families earn in a YEAR.  They need to survive all the other days too   :)

I think we are at cross purposes. I don't mean a kid's birthday party, and that 10K is for 40-60 adults.

bows00
Posted
Posted

Based on my experience with Filipino families here in Hawaii, the wife is quite dominant. It is common for the husband to hand her his paycheck and receive an allowance.

Thomas
Posted
Posted

I think we are at cross purposes. I don't mean a kid's birthday party, and that 10K is for 40-60 adults.

(Off topic)

Oh you spend MORE at grown up birthdays!   

(Beside perhaps them, who find 50th important) we spend LESS than 2 k pesos at grown up's birthday parties, MORE at kids  :)  in my family.     When I got old enough to sign deals myself, I said I will bother next time, when I reach 75. But perhaps I will bother to celebrate, when I reach retirement age.  Since then I even have to write a note in my calender to remember my OWN birthday  :mocking:

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted

My wife has a BS degree and so she is used to doing her own finances. Now, she does ours. Mainly utilities and groceries.  She does fine the way it is. We have a joint checking account and I buy my wants and needs. 

We do not buy any large purchases on credit and do not use our credit card for anything. We choose to use our creit card as an ATM card for whenever we need some cash. When we travel, I use my US bank card to book online our flight and hotel reservations.

• Like 1

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted
Assume six birthdays and family reunions per year and set aside 5K a month.

I have 1 birthday a year, and so does my wife.  That makes 2 that I pay for.  I am not paying for everyone's party.  And I don't spend anywhere near 10K on mine or my wife's.

• Like 3

chris49
Posted
Posted

Assume six birthdays and family reunions per year and set aside 5K a month.

I have 1 birthday a year, and so does my wife.  That makes 2 that I pay for.  I am not paying for everyone's party.  And I don't spend anywhere near 10K on mine or my wife's.

We drop our own birthdays and give parties to the kids, full works, tent up, videoke, 1-2 goats,cake, drinks.

We ignore the others esp on the side of drinks, that's a trap and can easily get out of control.

In the event of getting invited out we cancel our home food and we MIGHT give a small contribution if it seems the right thing to do 500-1000.

• Like 1