A Foreigner's Rap Sheet (editorial)

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted

And yet another example how one mans past and possible actions could end up affecting how the rest of us are seen and treated. A foreigner's rap sheet Cebu may be a growing tourist haven but sadly it is attracting its share of shady characters along with the tourists and investors who want to stay and set up shop in the province.Such was the case with Nils Frode Steen Aksnes, who was killed after allegedly holding hostage several girls and a handyman inside his home in Grant Ville Subdivision, Consolacion town in northern Cebu.According to the police, the foreigner's nine-year-old daughter may be the key witness in the murder case against Aksnes. But the girl is still under trauma after last week

Mik
Posted
Posted

There is no criminal background check for a foreigner here on a tourist visa or balikbayan. Is the writer of the article suggesting that be changed? That would pretty much kill tourism.Before moving here I applied for a 13(a) visa (permanent resident). I had to submit a police clearance to the Philippine consulate in US. Actually I feel this is a BS article. Note that it is an Editorial. The article is full of speculation. It doesn't say what kind of visa the deceased was here on but it still asserts that there could have been bribes to BI that permitted him into the country. The author is anti-foreigner, a xenophobe?The victim here is the murdered foreigner. It's wrong to dig up one's past to see if he deserved to die. He is not alive to defend himself of accusations. The focus ought to be on the three killers. What is their background? Why did they keep stabbing him even after he was on the floor? Is it self defense to stab someone in the back? Why didn't the alleged hostages just escape when they were free? Even if only one was free he or she could have escaped and summoned help. If the foreigner had possession of the gun why didn't he fire it? Was he already unconscious or asleep? If he was unable to fire the gun why was it necessary to stab him so many times on his front and back? It sure looks like murder. The killers explanation of self defense fails to explain why they needed to keep stabbing him until he was dead. Wouldn't it be enough to just to hit on the head with the bottle (as they claimed) and then run out of the house? Why stay around and kill him? That is not self defense.

jamesmusslewhite
Posted
Posted

This is going to trial and all the details will come out in court. If the girls were treated as reported in these articles, than he got what he deserved. If they conspired to murder him than his family will get justice for his unjust murder.If he did what those girl claimed he did to them, than he got off easy. If they were my nieces and they had escaped an informed me of his actions; I promise you I would have done far worst to him. That is not boast that is just fact, because I would have changed his sex. He would have been introduced to "Cut or Dangle."

Bruce
Posted
Posted
This is going to trial and all the details will come out in court. If the girls were treated as reported in these articles, than he got what he deserved. If they conspired to murder him than his family will get justice for his unjust murder.If he did what those girl claimed he did to them, than he got off easy. If they were my nieces and they had escaped an informed me of his actions; I promise you I would have done far worst to him. That is not boast that is just fact, because I would have changed his sex. He would have been introduced to "Cut or Dangle."
"Dangle" ? SugarwareZ-011.gif Why there is a Jim Dangle on Reno 911...... perhaps you have met.......

jamesmusslewhite
Posted
Posted (edited)
"Dangle" ? SugarwareZ-011.gif Why there is a Jim Dangle on Reno 911...... perhaps you have met.......
It was used by Chapter 13 Hell's Angles and Texas's Bandido Nation "one-percenter" motorcycle gangs, to punish men stupid enough to mess with member's old ladies (girlfriend/wife) or sisters."Cut or Dangle" is when you take a man and raise him 5 feet up in on the side of a tree and you spike his testicles to the tree trunk. Just before you release him to free hang on the side of the tree, you put a pocket knife in his hand. He has a choice he can "cut or dangle". Most men will cut, eventually, if they do not do something stupid like drop the knife.....Been a lot of prick's nutts left nailed to trees, as their owners walked to find help. Edited by jamesmusslewhite

Jungle
Posted
Posted
It was used by Chapter 13 Hell's Angles and Texas's Bandido Nation "one-percenter" motorcycle gangs, to punish men stupid enough to mess with member's old ladies (girlfriend/wife) or sisters."Cut or Dangle" is when you take a man and raise him 5 feet up in on the side of a tree and you spike his testicles to the tree trunk. Just before you release him to free hang on the side of the tree, you put a pocket knife in his hand. He has a choice he can "cut or dangle". Most men will cut, eventually, if they do not do something stupid like drop the knife.....Been a lot of prick's nutts left nailed to trees, as their owners walked to find help.
YES....... somebody else who believes "an eye for an eye".if anybody played with my children, and i found out, i would try to move heaven and earth to get my hands on them.... and i promise that they would suddenly learn all about pain.... i may not nail em to a tree, but they would be asking to die........ SugarwareZ-267.gif

No name
Posted
Posted
There is no criminal background check for a foreigner here on a tourist visa or balikbayan. Is the writer of the article suggesting that be changed? That would pretty much kill tourism.
There has been some improvement in this in the last month. Not a background check I don't think. Just the ability to better screen wanted people.The Philippines recently joined an Interpol program, I guess computerized that they can tap into to see if a person is wanted. Quite a few have been busted trying to get into the country in recent weeks. The BI making sure it gets press, I suppose hoping that fewer will try to get in.A US police clearance? I didn't know police did that in the US. What indicated not wanted? I don't understand.

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted
A US police clearance? I didn't know police did that in the US. What indicated not wanted? I don't understand.
http://www.fbi.gov/hq/cjisd/fprequest.htmAn FBI Identification Record, often referred to as a Criminal History Record or Rap Sheet, is a listing of certain information taken from fingerprint submissions retained by the FBI in connection with arrests and, in some instances, federal employment, naturalization, or military service. If the fingerprints are related to an arrest, the Identification Record includes name of the agency that submitted the fingerprints to the FBI, the date of arrest, the arrest charge, and the disposition of the arrest, if known to the FBI. All arrest data included in an Identification Record is obtained from fingerprint submissions, disposition reports and other reports submitted by agencies having criminal justice responsibilities.The United States Department of Justice Order 556-73 establishes rules and regulations for the subject of an FBI Identification Record to obtain a copy of his or her own Record for review. The FBI
  • Like 1

TheMason
Posted
Posted
There is no criminal background check for a foreigner here on a tourist visa or balikbayan. Is the writer of the article suggesting that be changed? That would pretty much kill tourism.Before moving here I applied for a 13(a) visa (permanent resident). I had to submit a police clearance to the Philippine consulate in US.
The background check is not required if you enter on a tourist visa and then convert to a 13(a). I think background checks for short-term visitors is a bad idea, but if you're going to stay long-term, I don't see anything wrong with it. After one extension on a tourist visa there should be more rigorous checks before another extension is granted. There are many decent expats living in the Philippines, but there are also a lot of people with undesirable backgrounds. Requiring some sort of police clearance would help deter the undesirable visitors.Asking for criminal record checks upon entry is pretty normal. If you're in the US travelling to Canada, they're not going to let you in if you're a convicted felon. Even a DUI conviction is enough to bar you. When applying for my wife's US visa we had to submit a police clearance from every barangay she's lived in for more than 6 months since she turned 16. Luckily, she hasn't moved around too much or that would have been a nightmare to accomplish.

tom_shor
Posted
Posted
There is no criminal background check for a foreigner here on a tourist visa or balikbayan. Is the writer of the article suggesting that be changed? That would pretty much kill tourism.Before moving here I applied for a 13(a) visa (permanent resident). I had to submit a police clearance to the Philippine consulate in US.
The background check is not required if you enter on a tourist visa and then convert to a 13(a). I think background checks for short-term visitors is a bad idea, but if you're going to stay long-term, I don't see anything wrong with it. After one extension on a tourist visa there should be more rigorous checks before another extension is granted. There are many decent expats living in the Philippines, but there are also a lot of people with undesirable backgrounds. Requiring some sort of police clearance would help deter the undesirable visitors.Asking for criminal record checks upon entry is pretty normal. If you're in the US travelling to Canada, they're not going to let you in if you're a convicted felon. Even a DUI conviction is enough to bar you. When applying for my wife's US visa we had to submit a police clearance from every barangay she's lived in for more than 6 months since she turned 16. Luckily, she hasn't moved around too much or that would have been a nightmare to accomplish.
They used to just require an NBI clearence for background checks.