How Could An Expat Ever Be Bored Living In Da Philippines?

RBM
Posted
Posted

I have not gotten bored (yet anyway) in the 2.5 years since retiring here, that might change in a few years, who knows. I would be happier if the wife was a bit more adventurous and that she would like to drive around the island and explore more, but after 20 plus years of marriage, we know who calls the shots.

My one real regret is the lack of organized athletics. I was very active before retiring and played racquetball daily. Here it seems that once a man turns 30 he starts working on his beer gut lolol. Would love to join a senior basketball league but so far have seen none. To hot to play tennis, and I suck at golf (and its expensive lol). Cycling would be tantamount to suicide IMHO :rolleyes:. (if the wife would let me anyway :angry: ). 

So my daily routine to work up a sweat is to walk hard. about 5 k a day at a very fast pace. I have heard that I have picked up the nickname of "the crazy walking Kano" around the area.

Scott, tennis best early am around 6.30 if you can manage. Like me seems your into fitness, scout out some tracks with trees bring plenty water. Strange but even if it appears pretty barren iyour likely to find many hiking areas offering shade.

Maybe join a gym, our gym is like something out of a museum, the X trainer kept breaking, ended up we bought one on special for just P7k. Now use gym just for weights and some leg exercise.

Yes cycling can be dangerous but with some research sure your able find streets that are OK as we have. Also a cheap off road bike is great way to explore out of way places. Bound to be some resorts around where if your a local they will offer discounts on their pools...

Always heaps to do just find the time seems to be the problem. Good luck with your activities.

• Like 2

calasiaobound
Posted
Posted

Boredom sets into a boring mind.its all perspective frankly. Think positively and your life becomes positive

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Having a Tesla coil in the back yard would be loads of fun too.

teslacolorredbilat0081600.jpg

• Like 4

DavidK
Posted
Posted

You can be bored anywhere if you're determined to be. So long as there's beer to be drunk, books to read, sport to watch on TV, golf to play and a wife/GF* to annoy how can you be bored? 

(* I recommend one or the other, not both. If you have both you're not likely to bored but it might be a bit too exciting.)

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

David, you had me at cold beer and hot Filipinas. :tiphat:  :attention:

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
Having a Tesla coil in the back yard would be loads of fun too.

Old55, you are one sick puppy lolol :hystery:

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Takes one to know one.  :thumbsup:

• Like 1

Thomas
Posted
Posted
So long as there's beer to be drunk
Well. I have seen many SAD drunk   :boohoo:   so I DON'T recomend having geting drunk as hobby...  :mocking: 
  • Like 1

canadamale
Posted
Posted

I am not the type to get bored very often, when in the Philippines i can just go for a short walk and watch the people, maybe stop in a 7/11 and have a cold drink or coffee, maybe converse with whomever sits next to me. When I eventually live there full time, i will have a motorcycle to keep me entertained. Same things I do in canada cept I actually find I talk to more people in the philippines

• Like 2

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
when in the Philippines i can just go for a short walk and watch the people, maybe stop in a 7/11 and have a cold drink or coffee

Interesting that I read this immediately after getting back from a short walk where my gf and I walked up to the local 'Super 7' (a 7-11 clone) and had a magnum ice cream.  People chat with us along the way and I watch the people.  The most interesting part was when we walked by the local girlie bar and one of the girls there invited us in quite aggressively.  The interesting part was when my gf wanted us to take her up on the offer.  I was the one who convinced her to keep walking as the cost of going in there was going to wreck the weekly budget and I was not convinced that my gf could handle the bar girls flirting with me, although she said she could take it.  Hmmmmm and people get bored here?  How????

• Like 2