First Visit To The Philippines -- Trip Report

Josh
Posted
Posted

Cyberbro:

No offense taken though I think you misunderstood my comments.

I was saying that it was an eye opening experience.

Before the trip I thought I was pretty travel seasoned.

After this trip I realize I have barely scratched the surface.

I do realize that I visited the most Americanized part.

I agree completely that a few weeks in one local region does not make me an expert on the entire region / continent.

From  the west coast you can find a direct flight.

I chose a layover in S. Korea.

Fore me it was like a free bonus destination.

If you have a long enough layover, there is a free tour of the city.

• Like 5

Kuya John
Posted
Posted

Josh

Full marks for your report.

Next time try Island hopping, not to expensive and trips can be arranged from Manila.

Take a look at South travel agency for 3/4/5 days ( no I'm not on commission).

regards JB

• Like 1

WordsandMusic
Posted
Posted

Being a non vietnam veteran, my first big culture shock was South Korea in 1979. As the plane flew beneath the clouds I got my first glimpse of rice paddies. Strangely it all seemed so familiar to me, like I had been there before. I suddenly had a sense of calmness about being there. I have never forgot that first moment. As I stepped from the plane, the smells of the rice paddies filled my nostrils and took my breath away. I found the people of South Korea very kind and helpful. Especially the farmers I came in contact with. I was a surveyor and dealt with many of the country folks there. It was my first real contact with poverty like I had never seen before. The children were beautiful and full of curiosity. As I performed my surveys I would pass out Chocolate and other treats, sometimes buying food and ice cream for as many as twenty children at the time. One US dollar was a thousand to 1200 won. You could buy a lot back then with a dollar. I would get on a bus and go as far as It would take me, then hop another bus and go a little further.  I would stop in at restaurants and eat, they would be amazed by me, like they had not ever seen an American before, to spite having a large number of military there. A few times people would come up and pet the hair on my arms like I was a cat or something. A lot of folks didn't like South Korea, but I immersed myself in the culture and people, learning some of the language and loving the food. Not all was wine and roses there. I seen and witnessed some ugliness and some severe prejudice, especially towards children with mixed blood, ( Children of the dust ). I started visiting a local Catholic orphanage that took care of many of these children. My friends and I started buying them coats and food, what ever they needed to get through. That was the most rewarding part of my stay in South Korea, helping those who could not help themselves. Philippines is on par with that for me. I know South Korea is nothing like what I experienced back in 1979. I had a lay over and thought It would be fun to reconnect. Wish I hadn't tried. For me the Filipino people are beautiful, humble and gracious. I'm talking for the most part that has been my experience. Lapu-Lapu, parts of Cebu, the smaller Providences. I only wish they would do more for their poor, infrastructure and housing. My wife is from Mindanao and won't let me venture that direction, but I hear parts of it are beautiful.         

• Like 5

virginprune
Posted
Posted

[quote My wife is from Mindanao and won't let me venture that direction, but I hear parts of it are beautiful.

Where in Mindanao is your wife from? I can understand her reticence if she comes from southwest or Cotabato City area. The east and southeast is relatively safe, I would say much more so than Manila area. These parts of Mindanao are very lovely, especially Lake Sebu area and Sarangani province has some beautiful beaches.

• Like 2

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted
After 24 hours plus in airports I just wanted to get safely to my destination with my luggage.

I usually agree with this one!  After 24 hours of travel I just want to get to my hotel - and will pay extra.  Isn't the South Korea airport awesome?   Free showers are nice after 15 hours in a plane.

Sounds like you had a good time.  :tiphat:

• Like 1

Medic Mike
Posted
Posted

great report ! more or less the experience as me on my first visit !

mind you I did get a shock when we stopped at a restaurant and seeing the guard with a Rifle !!

wasent told about that,  :rolleyes: coming from the UK where most of the police are unarmed was a bit of a surprise.

I love the guard across from the taxi rank at Ayala that is guarding the parking lot, I have seen him heaps of times packing an AR15...hahaha

• 2 weeks later...
FlyAway
Posted
Posted

Nice to hear a successful and fun visit! Hope you have many more. Definitely get out and explore.