English Is Not Their First Languagee

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

It is not just hotel clerks... in my Rotary club I have the same problem talking to members.  Judges, retired generals, city councilmen, businessmen of all sorts... does not matter. 

Use. small. words.  talk. very. slowly. 

It does not help ha ha  :tiphat:

• Like 2

mogo51
Posted
Posted

On my recent visit to Phils with my gf was expecting communication to be far less difficult thatn it is is

in Thailand - WRONG. Give yourself an uppercut!

Even my English degree gf will just pretend she understands what I am saying - why do they do that????

• Like 1

Vince Runza
Posted
Posted

Speaking to you now as a freelance writer who makes his living making sure my clients are NOT misunderstood, I see the problem. Yes, there's a lack of understanding, when it comes to the English language. It's a mishmash of several different languages, filtered by the local dialect you learned. I've had conversations with British folks who seem to be speaking a foreign language, compared to my American English background.

I'm not apologizing (or is it 'apologising'?) for Filipinos who claim to be fluent in English. They are, in a manner of speaking. So am I, in a manner of speaking, despite not being English. However, if you put all your effort into making yourself understood, you will be doomed to failure.

You need to get local, and figure out how to make sure you are NOT misunderstood. That simple switch in mindset may help. Or not. Depends on the listener, his or her hearing, and whether or not that person is hard-of-listening. :bash:

• Like 5

Methersgate
Posted
Posted

I have a related problem; a gf who claims to be fluent in IT and is utterly hopeless at anything involving a computer.

At least, with English, if she does not know, she will ASK. But it seems that her "face" will not permit this where even simple things like Facebook are concerned.  

• Like 3

Larry45
Posted
Posted

Yes, best to speak slowly, and not use any slang or ask questions in the negative.  "So, you didn't pay the cable bill?"  "Yes.....I didn't pay the cable bill."    :1 (103):

• Like 4

Thomas
Posted
Posted
I have seen Philippine presidential decrees that state English is an official language of the Philippines. I have seen articles that claim Philippine business English is the best in the world. But it truly isn't, as this exchange of emails will show.
What?! Did you get ANSWER at emails?!!!    :mocking:

(I have got answer from ONE of the Filipino companies/officials I have emailed.)

• Like 2

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

On my recent visit to Phils with my gf was expecting communication to be far less difficult thatn it is is

in Thailand - WRONG. Give yourself an uppercut!

Even my English degree gf will just pretend she understands what I am saying - why do they do that????

They do it to save face or they might be trying to be polite

Kuya John
Posted
Posted

Yes, best to speak slowly, and not use any slang or ask questions in the negative.  "So, you didn't pay the cable bill?"  "Yes.....I didn't pay the cable bill."    :1 (103):

Let your yes be yes and your no be no.

Nothing unusal here remember. Although most of us expats speak English it is our accent's that throw the local's.

Lol...I have grand-children here in UK who live 10 miles away and I can't understand them! (scouse accent's) :no: .

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

:hystery:  My Wife often Reminds me when we talk about this subject. HEY Joe! Our English is a darned sight better than your Tagalog, Visayan or any other Filipino language. Next issue please  :rolleyes:

JP :tiphat:  :thumbsup:

Morning all :morning1:

• Like 2