As Always Where To Stay?

medic4355
Posted
Posted

OK I will make this brief but give some details as to what I am looking for. I worked for 20 years as a paramedic but was involved in an accident that left me living on disability. I am fairly mobile and can get around but I need some input here. I have lived in over 15 countries compliments of uncle sam and the USAF so I am somewhat well versed with traveling. I last lived in Singapore and dated a pinay there that kinda got me hooked on pinays. I am coming to Cebu next year. I am waiting on a divorce to be final here and I am 41 years old. I have only been through the airport at Manila but I have some pinay friends in Bogo. I want to know where is a decent place to get a short term rental in Cebu. I am thinking I will be there from January-March. I don't have to be downtown and I don't require 5 star accommodations. I would almost rather be closer to the beach but safety is a good concern too. I am not your typical American who needs to be babied or thinks I am the greatest race on the earth. I make about $1500 a month US so I would like to be able to be there for under that and live somewhat comfortably. I am not looking for a Angeles city adventure I have lived that life in my younger days and I am talking with a girl that I met in Singapore but she was 16 then so we were just friends. She lives in Bogo but we want to spend some time in Cebu. She is 26 now. My main requirements are somewhere with Air con would be nice. A decent signal because I have a teenage daughter here that I Skype with. A nice bed would be even greater with all my brokenness. I broke 24 bones in an accident serving my country. If you saw me you would have no idea I was even injured. God has been good through all of this. I can cook so even a short term apartment would be nice. What do all you expat experts think. Short term apartment or hotel? Im not a big drinker or party man just looking for somewhere to chill for a few months and see if this is where I want to retire. I am always back in the US during the summer because my daughter is 16 and I will be here till she graduates. Even if things get serious with my girl there we may come back to the US but my ultimate goal is to be in the Philippines. I love the US but some of us are just better cut out for other countries. All input is appreciated and if you are from another country help me understand what currency you are referring to. Attached is a picture of the sunset in Singapore from Keppel shipyard. 

Thanks

Brian 

post-5272-0-85193800-1435185914_thumb.jp

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
I can cook

Welcome Medic. (you and medic mike should compare notes)

I am not in Cebu so I will only say this, forget about the cooking. Once thing the Philippines has in abundance is places to eat. All the way from 5 star resturants to the little ole lady sitting on her front porch serving homemade food from a chaffing dish. And most of it is very inexpensive. On your first visit you will probably eat at a lot of those places, since you have been around the block before and are not a typical tourist. Just the cost of buying one sauce pan to cook pork and bean could feed u for three days at the local turo turo places.

Welcome, good luck, and enjoy :cheersty:

• Like 1

frosty (chris)
Posted
Posted

Welcome to the forum Medic, all the things you ask for are do-able, just maybe not all in the same place. Money wise you are ok, internet ok, accommodation ok. I would suggest you spend sometime searching the forum, all the answers are here and have been asked many many times before. Good luck with what ever you do.

medic4355
Posted
Posted

Thanks Scott. So many have no idea just how good we have it here. The one thing I found to always travel with is immodium for those meals that are not so clam. LOL

• Like 1

bows00
Posted
Posted

Wow, from Singapore to Cebu... your going from one the prettiest cities in the world, to a crowded, polluted dump... well, maybe not that bad, but you will be in for a shock.   

My advice to you will be live on the outskirts of the city where prices are cheaper and where there is less pollution and congestion.

• Like 2

chris49
Posted
Posted

Thanks Scott. So many have no idea just how good we have it here. The one thing I found to always travel with is immodium for those meals that are not so clam. LOL

I am not in Cebu, and I understand the prices are a bit higher there.

$1500 per month =67-68k pesos per month, In Metro Manila/QC that would be excessive for an Apartelle, cable, air con. wi fi....all in with a discount for a month....40,000 pesos tops, probably less.

We occasionally grab a room at Sogo, noted short stay hotel. but quite acceptable for longer stays, you could get 30 days there for about 35k pesos without asking a discount, wi fi is execellent but no kitchen, ac and cable they do have.

chris49
Posted
Posted

Wow, from Singapore to Cebu... your going from one the prettiest cities in the world, to a crowded, polluted dump... well, maybe not that bad, but you will be in for a shock.   

My advice to you will be live on the outskirts of the city where prices are cheaper and where there is less pollution and congestion.

Singapore can also be catastrophically expensive and not so enjoyable as Phils so factor that in.

• Like 1

RBM
Posted
Posted

I could not have put it better, having lived several years in Cebu plus spent time in Singapore Boow00 is spot on.

Complete opposites, please be well prepared for traffic chaos, bad pollution and squalor. How ever there are some nice areas with modern condos, all the trimmings but expensive. Some respite can also be found in the Malls which are pretty upmarket, if your into malls.

The problem wth living on the out skirts of Cebu is the terrible traffic going anywhere. Try some internet searches, for me Banawa is worth consideration or perhaps Guadalupe. It will not be easy to find short term rentals, search this excellent forum as there have been some threads on same.

Don't forget, bring with you, a huge bucket full of patience.....

medic4355
Posted
Posted

I have lived in Africa, Mylasia, indonesia, and Guatemala so its all good. Singapore was nice especially since I was working for an oil company and they were footing the bill but to stay there but on my income now it would be impossible. I don't even mind some of the smaller provinces. I am not that addicted to modern technology. I can sit on the beach and read a book and be just fine. Like I said my main thing is being able to Skype with my daughter. I know Bogo is 3 hours from Cebu and that is probably where I will start. Even though I have had a relationship with this girl just as friends over the internet it seems to have developed to more. I know her parents and her family and she comes from good stock. Still I am not getting engaged over the internet and I would rather not start my journey dependent on her home. I have full custody of my daughter in the summer so I am always home during the summer and my home here is paid for. Third world countries are no shocker to me at all. I did a lot of medical mission work after the military so my travels have been extensive. I was wandering if anyone knew of the "better" neighborhoods in Cebu for when we go exploring. We have even talked about Bohol, Mactan, or Lapu-Lapu. First trip is more of an exploration thing. I have some investments that I draw from as well but I would like to live off of my disability and keep the rest investing. 

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted (edited)

OK I will make this brief but give some details as to what I am looking for. I worked for 20 years as a paramedic but was involved in an accident that left me living on disability. I am fairly mobile and can get around but I need some input here. I have lived in over 15 countries compliments of uncle sam and the USAF so I am somewhat well versed with traveling. I last lived in Singapore and dated a pinay there that kinda got me hooked on pinays. I am coming to Cebu next year. I am waiting on a divorce to be final here and I am 41 years old. I have only been through the airport at Manila but I have some pinay friends in Bogo. I want to know where is a decent place to get a short term rental in Cebu. I am thinking I will be there from January-March. I don't have to be downtown and I don't require 5 star accommodations. I would almost rather be closer to the beach but safety is a good concern too. I am not your typical American who needs to be babied or thinks I am the greatest race on the earth. I make about $1500 a month US so I would like to be able to be there for under that and live somewhat comfortably. I am not looking for a Angeles city adventure I have lived that life in my younger days and I am talking with a girl that I met in Singapore but she was 16 then so we were just friends. She lives in Bogo but we want to spend some time in Cebu. She is 26 now. My main requirements are somewhere with Air con would be nice. A decent signal because I have a teenage daughter here that I Skype with. A nice bed would be even greater with all my brokenness. I broke 24 bones in an accident serving my country. If you saw me you would have no idea I was even injured. God has been good through all of this. I can cook so even a short term apartment would be nice. What do all you expat experts think. Short term apartment or hotel? Im not a big drinker or party man just looking for somewhere to chill for a few months and see if this is where I want to retire. I am always back in the US during the summer because my daughter is 16 and I will be here till she graduates. Even if things get serious with my girl there we may come back to the US but my ultimate goal is to be in the Philippines. I love the US but some of us are just better cut out for other countries. All input is appreciated and if you are from another country help me understand what currency you are referring to. Attached is a picture of the sunset in Singapore from Keppel shipyard. 

Thanks

Brian 

I believe I can give you advice here.  You will find what you are looking for along the highway between Cebu City and Bogo.  I would suggest you start looking around Compostella, Cebu and look at Danao, Carmen, and Catmon.  Each of these last 3 gets you further from Cebu City.

This is the area where you will start to find nice beaches.  Its less expensive than downtown Cebu.  There is still good shopping without travelling too far.  Internet sucks everywhere but a Globe Tattoo Pocket Wifi will enable all the Skyping you want.  Jan to March are popular months and chances of finding an apartment for 2 months are small, but a 'suite' (and I use the term loosely) in one of the lodges or pension houses in the area can be found for about US$300 to $400 a month with aircon and close to the beach.  You can find cheaper if you are staying long term or if you are not fussy.  Jeepneys and Ceres busses go up and down that highway constantly so you can get a ride to Cebu any time.  The places I mentioned are on the way to Bogo but still a long way from it.  There are not a lot of drinking bars or girly bars in that area but you mentioned that is not what you are looking for.

Does this interest you?

Edited by Dave Hounddriver