As Always Where To Stay?

frosty (chris)
Posted
Posted

I  was wandering if anyone knew of the "better" neighborhoods in Cebu for when we go exploring. We have even talked about Bohol, Mactan, or Lapu-Lapu. First trip is more of an exploration thing.

I live on Mactan Island in Basak, I like it here has nearly everything I need, plenty of malls, restaurants, BI office is 10 mins away, a few little expat bars that I sometimes visit, great little sari-sari close by for some good food and a beer, close enough to Cebu if I have to go, far enough away not to have all the dirt and pollution that is there, to me Lapu x2  is quiet and safe, never ever had a problem here. Internet is not bad I can Skype my daughters in Aus when I want to, power can be a problem at times but  you can't have everything. We pay 8000 pesos a month for a 2 b/room unfurnished  unit in a secure sub division. I have a filipina friend that had a 3 b/room house fully furnished on a short lease from memory she wanted 12,000 pm. Traffic here is ok and I drive, just got to pick your times to go out, plenty of tryc's, jeepney's and taxi's. Cebu SM is about 20-25 mins away with a good run, I can drive it in 15 mins most times again depending on the time of day. The beaches here imho are crap, but there are some not so bad resorts you can visit. There are some islands of the tip of Mactan, with good beaches and all you need for a 12 peso boat ride. All in all I am very happy here, plan to stay.

• Like 2

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

Since your only stay a few months I might suggest that you budget higher as you will be more in tourist mode, seeking out places and generally spending a bit more than the local expat. Better neighborhoods in my opinion would be Banilad and in the hills but you can't have both as in live cheap but in the high end of town.

• Like 2

Guy F.
Posted
Posted (edited)

You should avoid Danao. I stayed there one night and found the locals to be less friendly than they are elsewhere. Danao is a well-known center of illegal gun manufacture. It was difficult to find a ride to Danao from Consolacion- it was said the Danao locals are very territorial and might shoot a jeepney driver who didn't belong there.

Edited by Guy F.
  • Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted (edited)
You should avoid Danao. I stayed there one night and found the locals to be less friendly than they are elsewhere

Wow, things must have changed.  I used to walk daily up in the mountains around Danao where those gun manufacturers work and I never found the locals anything less than friendly .  That was for about 2 years in 2009 and 2010 when I had a friend who enjoyed walking up into the mountains with me.  We spent about 2 hours a day doing that.  Got in good shape too.

Having said that, I would not choose Danao as a place to live as the ambiance in the town did not excite me.  Many other foreigners live there though.

Edited by Dave Hounddriver

medic4355
Posted
Posted

OK I will make this brief but give some details as to what I am looking for. I worked for 20 years as a paramedic but was involved in an accident that left me living on disability. I am fairly mobile and can get around but I need some input here. I have lived in over 15 countries compliments of uncle sam and the USAF so I am somewhat well versed with traveling. I last lived in Singapore and dated a pinay there that kinda got me hooked on pinays. I am coming to Cebu next year. I am waiting on a divorce to be final here and I am 41 years old. I have only been through the airport at Manila but I have some pinay friends in Bogo. I want to know where is a decent place to get a short term rental in Cebu. I am thinking I will be there from January-March. I don't have to be downtown and I don't require 5 star accommodations. I would almost rather be closer to the beach but safety is a good concern too. I am not your typical American who needs to be babied or thinks I am the greatest race on the earth. I make about $1500 a month US so I would like to be able to be there for under that and live somewhat comfortably. I am not looking for a Angeles city adventure I have lived that life in my younger days and I am talking with a girl that I met in Singapore but she was 16 then so we were just friends. She lives in Bogo but we want to spend some time in Cebu. She is 26 now. My main requirements are somewhere with Air con would be nice. A decent signal because I have a teenage daughter here that I Skype with. A nice bed would be even greater with all my brokenness. I broke 24 bones in an accident serving my country. If you saw me you would have no idea I was even injured. God has been good through all of this. I can cook so even a short term apartment would be nice. What do all you expat experts think. Short term apartment or hotel? Im not a big drinker or party man just looking for somewhere to chill for a few months and see if this is where I want to retire. I am always back in the US during the summer because my daughter is 16 and I will be here till she graduates. Even if things get serious with my girl there we may come back to the US but my ultimate goal is to be in the Philippines. I love the US but some of us are just better cut out for other countries. All input is appreciated and if you are from another country help me understand what currency you are referring to. Attached is a picture of the sunset in Singapore from Keppel shipyard. 

Thanks

Brian 

I believe I can give you advice here.  You will find what you are looking for along the highway between Cebu City and Bogo.  I would suggest you start looking around Compostella, Cebu and look at Danao, Carmen, and Catmon.  Each of these last 3 gets you further from Cebu City.

This is the area where you will start to find nice beaches.  Its less expensive than downtown Cebu.  There is still good shopping without travelling too far.  Internet sucks everywhere but a Globe Tattoo Pocket Wifi will enable all the Skyping you want.  Jan to March are popular months and chances of finding an apartment for 2 months are small, but a 'suite' (and I use the term loosely) in one of the lodges or pension houses in the area can be found for about US$300 to $400 a month with aircon and close to the beach.  You can find cheaper if you are staying long term or if you are not fussy.  Jeepneys and Ceres busses go up and down that highway constantly so you can get a ride to Cebu any time.  The places I mentioned are on the way to Bogo but still a long way from it.  There are not a lot of drinking bars or girly bars in that area but you mentioned that is not what you are looking for.

Does this interest you?

Yes this is the type of info I am looking for. Eventually if the relationship I have turns long term or any relationship I might have does that I wont mind a longer term rental or even a house. I have been down the road of the pinay scammers as well so I know what to look for there. There are good people everywhere you go but there are thieves as well. Thanks Dave this is a great help. 

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted (edited)
Yes this is the type of info I am looking for.

Since you have given me some feedback  :tiphat:  let me continue my telling you that area, from Compostella to Catmon, is approximately an hour ride by bus, van or jeepney, to Cebu city proper.  Some will tell you different driving times but the times I give you are the average times it will take by bus or V-hire (van).  For example, getting to SM Mall on the edge of Cebu:  Go to the transport terminal in Danao (or wait along the highway) and get on the V Hire.  In about one hour you are at the mall for all of 50 pesos (longer during peak hours).  But  you don't have to go that far for shopping, There is an SM Mall on the edge of Consolacion, near Liloan, and there is a Prince store in Danao.

Other foreigners used to meet for breakfast at Jollibee in Danao and I suspect they still do.  The major downsides of the area are lack of nightlife, less choices for shopping,  and more of a provincial ambiance than the actual city.

Edited by Dave Hounddriver