How Does One Manage

RBM
Posted
Posted

Like quite few members I have a partner how ever are unmarried. During my on off years here have had a few different girl friends plus often spent time alone.

Two nights ago myself and my GF were visiting Bacolod where we ate in certain resto behind Robinsons, this was recommended by a Filipino friend. As often the case we always share our dishes which allows us try more the different foods available. One of these dishes was imported scollops which was marinated.

Around 3am it hit, with such an attack I basically wanted to die, sever vomiting, diarrheal to the extreme. Worst experienced since the OE in India, lasted 24 hours with slow improvement. Now on the mend, but still washed out.

After my ramble it brings me to the point, if I was alone how would I have manged, like most if not all Filipinos, my GF is caring. Without her honestly cannot see how one would get through. The hotel staff were uncaring, unhelpful even with her asking assistence. How much more so if alone.

For those seniors here being alone this sickness over all a minor, be it extremely difficult situation, but what if it leads to complications. As It was there was zero chance of operating an ATM which as I understand insufficient can make hospital admittance difficult. In this case it's doubtful I could even of raised hotel staff as room phone did not function.

• Like 4

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

Following something that happened to an old friend of mine ( who unfortunately died some months after the event) I would say that you are actually more Likely to be Admitted if you are on your own. He went to the Emergency Room at a Hospital in Dumaguete, Totally alone and in great Pain as I recall. He was treated for a Stomach complaint and a Consultant was call as were the police. the Police went through is belongings he had with him and from this they found his Hotel name and after some time found his ATM cards, Travel Insurance etc things that led the Police to say go ahead and Admit as he can clearly pay. Unfortunately as I said, he Died from Peritonitis some months after but he was Admitted. I doubt that if he had had a G/F with him, all this would have not come to light. 

JP :tiphat:

• Like 3

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

I agree with the opening post.  I find filipinas to be compassionate and nuturing so that they feel fulfilled taking care of someone.  But it is not just boyfriends/husbands that they feel this compassion for.  In many instances I have known of men who got sick and somehow a girl miraculously shows up who looks after him.  Usually this 'miracle girl' is supplied by friends, passers-by, hospital workers, or just shows up on her own like an ambulance chasing lawyer.  I don't try to understand it but I have seen that it works first-hand.  There is only one instance I know of where a foreigner got sick and no girl wanted to tend to him.  He was ugly and miserable and did not wash and treated girls badly and he was dying and broke.  He could not even pay anyone to look after him.  He tried and they just stole his money and left.

Anyway, enough ambling.  Point was that I agree with RBM that having a loving partner is the key to a happy life here.

• Like 3

Jake
Posted
Posted (edited)

Like quite few members I have a partner how ever are unmarried. During my on off years here have had a few different girl friends plus often spent time alone.

Two nights ago myself and my GF were visiting Bacolod where we ate in certain resto behind Robinsons, this was recommended by a Filipino friend. As often the case we always share our dishes which allows us try more the different foods available. One of these dishes was imported scollops which was marinated.

Around 3am it hit, with such an attack I basically wanted to die, sever vomiting, diarrheal to the extreme. Worst experienced since the OE in India, lasted 24 hours with slow improvement. Now on the mend, but still washed out.

After my ramble it brings me to the point, if I was alone how would I have manged, like most if not all Filipinos, my GF is caring. Without her honestly cannot see how one would get through. The hotel staff were uncaring, unhelpful even with her asking assistence. How much more so if alone.

For those seniors here being alone this sickness over all a minor, be it extremely difficult situation, but what if it leads to complications. As It was there was zero chance of operating an ATM which as I understand insufficient can make hospital admittance difficult. In this case it's doubtful I could even of raised hotel staff as room phone did not function.

Hello RBM,

if I was alone how would I have manged, like most if not all Filipinos, my GF is caring. Without her honestly cannot see how one would get through. The hotel staff were uncaring, unhelpful even with her asking assistence. How much more so if alone.

The hotel staff shrugged your GF off -- is this a case of crab mentality or blatant act of discrimination against young Filipinas going out with Kanos?

At any rate RBM, we are glad that you are slowly recovering.  Contaminated food and unknown parasites are becoming prevalent as you see more flooding in your area.  Typhoon season is right around the corner and that brown water contains all kinds of deadly pathogens.

Respectfully -- Jake 

Edited by Jake
  • Like 2

chris49
Posted
Posted (edited)

In this situation, if it's me, alone. Some cash in hand and the ATM in my pocket. I get with a taxi driver to take me to the nearest Govt hospital  but I go as a self pay patient. The bill, which is likely to be minimal is paid on discharge. No settlement and no discharge can occur until you pay the bill. No doubt you can pay.

You needed IV fluids and some kind of anti cholinergic meds....something to settle the stomach, control the nausea. Diarrhea is allowed to continue initially as that's how the toxins get out.

As for me, if single. I had a few numbers I could have called, paying "expenses" but I am sure I could get someone to help.

As for Govt vs Private Hospital, sure the Private is considerably better, but here in an emergency you can report to the ER of the Govt Hospital, the Docs there can make a call as to whether they will treat you or if they cannot handle it, they will refer you on....back to the taxi again.

I have the advantage of having a medical background, ok. But importantly you only need a way to get to the hospital. As a foreigner, questions of whether you can pay or not will not arise.

Night staff in a hotel? Not sure what you get there, but maybe they are instructed not to get involved with guests personal problems. I would have called the night manager and asked him to get me a taxi/tricycle....and secure my belongings. I would not expect more than that.

Edited by chris49

stevewool
Posted
Posted

Can i ask how was your girl friend

RBM
Posted
Posted

Unable to get response from the quote button, interesting Steve as we ate exactly the same, she no problem. We eat the same so unless genetic doubt her sensitivity is different from mine.

Only difference was we both had a hot chocolate drink after our meal where I consumed a cake where she did not partake....Unusally.

Chris the hotel phone did not function, and as was the early hours when all hel....broke loose nobody was around. Appreciate your comments on the Gov hospital and seems the way to go if ever unfortunate enough to experience this again. Have had common diarrhea a few times how ever not like the recent episode.

The main point I am trying to make is although all was OK in my case, if one was alone there was no way I could of raised a taxi. Perhaps the only chance would go been to wake other guests and request help. The hotel is situated about 50 meters from Lacon St, may as been 50 KM.

• Like 1

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

I lived alone for quite a while and have lots of health issues.  I got pretty good at it.  Drove myself to the hospital while having a seizure (I would not recommend that ha ha)  :tiphat:

• Like 3

Guy F.
Posted
Posted

I agree with the opening post.  I find filipinas to be compassionate and nuturing so that they feel fulfilled taking care of someone.  But it is not just boyfriends/husbands that they feel this compassion for.  In many instances I have known of men who got sick and somehow a girl miraculously shows up who looks after him.  Usually this 'miracle girl' is supplied by friends, passers-by, hospital workers, or just shows up on her own like an ambulance chasing lawyer.  I don't try to understand it but I have seen that it works first-hand.  There is only one instance I know of where a foreigner got sick and no girl wanted to tend to him.  He was ugly and miserable and did not wash and treated girls badly and he was dying and broke.  He could not even pay anyone to look after him.  He tried and they just stole his money and left.

Anyway, enough ambling.  Point was that I agree with RBM that having a loving partner is the key to a happy life here.

True. Our local nursing home has some Filipina nurses and CNAs, and they make it a much better place than it would be without them. I would add that Filipinas and Filipinos have respect for the elderly which is sadly missing in Western culture.

• Like 5