Best And Worst Places In Philippines

MikeCarenter
Posted
Posted

The locals are very hard on any area they have never been school in conservation, add that to the fact a lot of places do not have a working garbage system other than the ocean

Rented a boat once on mindoro took the inlaws out for a picnic we found a deserted beach had the boat drop us off was just pristine and such a great place we had our picnic when it was time to leave there was garbage every where the inlaws were all looking at me strange as i cleaned up all the garbage. They kept telling me to just leave it, one kicked some sand on some plastic with food in it to semi bury it

They just have no concept plus no reward for treating the environment as they might want their kids to enjoy it someday

• Like 2

Mike In Canada
Posted
Posted

I think Sagada is a nice place for 3 or 4 days. Great rice terraces, some caves, hanging coffins, some clean cheap places to stay and a nice scenic drive.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
ManilaBae
Posted
Posted

I think Sagada is a nice place for 3 or 4 days. Great rice terraces, some caves, hanging coffins, some clean cheap places to stay and a nice scenic drive.

Hi Mike

I was in Sagada 6 years ago, and really enjoyed my time there. Its a place, where I imagine Baguio to be like before it became severely urbanised. Whilst, the travelling to Sagada was long, the relaxed, rural atmosphere, the cool, crisp mountain air makes up for the stresses of the journey. Furthermore, I loved the spelunking in Sagada and rate it much highly than the underground River cave in Palawan. I stayed at 'Tita Mary's for a superb price of P150 per night, and it was comfortable!

• Like 1

earthdome
Posted
Posted (edited)

Hi Mike

I was in Sagada 6 years ago, and really enjoyed my time there. Its a place, where I imagine Baguio to be like before it became severely urbanised. Whilst, the travelling to Sagada was long, the relaxed, rural atmosphere, the cool, crisp mountain air makes up for the stresses of the journey. Furthermore, I loved the spelunking in Sagada and rate it much highly than the underground River cave in Palawan. I stayed at 'Tita Mary's for a superb price of P150 per night, and it was comfortable!

I was in Sagada Oct 2013 with my gf (now wife) for 2 nights. She convinced me to do the spelunking underground between the two cave entrances. That was fun. Not recommended for those who fear tight spaces, don't like wading through knee deep cold water, climbing up and down ropes, hugging a big rock while almost rock climbing at one point or crawling through tight spaces.

For a full report you can search for the thread about my extreme northern luzon adventure.

I agree. Sagada is worth a visit for a few days. Sagada is only a 5 hour drive north of Baguio and only a half day drive from the Banaue Rice Terraces.

Edited by earthdome
  • Like 2

chris49
Posted
Posted
On ‎8‎/‎31‎/‎2015 at 10:48 AM, chris49 said:

La Union was very nice. Felt very relaxed at Kahuna Resort. A nice little challet/hut with a pool and nice view of the beach. There were vendors selling paintings there, but they wern't pushy. Vigan was enjoyable. Took a horse and cart on a tour. Very reasonable pricing. (Petey)

Since San Fernando, La Union is one of my no go areas, it should be clarified that San Juan is 8 km north of San Fernando. It is quite nice and has a decent surf, a favored spot for foreigners over many years because at one time there was a small US Navy base there.

I have been down to San Fernando for a bike event, 3rd time down there, plus passed through a few dozen times almost always at night on the bus.

Traffic was still a significant problem.

But I'm giving an upgrade to San Fernando on the basis of this visit. (Amazing event, will write up a report soon)

1. A very good cross section of ex pats, I saw enough including a few in the race, to indicate there where plenty around, including spectators and passers by.

2. Discounting the traffic. You could walk around middle of town and probably reach all amenities, banks, restaurants, supermarkets. That might cover 500 metres maximum, so might not suit everyone, but it is the best option.

3. There is San Juan, a beach resort, a few km north, quite well known, but again, there's not much there except for a cluster of resorts.

4. SF is cleaner than I had previously noted. And this bike event was well supported by the mayor and local sponsors. I take that as a positive sign.

5. We climbed up onto the edge of the Cordilleras range and I was able to look out, from the mountain and view to the ocean. Very nice, and would venture up there to have a proper look if I get a chance.

6. SF is low lying and I found it a bit hot at midday as compared to coastal areas or areas at higher elevation. That's a negative, you might need air con, perhaps in the bedroom, living here.

So it's off my "Worst Places" list. But Laoag is my No.1 in this area.

• Like 2

robert k
Posted
Posted

There are some really nice beaches in Pinamalayan Mindoro. Relatively undiscovered as of 3 years ago. Not full service. There were a few nice bungalows for rent but not enough for serious commercial tourism. The place I went has a clean white sugar sand beach with "cottages", crystal clear water, aquatic life, some sea grass growing but no slime that I saw and not a lot of wave action while I was there. Fair sized pool and decent shower and CR facilities. There was a restaurant which wasn't open while I was there and the bar likewise. After half a day of beach, cottages, pool, showers for 4 adults and 4 kids I gave my GF 1k php to bail us out of there and the manager chased us down to give me 500 php back. I think they just weren't ready for us. I think mostly locals go there to get away. No jetski no parasailing but you know? I wasn't going to be doing that anyway!:thumbsup: Now that I have let you in on the secret, Let's just keep it between us, ok?

• Like 3

manofthecoldland
Posted
Posted
16 hours ago, robert k said:

There are some really nice beaches in Pinamalayan Mindoro. Relatively undiscovered as of 3 years ago. Not full service. There were a few nice bungalows for rent but not enough for serious commercial tourism. The place I went has a clean white sugar sand beach with "cottages", crystal clear water, aquatic life, some sea grass growing but no slime that I saw and not a lot of wave action while I was there. Fair sized pool and decent shower and CR facilities. There was a restaurant which wasn't open while I was there and the bar likewise. After half a day of beach, cottages, pool, showers for 4 adults and 4 kids I gave my GF 1k php to bail us out of there and the manager chased us down to give me 500 php back. I think they just weren't ready for us. I think mostly locals go there to get away. No jetski no parasailing but you know? I wasn't going to be doing that anyway!:thumbsup: Now that I have let you in on the secret, Let's just keep it between us, ok?

I like Pinamalayan. Its off the main route between Calapan and Roxas, Mindoro.... port of departure for the Ro-Ro to Caticlan, next to Boracay on the NW tip of Panay. Most people never get there since Calapan to the North is the Major city and port for Mindoro. 

My wife, being of parents and having lived her younger years in both Mindoro and Panay, used to take bins of fruit with her older brother from Pinamalaya to Marinduque for their big festival, and was well known to the longshore port captain and longshoremen I discovered when we passed through. (she's guapa and has a 'coke-bottle' figure, so they never forgot). We got the royal treatment when ferried to the bangka, as I heard them mention her 'alias' (smart Filipinas seldom divulge their real names to people they don't know) and I was really impressed. 

The place has a nice plaza and only a few third rate places to stay, but I loved it. 

The only thing that rubbed me wrong was that the young lady running the third rate overnight place where we stayed refered to us as 'Beauty and the Beast'.  Ha-ha. I'm not really pangit, but the wench seemed to think that my wife could have done better.

As we left port, running up the coast before making the crossing and heading for Marinduque, we could see the various beach resorts further to the north that catered to the peoples of Calipan.

It was a good trip and I will always remember Pinamalaya as the place that remembered my wife. When we returned from Marinduque, two wealthy old women that knew my wife and had a house near the port insisted on hosting us while we killed time waiting for the bus.

Trips like this make all the physical stresses worth enduring.  

• Like 2

robert k
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, manofthecoldland said:

The only thing that rubbed me wrong was that the young lady running the third rate overnight place where we stayed refered to us as 'Beauty and the Beast'.  Ha-ha. I'm not really pangit, but the wench seemed to think that my wife could have done better.

You can't really hold that against them! I mean they convinced themselves that I looked like Kevin Costner when anyone who could see would know right away that I look like Sean Connery!:thumbsup:

• Like 2

• 6 months later...
Domino22
Posted
Posted
On August 28, 2015 at 1:12 PM, stevewool said:

A beautiful place to visit at different times of the day, if you can have the view to yourself, its amazing the trip there too, but maybe i am looking throught my camera lens  where everything is just smashing

From Tubgilon down thru Carmen and lunch at Luboc resort on the way to Panglao on a motorcycle was one of my best times in my life! Great road and views and great food! Bohol and Panglao is up there on my list to retire. I do not know if I ever saw the hills but it did not matter.

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted
On 27 August 2015 at 3:47 PM, scott h said:

Gratefuled, I think by the tone of your post, you and I like the same things. Look into Casa De Filipinas, I have a post about it somewhere here. Really great historical site (If your near Bataan that is). But better hurry, it is being used to host part of the upcoming Asean conference. Once the word gets out, who knows what might happen :tiphat: .

Thanks, there is also a fort in Cebu and a jail and a museum that my wife and I found interesting and took photos there. I don't remember the name of the fort but the one in Manila is a lot better. The Tao Temple was also a nice place to visit in Cebu.

• Like 1