Balikbayan Box. What Is The Strangest Thing You...................

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

So guys, what is the most unusual odd or ridiculous thing you or your special helper shipped to Philippines. :89: Extra points for those highly difficult items to pack safely like model sailing ships. :1st: 

Rice or spam do not count. Every one of us have sent spam to Philippines. The darn islands are swimming in spam but noooooo we gotta send more. :1 (103): 

Also, anyone have a clue how I can safely pack a highly detailed model of Old Ironsides to survive a trip in a Balikbayan Box? :why-me:

• Like 4

MacBubba
Posted
Posted

We've never really had to send a box to anyone that was not really intended for our use. 

So, the contents of our boxes are strange - pillows, quilts, cookware, sundry household items.

• Like 3

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

How about extra points to those who have sent nothing?  :cheersty:  I have often thought about loading up a BB box to send but never done it.  Am I the only one?

No, Dave you are not the only one,  when I was in Spain I never really considered  sending stuff, always found better to buy things  here. Seemed there was not a lot in Spain or Gibraltar that would have either worked properly here or they would actually use, I found it cheaper and more appreciated to send the money :thumbsup:

JP :tiphat:

Morning all. :morning1:

• Like 4

intrepid
Posted
Posted
Also, anyone have a clue how I can safely pack a highly detailed model of Old Ironsides to survive a trip in a Balikbayan Box?

I ship my model ships and boats in wood boxes.  I build the boxes myself and have them inspected and certified and stamped for international shipping.  I use 3/4” plywood for the four sides and 1/2” plywood for top and bottom.  It’s all screwed together with 2.5” screws.  Just easier for the inspection without pine or other wood structures.  I usually make them around 42" to 48” long and then 18" x 24” depending on the size of my models.  I make metal bracing covered with foam to secure each ship in the box.  These are shipped balikbayan.  Haven’t had any problems yet.  Once arrived, the boxes are taken apart and the plywood used for making work benches and storage shelving.

• Like 4

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

I have never sent anything here I bought some stuff over with me each time I came here. As jack says you look around and you can get it here.

• Like 3

expatuk2014
Posted
Posted

we have sent hundreds of small ceramic shoes ! dozens of umbrellas and boxes

and boxes of handbags ( espec Kiplings ) as the wifes sister takes 3 bags to school each day ( she is a teacher and she has to outdo the other teachers ! ) she even borrowed my Kipling laptop bag one day so all her bags were red !!

also sent grills-blenders-model cars, and wait for it a tumble dryer ! and a large JVC tv the old sort !!

the only things that got damaged were a vase and a small flower from one of the ceramic shoes !

all or boxes were sent through Pooteen Forwarding and every box we sent arrived almost to the dates we were given.

• Like 3

stevewool
Posted
Posted

A standard lamp  with lampshade plus bulb, all got there fine and is still working a little dusty ok a lot dusty now

• Like 3

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

Also, anyone have a clue how I can safely pack a highly detailed model of Old Ironsides to survive a trip in a Balikbayan Box? :why-me:

You have a model of Ironside

attachicon.gif69466-full.jpg

Well of course to that Question, Perry Masonpost-2148-0-84350900-1440848885_thumb.jp would have said Objection, Argumentative and Immaterial, calls for Speculation.  :hystery:

Just saying  :rolleyes:

OK OK! I know post-2148-0-54087800-1440848978.jpg Mutter, Mutter, Mutter

JP :)

• Like 3