Salt Substitutes

Mike S
Posted
Posted

Anyone have any idea where I can find salt substitutes here in Bacolod or that can be shipped to Bacolod .... I'm watching my salt intake in the foods I eat after the Dr. put me on a low sodium diet .... but some foods we cook at home (no more restaurant eating) just taste bland ..... now I've never been much on salt intake so I can get by on most foods by using spices .... fresh garlic .... onion ... ginger to enhance the taste of food .... this low sodium coupled with low fat means that some food tastes like cardboard .....

Tried looking on line but nothing that can be found in the Philippines ..... just tons of stuff from the US ..... I can really start to see why Filipinos just ignore the Dr's orders to cut down on salt and sugar when there is no substitutes available for them .....

:cheersty:

• Like 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted (edited)

Says here available at Rustans but dont know if at all branches. You might have to get someone in Manila to get it for you?

http://www.pansalt.ph/

added

Says here Mercury drug store at selected outlets and Lopue's East Center Bacolod 

http://www.accord-international.net/pansalt.php#detailed_info

Edited by Jollygoodfellow
added wee bit
  • Like 3

Mike S
Posted
Posted

Says here available at Rustans but dont know if at all branches. You might have to get someone in Manila to get it for you?

http://www.pansalt.ph/

added

Says here Mercury drug store at selected outlets and Lopue's East Center Bacolod 

http://www.accord-international.net/pansalt.php#detailed_info

Thank you sir that is what I was looking for .... I'll check with the Dr. this afternoon when I visit her to see if I can use this at a 50% reduction in sodium it looks like a winner ..... :thumbsup:

• Like 1

Mike S
Posted
Posted

OK according to my Cardiologist the PanSalt would be alright if used sparingly ...... now to find it ....  :mocking: 

By the way my check-up was fine and my meds weren't changed so I'm good until Janurary .....

Just a note ..... I will update my topic on the hospital with the bill and what it costs per month for my meds if anyone is interested :thumbsup:

• Like 1

Jake
Posted
Posted

OK according to my Cardiologist the PanSalt would be alright if used sparingly ...... now to find it ....  :mocking:

By the way my check-up was fine and my meds weren't changed so I'm good until Janurary .....

Just a note ..... I will update my topic on the hospital with the bill and what it costs per month for my meds if anyone is interested :thumbsup:

Well, looks like you're back on the saddle again.  Do me a favor.....next time, don't pee on the electric fence again, OK?

Respectfully -- Jake, your favorite semen, seaman.

• Like 2

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

I found this maybe it will be of some help.

Vinegar and lemon juice :  Have a magical ability to bring out the flavor of food.   They also act as a preservative and can lengthen shelf life of foods similar to salt without the salty taste. Marinating meats in vinegar and lemon juice tenderizes it and adds so much flavor the need to add salt is reduced.

Spices : My favorite salt alternative. Cumin, turmeric, coriander, nutmeg, cinnamon add a spicy kick to foods. Each spice imparts its unique touch to a dish and so much flavor, you can just skip the salt. I use spices in everything from soups to salads.  Added bonus : they are chockfull of antioxidants and protective in nature.

Herbs : Another favorite salt alternative of mine. Herbs both dried and fresh can transform a dish from ordinary to extraordinary. Basil, cilantro, mint and parsley are just some of my favorite herbs that I like to use fresh. Dried herbs can be bottled with other seasoning to make a salt free seasoning which can be sprinkled over anything. They are a seriously yummy salt reducer.

Salt Free Seasoning :I am a huge fan of salt free seasonings. I have several flavors of home-made and store-bought seasoning blends which I add-on everything from chips to meats.  They enhance a dish and reduce the need for sodium so much I can’t do without them. You have to make my sodium free mango bean salsa to believe it !
Tomatoes: These function like lemon and vinegar  and enhance the flavor of food. Fresh frozen or purred they make any dish magic. Just make sure you’re not using canned tomatoes or ketchup which had added sodium.  Just use more of them. They are packed with lycopene and Vitamin C ! So good for you .

Onion : Red, white yellow… they’re all bursting with flavor and add so much depth to any dish. Saute them in, add them raw or grill them and add to dishes. So much flavor, you can reduce the salt in the dish and not feel it.
 Garlic : Strong flavor which transfers on to any dish ! Anything that has a strong flavor can reduce the need for salt. Roast garlic for a unique flavor. Garlic has health properties as well. I add it to humus and don’t feel the need to add much sodium at all !
Ginger : Another favorite of mine. I add fresh ginger to sauces, smoothies, soups.. any dish I want to give that special kick to. Add dry ginger to your home-made salt free seasoning and to other dishes as well. another strong flavored spice which reduces the need for sodium.

Peppers :These add a tingly heat to any dish and transform the taste to spicy !!!! I love peppers and use them a lot. jalapeno, black pepper, capsicum, red chile, chilli powder … all of them distract the tongue and reduce the need for salt.Use as tolerated 

Zest of Lemon and orange :  There’s something quite powerful about lemon and orange zest.  Adds a tangy taste that is quite unique.  Just scrape a fresh lemon or orange to get lemon and orange zest and try it in your dishes. you may just forget to add salt and not miss it one bit :) ! 
  • Like 3

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
By the way my check-up was fine and my meds weren't changed so I'm good until January .....

With some luck you will still be around after January but if not at least you have an idea of the date.  :hystery:    :rolleyes:

• Like 4

Mike S
Posted
Posted

Well I went to see my endocrinologist and asked her about the PanSalt ...... she is concerned about the magnesium in the product as it will react with the Levothyroxine (Euthyrox) so I need to do some more research on it ..... but she did agree for me to take the med before bed time instead of first thing in the morning as it also reacts with dairy products as well as coffee so that for me is a big plus .....

She also changed my diabetes med from Stagliptin to Glicazide for a cost reduction of almost 2/3's so that made me happy also .... but now I have a new med to research .....  :hystery: 

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
Glicazide

The generics version is cheap and it is what I use.  It is great for reducing blood sugar in us borderline diabetics but it doesn't stop working when the blood sugar gets to normal.  That means you have to eat frequent small meals or snacks.  Carry a chocolate bar with you at all times or you may pass out from low blood sugar.  Been there done that.  But I still use the Glic as it works a charm,  I just use about half the dosage that the doc recommends.

• Like 2

Steve & Myrlita
Posted
Posted

I use Metformin. Seems ok.

• Like 2