Investment

stevewool
Posted
Posted

God this is hard , it took me a good 20 minutes thinking of what thread to put this post in :thumbsup: ,

A good investment in the Philippines for Emma, is it land , i would like to have our own land and build a little house just for me and Ems, now many will say straight away it will never be mine well yes i know , but its a investment for Emma,

Land can go up over time but also can take a very long time too to get back what you have invested,

So i am asking what may be the best way to go, i have a good idea but again many of you have been there done that, even got the tee shirt, so i am asking you people,

We have the family house and i do know i could live there all my life , but maybe i dont, do we then rent somewhere for months on end seeing different parts of the world,

Yes its never yours and its dead money too, but you have no responsibility , so if its wrong you just move on, the money you may spend on renting for so many years may never match what you have paid for the land and the house you have built too, so you may be onto a winner,

You still have the big lump in the bank making very little money but its still a big lump giving us both a future ,

Another thing to think about is we have no children , so who will look after Ems in her old age , so having cash in the bank rather then having land , i think is the best way, but what are your thoughts,

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

Another thing to think about is we have no children , so who will look after Ems in her old age , so having cash in the bank rather then having land , i think is the best way, but what are your thoughts,

This is such a delicate area Steve. Land (and/or dare I say it) Assets with no Children can me a total minefield.

Land here as I am sure you are aware is the Biggest Motive for Murder but it is Money in the bank if it is done Properly.

We have 1 (one daughter of 16 and she is on the Deeds as a Shareholder of the House and Land with her mother But if you have no Children Ems may have to nominate 1 (One) other person on the Deeds @ 64/40 I would say to ensure that the Land remains hers for as long as she is alive.

making sure that No one can get there hands on it is the Only way that she can rest easy

This is working for us but as we will say you need Solid Advice on the issue but I know where you are coming from, the things is as always, that Blasted extended family.

Not wishing to rock Boats but I think all will understand this.

Jack :tiphat:

• Like 3

stevewool
Posted
Posted

Thanks Jack, thats always my thought too, i am not saying they are bad or anything, but i do know that they will milk her dry and Ems being Ems she will give all away not thinking of herself,

I am still thinking about the family adoption route if that does come along, for someone that may look after Ems once she needs someone,

The funny thing is if we stay here in England Ems would be taken care for the rest of her life from my children , now thats a thought, 8 months there 4 months here :thumbsup:

• Like 3

expatuk2014
Posted
Posted

Thanks Jack, thats always my thought too, i am not saying they are bad or anything, but i do know that they will milk her dry and Ems being Ems she will give all away not thinking of herself,

I am still thinking about the family adoption route if that does come along, for someone that may look after Ems once she needs someone,

The funny thing is if we stay here in England Ems would be taken care for the rest of her life from my children , now thats a thought, 8 months there 4 months here :thumbsup:

well steve I think you have just answered your own Question !!  8 months there 4 months here  :thumbsup: my wife has just changed over land titles due to her Mothers Passing and when they realised she was married to an Englishman the alarm bells rang out !

• Like 3

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

now thats a thought, 8 months there 4 months here

Well yes but if you are going to go for the 13 a ( Which will have an Advantage at some stage) make sure your  8 months Include the reporting period  Jan to March end. post-2148-0-15746200-1443871393.png

Jack  :)

• Like 1

stevewool
Posted
Posted

Well we have another few months here until we have to make our minds up what we are both really wanting, and that in itself is very hard to answer, it changes everyday

• Like 1

chris49
Posted
Posted

Don't buy land at this time. It is way premature.

Provincial land does not increase dramatically in value, unless there is a reason. Prime location along a highway or etc. And Steve you are not that old to be thinking of EMS carrying on alone. Isn't she a UK Citizen? Aren't any of your pensions going to her? 

Travelling around the Philippines and staying in medium range hotels in not that expensive (it would bore the hell out of me), but that's what you might do. What I see on the bike getting out to different places 5 days a week is enough for me.

Does EMS have any family land? Where do they come from?

Mate you do understand that in the province here running water (cold water) is a luxury. It is a nice life but it can be a bit hard if you are not used to it. After 6 PM there is not much to do. Are you ready for that?

• Like 3

stevewool
Posted
Posted

Ems is from Tarlac , i have never been up there and Ems says its been years too,

The family moved to Marikina when she was 3, thats where the family home is,

Yes Ems is a uk citizen now and has her own private pension with working for the NHS, but a state pension she will never have , you have to be here and working now for 15 years i am told,

My pension well the ex had her share of that

I am not wanting much just to chill out in as many different places we can managed until we say this is the place to stay a little longer, i think i am ready for a change

RBM
Posted
Posted

Steve in my opinion one can throw capitol gains right out the window if buying land or property, as a general rule.

I fully understand your intention as myself and I am sure others have similar dilemmas. We are considering buying the 300 square meters beside my partners  lots, once one considers the end of year tax and factor in zero capitol gains its bad investment. The advantage, well in our case would be privacy and its is an asset for the other half. More difficult to cash up up and spend although money lenders will advance loans if they hold a title.

A term deposit over say 5 years attracts no with holding tax, this how ever can be prematurely cashed in with penalties. Now interest rates are pretty low.

So much Steve comes down to the other half.....can she withstand the pressure from the family during emergencies....Some can, sadly most not. Its sure they will find out sooner or later about the nest egg no matter what you choose. A few are lucky and have no problem Re. family, maybe, I trust your in this minority.

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

you have to be here and working now for 15 years i am told,

Not necessarily true Steve. Under the European Rules she should be Entitled to here own State Pension because of the Social Security Agreement with the PI based on her own Contributions. She is a British Citizen and has paid her own Contributions. You really do need to Spend some time talking Direct to Newcastle and not believe all you Read on the Internet. It will never be a Full pension but it will be Something. My friends Aunt worked in Spain for only 8 years and gets 40 % Pension. That SS Agreement Gives Rights both ways as if you Lived in the Country of Origin. Steve don't let this Go, She is Paying into the UK System she is Entitled. As from April 2016 She could not get anything on Your Contributions because of the rule change but will, I can almost 100% say On her own Contributions Yes! she Must or that will be Theft by the UK Government. You Don't Pay in and get nothing out, not like many who pay nothing in yet get much out.

Jack :rolleyes:

• Like 2