Investment

chris49
Posted
Posted

Thanks Jack, thats always my thought too, i am not saying they are bad or anything, but i do know that they will milk her dry and Ems being Ems she will give all away not thinking of herself,

I am still thinking about the family adoption route if that does come along, for someone that may look after Ems once she needs someone,

The funny thing is if we stay here in England Ems would be taken care for the rest of her life from my children , now thats a thought, 8 months there 4 months here :thumbsup:

I have to read deeper between the lines and say that you are not actually ready to come here even 8 months a year. EMS is working and is in her prime years and from what you have said she is very happy in the UK with a circle of friends. And you are already set up here with a place. Not sure why you want to even think about another place.

I would only vacation here even if it's only a month a year, while keeping all options open.

If I'm investing for the future that would be a deluxe condo in the Metro area for rent, which should see you break even on the mortgage payments. That's under EMS name for the future with no land ownership issues and located close enough to where she or both or you may elect to live there in the future.

Who own's the Marakina place and what is EMS share of that?

• Like 1

stevewool
Posted
Posted
Who own's the Marakina place and what is Ems share,

Ems owns 50% the other 50% is her dads, which if anything happens he can give his share to the rest of the family unless we buy them out,

Its so easy me sitting here in England thinking i want to leave here and move over there to the land of the sun and warmth on my face , cheap living and just pleasing myself, but its frightening too, knowing nothing about where to go for this what forms to fill in for that and being total reliable to Ems  for everything, now that is scary,

Why you may ask should we leave England where everything is free, your health is free, you wont starve , you wont freeze, you will be taken care of till you die, sounds great dont it, but its not really like that, you have to beg just like the rest of the people who are here, and getting to a age where around you people are dying quite quickly, well it makes me wonder what is the difference between having things for so called free here , or moving to a place where you pay as you go sort of thing but having the funds to pay for all this,

Just my thoughts maybe

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

Ems owns 50% the other 50% is her dads, which if anything happens he can give his share to the rest of the family unless we buy them out,

Steve, this need sorting ASAP, the Laws of Inheritance are B......y Complex and are not straight Forward. If he goes and nothing has been done prior then  His 50% goes straight to the family.No messing

Why you may ask should we leave England where everything is free, your health is free, you wont starve , you wont freeze, you will be taken care of till you die, sounds great dont it, but its not really like that, you have to beg just like the rest of the people who are here, and getting to a age where around you people are dying quite quickly, well it makes me wonder what is the difference between having things for so called free here , or moving to a place where you pay as you go sort of thing but having the funds to pay for all this, Just my thoughts maybe

Steve is anything Free? you may sit Pretty now but times they are a Changing and you have Already paid for it. So it wasn't free EH?

Look at methersgate, His free health care has already cost him 600 pounds for the Privilege of "K" using it and I guess that will be an equal amount for the Son. To me Paying as you go and being Ultra careful is the way to Go. Just keep enough in the bank account for that Airfare if you need it X 2 of course. :)

JMHO But..................post-2148-0-98981400-1443948870.png

• Like 4

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

Land is a great investment for RICH Filipinos as they don't need the money so it is something they keep for their future heirs.  For middle class, middle age, people I would suggest a couple/few annuities.  For example, put about $US100K in each of a British, American, and Philippine annuity for her.  Then she will have money coming in slowly but surely regardless of exchange rates, economy, and greedy relatives.

Of course that's just a dream for me as I don't have the US$300K to do it, but if you have the money to buy any realistic amount of land as an investment then you must have that kind of cash, unless you are just talking about a million pesos worth of land which really is just a lot to build a house on, not really an investment, just a needed expense to build a house.

• Like 5

Thomas
Posted
Posted

Steve, this need sorting ASAP, the Laws of Inheritance are B......y Complex and are not straight Forward. If he goes and nothing has been done prior then  His 50% goes straight to the family.No messing

If the father's part will be spread by heritage, then Em's will get her share too, so she will be majority owner,

but of course there can be problems anyway.

I would prefer property where the family-in-law isn't involved, at least not in the owning.

How about buying out the father, but with a paragraph saying HE can stay there as long as he want?

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

How about buying out the father, but with a paragraph saying HE can stay there as long as he want?

This Thomas is exactly what I mean, it has to be done of course before he passes away.

Agreeably,  Ems will Inherit but only a % of Dads bit as she already owns 50% so the Inherited part is only of 50% split between Heirs.

Jack :thumbsup:

earthdome
Posted
Posted

Land is a great investment for RICH Filipinos as they don't need the money so it is something they keep for their future heirs.  For middle class, middle age, people I would suggest a couple/few annuities.  For example, put about $US100K in each of a British, American, and Philippine annuity for her.  Then she will have money coming in slowly but surely regardless of exchange rates, economy, and greedy relatives.

Of course that's just a dream for me as I don't have the US$300K to do it, but if you have the money to buy any realistic amount of land as an investment then you must have that kind of cash, unless you are just talking about a million pesos worth of land which really is just a lot to build a house on, not really an investment, just a needed expense to build a house.

I triple like this. A trust or annuity is the way to go if you want to ensure she has a monthly income after you pass.

• Like 1

Jake
Posted
Posted (edited)

I never did have a warm and fuzzy feeling about owning property in PI.  Even though you have documents proving you paid property taxes and having the original deed of sale, there has been cases where corrupt city officials in Bureau of Land or city hall can easily prove that you're not the owner after all.  You may have the original documents but then you need to hire lawyer(s) to fight for you.  An added expenses or being intimated by goons that require you to constantly look over your shoulder.

Additionally, there may be squatters on your land -- another needless headache to deal with during your stress free retirement age. Or property near a potential flood and eruption zone (Mt Pinatubo, Mt Mayon, Taal Lake) -- Mother Nature is the real property owner.  

I mentioned before that my wife Judy and her sister owned 3 hectares (30,000 sq meters) near the international port in Batangas. The clerks office caught on fire and most of the documents were all gone. The new mayor took possession and that was that.  

I'm with Dave about investing in a more secure and stable account for your surviving dependents.   

Edited by Jake
  • Like 3

Thomas
Posted
Posted

Well. Land in cities cost very much,

while some rural land can be bought for very litle.   (E g there are 50 000sqm (=5 hektares) with a bit forest at it for sale for only 250 000pesos. I don't tell where, because perhaps I will want to buy it myself   :)   But there are more such. )

A disadvantage though with rural land is it's much harder to sell it. There are many people wanting such land, but very few of them have money...