Our Struggle.....our Result....

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

Our best, perhaps only good purchase was the solar water heater from citi hardware, I still kinda figure there must be a heater in it. Even after a week of rain water is warm, amazing and I recommend to anyone. We lashed out and bought the top of the line Ravoni shower with all the trimmings, this with the solar water was difinitely no mistake, love the early am showering.

Wow you have hot water I only ever get a hot shower when I am away from home. But after 4 years I don`t like hot showers anymore. PVC windows seem a good alternative as long as they are good quality and well made but over here you just don`t know and after your experience it seems just a pipedream.

• Like 1

RBM
Posted
Posted

Our best, perhaps only good purchase was the solar water heater from citi hardware, I still kinda figure there must be a heater in it. Even after a week of rain water is warm, amazing and I recommend to anyone. We lashed out and bought the top of the line Ravoni shower with all the trimmings, this with the solar water was difinitely no mistake, love the early am showering.

Wow you have hot water I only ever get a hot shower when I am away from home. But after 4 years I don`t like hot showers anymore. PVC windows seem a good alternative as long as they are good quality and well made but over here you just don`t know and after your experience it seems just a pipedream.

Solar hot water but these new systems sure work well, even days of rain one still has very warm water. Last year or so just cold, when water was available which was 50% of the time. Now we are located very close to pump station so no worries water, plus they have a generator.

BluesDude
Posted
Posted

"House around 190 sq, and still adding up costing which expect around 17--18k per sq. went for the 3 meter ceiling heavy duty Excel roof and plastic guttering."

This is really helpful information for a guy trying to decide whether or not to build. The price per square meter is particularly helpful. Thank you for posting.

You should be really proud of yourself. It looks like you've built a fine home for you and your family.

If you have the time and can post anymore pics or provide any more details that would be great. If anyone else has built a home there perhaps you could share the price per sqm info too.

Thanks again.

• Like 3

Mike In Canada
Posted
Posted

You have built a very nice house. If you did it again with experience under your belt what do you think it would cost to build the second time per square meter?

• Like 1

RBM
Posted
Posted

You have built a very nice house. If you did it again with experience under your belt what do you think it would cost to build the second time per square meter?

Question has never arisen Mike as it would be the last thing ever I would wish to do.

If ever, and more hands on could shave at least 15% for same build. The amount of double handling is amazing.

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

RBM said

Question has never arisen Mike as it would be the last thing ever I would wish to do.

If ever, and more hands on could shave at least 15% for same build. The amount of double handling is amazing.

:thumbsup:  Brilliant Question and Answer here My Friends.

Not Long Ago, we did Actual sit ( My Wife & I) and talked about this, now ( and sorry if I get long Winded but to me this Matters)

The Next lot would for me would be another 100 mtrs. I would use the same Architect but change the Engineer & Foreman

I would reduce the labourers by 3 & Masons x 2 Too many Idle Hands I found.I would buy Weekly or as needed, we have Plenty of Choice for most things in Dumaguete, the Discounts were never Big enough on Bulk to offset Pilferage and Things. My Perimeter wall is all Local CHB and was Delivered daily as and When needed, this time we Bought Bulk and many Broken and Missing. So I would Go for a local maker who actually already sells to a bigger Supplier so likely we buy the same stuff but Dearer.

Cement well that is a catch 22, you need a certain amount for Free Delivery but I would keep a closer Eye on things as I am almost 100% sure I Helped Build My Engineers House and the Foreman's C/R

OK so the List Goes on and on, Yes? But as with RBM Next time and Learning from this time I am Sure that anyone that decided to Do it all again and I am most certainly Not, can make quite Large Differences. Savings  can be made from our Mistakes before. Headaches/Heartaches  can be reduced and all in all I think if ever a next came I would be on a lot more Solid Ground

To me, as I was always saying  and still telling my man here now, Lets get it Right First time please Mistakes can be Costly.

That's my Little Bit you Guys.

Jack :thumbsup:

• Like 4

Bohol Guy
Posted
Posted (edited)

Looking at the pic I have one small piece of advice, a ridge vent. As you know heat rises and if you open your roof's peak the attic heat will rise right out, cooling the house considerably. If that's too much and you have vents at either end of your attic you can put a ceiling fan in blowing air up into your attic from inside your house. This will vent hot air at the ceiling and use it to push out even hotter air in the attic. Doesn't work when you aircon however.

Edited by Bohol Guy
  • Like 1

RBM
Posted
Posted

Looking at the pic I have one small piece of advice, a ridge vent. As you know heat rises and if you open your roof's peak the attic heat will rise right out, cooling the house considerably. If that's too much and you have vents at either end of your attic you can put a ceiling fan in blowing air up into your attic from inside your house. This will vent hot air at the ceiling and use it to push out even hotter air in the attic. Doesn't work when you aircon however.

Thanks for the input, we installed two turbo wind fans which are super popular in Brisbane, idea is to suck out the hot air and let cooler air in. Probably need to install extra vents to maximize efficiency. They are wind driven so cost nothing once installed. Also have 3 meter ceilings but still find the place little to warm, not to the extent of needin A/C but did expect it cooler.

• Like 2

• 4 months later...
ManilaBae
Posted
Posted

A thanks to all readers and posters for advice and support throughout our build. Now enclose a few pics for anyone interested.

We started with an engineer highly recommended by the land vendor and an ex pat whom he had built a house for. We since found out one and possibly two received commission. To close our deal he offered P12k per sq meter which is just not possible.

Unfortunately having zero experience in construction it took some time to wake up we were being ripped. About halfway through the build due to cost over runs and suspected cheating, sky high stress I stopped all work flat. Went abroad for a couple months to recover. My partner also took a break.

Upon return we had lengthy discussions with engineer and away we went. Within a month we terminated him and interestingly the workers stayed on saying they could finish. Fortunately we had an excellent foreman.

What shocked me mostly was the high level corruption in multi national companies, mid and senior management wanting cash for large discounts. Even the two brothers whom own the joinery shop were at it. One brother visited privately saying I will do job myself no need go through the shop. imagine cheating his own brother...Sad but seems zero scruples.

Our electrician was amazing, excellent work, the plumber not so, most of the guys worked good within their capabilities. Interestingly both plumber and electrician work for city hall, still did out work on city hall time...No sunrises I guess.

We have not used any timber other than doors and joinery which is laminated, will get eaten but expect 10 years first. Looked at plastic how ever must be made in China and shipped over. Could be alternatives unknown to us.

House around 190 sq, and still adding up costing which expect around 17--18k per sq. went for the 3 meter ceiling heavy duty Excel roof and plastic guttering.

Learnt a lot and made heaps of mistakes which happy to share, think I rambled on enough now so try figure out how to upload these pics.

Congratulations on the successful project delivery mate. Even at a cost of 17-18k per sq, the costing is not too shabby. The median Manila construction costs now is at 25k. Typically, prices outside Manila is higher than this due to the import costs of construction materials. I know, it is painful to accept the realities of being ripped off, however, the wisdom it has taught you means that you'll be better at it next time round.

• Like 2