Posted
Posted

Have sailed all my life.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

frosty (chris)
Posted
Posted

Jake, you would have enjoyed twilight sailing on Perth Water on a Thursday night in the summer time, temp was around 80F, starting time 6pm, it officially was racing at Royal  Perth Yacht Club, usually turned into a piss-up, take the g/f only. wives banned. We had a 48 ft, no engines to be used, had to back out of the pen with sails, then the girls took over, we drank, 3 legs of the set course, usually finished about 8-30ish, then a BBQ at the club house with a not bad band.

Saturday was racing day, then it was on for young and old, no beg pardons there, many a call of water, a few bingles and lot's of hot heads, always found it remarkable how level headed blokes became Capt, Bligh's on a Saturday arvo.

Sun, we had a 70ft Aluminium Flyer, would take her out just for a cruise,with the girls, find a nice little bay some place for lunch, never set a spinnaker with her, it was bloody scary.

• Like 1

Thomas
Posted
Posted

Yes, sailing is fun.   And for the small boats it's a cheap hobby too in the long run.

Some years before my injury I compeeted some at a "quarter toner" (Odd name!  They are much heavier than that.)

But I prefer a SMALL sail boat with SMALL sail, sailing around SLOW relaxing. But I prefer lakes much before oceans. Not much dangers there - except where there are crockodiles   :)

• Like 1

Jake
Posted
Posted (edited)

Jake, you would have enjoyed twilight sailing on Perth Water on a Thursday night in the summer time, temp was around 80F, starting time 6pm, it officially was racing at Royal  Perth Yacht Club, usually turned into a piss-up, take the g/f only. wives banned. We had a 48 ft, no engines to be used, had to back out of the pen with sails, then the girls took over, we drank, 3 legs of the set course, usually finished about 8-30ish, then a BBQ at the club house with a not bad band.

Saturday was racing day, then it was on for young and old, no beg pardons there, many a call of water, a few bingles and lot's of hot heads, always found it remarkable how level headed blokes became Capt, Bligh's on a Saturday arvo.

Sun, we had a 70ft Aluminium Flyer, would take her out just for a cruise,with the girls, find a nice little bay some place for lunch, never set a spinnaker with her, it was bloody scary.

Hey Frosty,

You and I, along with a few ladies in bikini's should take a cruise out in the open waters from Perth and bury the rails, so to speak.  Heel that sloop over until we get some green water over the rails -- would scare the chit out of the ladies, maybe even get them to puke...he, he.  

Back in 1984, I was so excited to actually see Australia II while she was out of the water.  Her winged keel was so sexy!  I hated that spoiled Dennis Conners (US boat) and finally the Aussie took the America's Cup with a lot of guts and grace.  Did you watch the America's Cup race in San Francisco with the high performance cats?  They were doing 40 knots around the mark, flying on both foils!

I don't do much sailing anymore but I really miss flying the Hobie 16 (under the influence of Tequila, of course), dialing her in for max speed and longest flight across San Diego Mission Bay.  My latest trick was to actually beach her while the windward hull was still flying.  And then I would gently ease her down for a soft landing.  

Thanks for the memories Frosty!  Here's a clip of America's Cup 2013:

Edited by Jake
  • Like 1

BobP
Posted
Posted

This topic is an off shoot from JamesMussleWhite's boat building project.  Didn't realize there are other members that enjoy sailing a yacht or a sloop rig vessel (single mast with jib and mainsail).  I got my Red Cross sailing certificate in Lake Michigan during my early days in the US Navy (1970).  I re-enlisted 6 years later and used my re-enlistment bonus to buy a brand new Hobie Catamaran 16 footer.  Many years later, i got into windsurfing and still addicted to speed and more speed.....he, he.

Hope you enjoy my blogs (4 parts series) about my chronic addiction:  

http://www.philippines-expats.com/blog/22/entry-32-art-and-science-of-sailing/  part 1

http://www.philippines-expats.com/blog/24/entry-33-part-2-art-and-science-of-sailing/

attachicon.gifCardiff by the Sea Babe.PNG

http://www.philippines-expats.com/blog/25/entry-34-part-3-the-thrill-of-speed/

http://www.philippines-expats.com/blog/26/entry-35-part-4-windsurfing/

Man, you guys make sailing sound like FUN!  I have always been adventurous and pretty athletic, but have never tried sailing. Would love to try it!  Is there such a Hobie or sailboat where a 2nd person can ride as a passenger and not have to actually help sail?  Thanks guys!  Love this forum!  :dance:  :attention:

• Like 1

Thomas
Posted
Posted
Man, you guys make sailing sound like FUN! I have always been adventurous and pretty athletic, but have never tried sailing. Would love to try it! Is there such a Hobie or sailboat where a 2nd person can ride as a passenger and not have to actually help sail?
Sure. If doing long legs (=not need to turn any often) then there are much time when not working person isn't disturbing in the way, if just move to the other side when needing too.

Actualy I had only sailed very litle in a mini sail boat back when I were 10 years old, when an experienced sailor asked me if I wanted to be in their 3 person compeete team!!! He wanted ME to handle the strategy although I had NEVER compeeted in sailing and never been at a biger sailboat!!!   :bash:    :hystery:  I GUESS he had seen my strategy skill from coaching basket and chess teams in that city. 

I did read the rule book and moved paperclips as "boats"   :mocking:   at a table to think out strategies for different situations. After only 10 exersises we finnished second between two boats, which went to World Championship qualifications the week after!

I "invented" a move, which experienced sailors found impossible  :lol:  (= Pass at the NOT wind side. It was possible to FOOL opponent we will try to pass at the wind side, so they turn to block us there. Then they lose speed, so we could pass at "impossible" side.)

Because of my inexperience and I didn't have "sea legs" (=to bad ballance to stand up without holding in something) we had to split the work very different than the others where used too. (Beside the strategy, I were the "kamikase pilot" who had to run to the front and unstuck things, when the others messed up something there   :mocking:  Plus I handled the spinnaker, but because of my missing "sea legs" I needed assistance to get it up.)

So it's possible for YOU to do something useful too at a sailboat  :)   with just a litle exersise so you know what to do. 

• Like 2

Jake
Posted
Posted (edited)

Man, you guys make sailing sound like FUN!  I have always been adventurous and pretty athletic, but have never tried sailing. Would love to try it! Is there such a Hobie or sailboat where a 2nd person can ride as a passenger and not have to actually help sail?  Thanks guys!  Love this forum! 

Hello Bob,

It's quite obvious that my passion or addiction is being out in the open waters, sailing all day when the winds are howling! Just like Chris49 riding his bike for miles and miles, Frosty, Methersgate, Thomas, Scott H, Old55 and I (did I miss anybody else?) will always get that itch to go out during whitecaps conditions (about 12k of wind) and push the envelope to the point of abusing the sailboat.....he, he.

Teaching is another one of my passion, having taught every one of my family how to read the winds and take advantage of it.  My wife Judy for example took the Hobie out with one of her girlfriends, while I watched them through the binoculars. At a distance of 500 yards from the beach, Judy dumped the Hobie with both of them thrown into the water.  Within a few seconds, this guy on a nice speed boat came over to assist.  The mast is airtight, which made it easy for the guy to simply raise the top of mast out of the water.

The girls scurried back on board, waving and giggling at the same time.  When they came back, I ask what was that all about.  The girlfriend felt embarrassed and confessed finally that she had the hots for the guy.  Not surprisingly, Judy played along.  

I'm sure there are nearby beach resorts in your area that has Hobie cats or other sail boats for rentals and sailing instructions.  Just like learning how to ride a bicycle, it becomes natural, everything committed to muscle memory. Please go out and try it.....it will be one of your important landmarks enjoying the tropical waters of the Philippines.  

Respectfully -- Jake  

PS -- I could have you sailing solo in just one afternoon.  The hardest part is you not spilling any of your beer!

Edited by Jake
  • Like 3

Medic Mike
Posted
Posted

Jake, sailing is one of my favourite things. When I finally settle full time in PI, I will try and find myself a boat over here. Probably will end up living on Bantayan Island, so will have to find a nice hobie, or even catamaran that I can pull up on the beach next to the out-laws :)

• Like 2

frosty (chris)
Posted
Posted

Man, you guys make sailing sound like FUN!  I have always been adventurous and pretty athletic, but have never tried sailing. Would love to try it! Is there such a Hobie or sailboat where a 2nd person can ride as a passenger and not have to actually help sail?  Thanks guys!  Love this forum! 

Hello Bob,

It's quite obvious that my passion or addiction is being out in the open waters, sailing all day when the winds are howling! Just like Chris49 riding his bike for miles and miles, Frosty, Methersgate, Thomas, Scott H, Old55 and I (did I miss anybody else?) will always get that itch to go out during whitecaps conditions (about 12k of wind) and push the envelope to the point of abusing the sailboat.....he, he.

Teaching is another one of my passion, having taught every one of my family how to read the winds and take advantage of it.  My wife Judy for example took the Hobie out with one of her girlfriends, while I watched them through the binoculars. At a distance of 500 yards from the beach, Judy dumped the Hobie with both of them thrown into the water.  Within a few seconds, this guy on a nice speed boat came over to assist.  The mast is airtight, which made it easy for the guy to simply raise the top of mast out of the water.

The girls scurried back on board, waving and giggling at the same time.  When they came back, I ask what was that all about.  The girlfriend felt embarrassed and confessed finally that she had the hots for the guy.  Not surprisingly, Judy played along.  

I'm sure there are nearby beach resorts in your area that has Hobie cats or other sail boats for rentals and sailing instructions.  Just like learning how to ride a bicycle, it becomes natural, everything committed to muscle memory. Please go out and try it.....it will be one of your important landmarks enjoying the tropical waters of the Philippines.  

Respectfully -- Jake  

PS -- I could have you sailing solo in just one afternoon.  The hardest part is you not spilling any of your beer!

Funny thing here you don't see a lot of sailboats out and about, would really like to get my hands on a Hobie Cat but it's only wishful thinking, sometimes we go down to the beach and you see all that water with a good breeze and not a sail in sight.

I see the new Hobie Cats now have a little compartment built into one of the hulls so you can store you beer and ice, it's down aft too so in easy reach.

• Like 3