Baseball And The Pinoy

Medic Mike
Posted
Posted

I know basketball is such a huge thing inside all the baranguys. I never played varsity basketball, I was always more of a baseball player. 

So I have been teaching the local kids to play catch etc...all I need to find is an area big enough for a small field :)

• Like 2

Larry45
Posted
Posted

Yeah, it's a common discussion here about why Filipinos chose basketball instead of baseball to be their main sport.  They learned both from Americans, yet they didn't seem to understand that baseball didn't put such a premium on height, as does basketball.  It's just one of those things where you don't ask 'why', as it will drive you crazy.   Good for you on promoting baseball...a sport for which the locals are much better equipped    :thumbsup:

Hey Steve
Posted
Posted

I asked my wife her opinion on this since she got caught up in the sport (heck were in KC and in the World Series right now vs NY). Anyway it's a matter of economics and paying for all the equipment needed (gloves, catcher's gear, bats, etc) vs, well..just a basketball. Personally I think they would love the sport if it would ever catch on one day.

• Like 2

chris49
Posted
Posted (edited)

I asked my wife her opinion on this since she got caught up in the sport (heck were in KC and in the World Series right now vs NY). Anyway it's a matter of economics and paying for all the equipment needed (gloves, catcher's gear, bats, etc) vs, well..just a basketball. Personally I think they would love the sport if it would ever catch on one day.

Quite interesting after Syndegaard went high inside on Escobar and almost hit him in the head, as the Mets won Game 3. Then Murphy made the high school error to allow the lead run to score in Game 4.

Yes all what you said plus the number of players to fill out a baseball roster, 9 plus the reserves and relief pitchers, vs 12 or less for a basketball squad. I don't think they can catch up to Japan, Korea, China.....Japan in particular is like AAA level in the USA. Whereas in basketball despite losing, they are at least competitive. And they use Phil Ams and black American's at the pro level in the PBA.

San Mig sponsors the PBA and has 3 teams in there under various names. The PBA has a gambling system, bet on the winning numbers, and attracts the celebs because it's a glamour sport here. Kris Aquino got married to James Yap.

Soccer used Angel Locsin when she dated Phil Younghusband. Baseball doesn't have anyone up to now. The PBA has the college system but baseball has no feeder system up to now.

Edited by chris49

Larry45
Posted
Posted

Quite interesting after Syndegaard went high inside on Escobar and almost hit him in the head, as the Mets won Game 3. Then Murphy made the high school error to allow the lead run to score in Game 4.

Yes all what you said plus the number of players to fill out a baseball roster, 9 plus the reserves and relief pitchers, vs 12 or less for a basketball squad. I don't think they can catch up to Japan, Korea, China.....Japan in particular is like AAA level in the USA. Whereas in basketball despite losing, they are at least competitive. And they use Phil Ams and black American's at the pro level in the PBA.

San Mig sponsors the PBA and has 3 teams in there under various names. The PBA has a gambling system, bet on the winning numbers, and attracts the celebs because it's a glamour sport here. Kris Aquino got married to James Yap.

Soccer used Angel Locsin when she dated Phil Younghusband. Baseball doesn't have anyone up to now. The PBA has the college system but baseball has no feeder system up to now.

LOL, Chris....everyone here knows why Filipinos choose basketball instead of baseball these days. And Angel Locsin...LOL!.   The bigger question is WHY did the locals choose that sport a hundred years ago?  I grew up playing stickball during baseball season and the expense was almost zero.  We didn't need 9 players plus reserves, and we didnt even use gloves.  Most of us went on to play baseball at a much higher level.   Let's just all agree to blame it all on Phil Younghusband!   lol  

• Like 1

Jake
Posted
Posted

I know basketball is such a huge thing inside all the baranguys. I never played varsity basketball, I was always more of a baseball player. 

So I have been teaching the local kids to play catch etc...all I need to find is an area big enough for a small field :)

It's a matter of economics.  As Hey Steve mentioned, you need 9 set of gloves and a couple bats to be shared by both teams.  And then a clear, level and large playing field -- hard to come by, as compared to a small basketball area, sometimes played on the street or corner.  

As far as promoting team sport activities, may I suggest Mike that you continue beach clean up with the one with the most trash bags collected get a couple pizzas or something.  Meanwhile, perhaps get with the village chief or mayor and bend his ear about location and equipment to support the very first professional baseball team on the island.  

Can you train some cheerleaders as well?  

Medic Mike
Posted
Posted

I have my eye on this vacant lot in the area...would not take a lot of work to get it game ready. I might start with a softball game, rules are less complicated, and can be played in a pinch with no gloves :).

• Like 2

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted

My wife tells me it is mostly about the weather.  You can play basketball under cover, or even hang a hoop in the shade of a big tree if the barangay does not have a covered court.

Medic Mike
Posted
Posted

My wife tells me it is mostly about the weather.  You can play basketball under cover, or even hang a hoop in the shade of a big tree if the barangay does not have a covered court.

I love the game, when I was 19 i got a chance to try out for the "Show"...however did not make the cut...but still love the game and have played ever since. I am going to put a fair bit of money into it in my small patch of Cebu to see if I can get a couple of teams of kids fielded.

mogo51
Posted
Posted

What is Baseball?  Is it the same as cricket?????

Not for me I am sorry.  I am also  a Rugby League freak, so when our star player Jerrod Haynes went to US and trialed with 49ers?

there was massive coverage in Oz.  Alas he got the guillotine on the weekend, many saying unfairly.  He is a great Rugby League player and should return to Oz and be one!!!!

• Like 1