Safety On Pinoy Ferries

Medic Mike
Posted
Posted

In the light of the ferry disasters that seem to occur often, I was wondering if am the only Navy man on the forum that takes safety precautions when traveling on pinoy ferries. 

I always make sure I know who can swim and not swim in my small traveling parties, where the life preservers are, and make sure if the ferry capsizes we are in an area we can get out quickly. Am I a nervous nelly, or does this go through anyones else's mind when they travel by ferry around the islands.

• Like 3

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
Am I a nervous nelly,

No Mike. Its called (as you know) situational awareness. Just comes from years of experience. Some of us have it, a whole lot more people in the world don't.

• Like 5

Jake
Posted
Posted

In the light of the ferry disasters that seem to occur often, I was wondering if am the only Navy man on the forum that takes safety precautions when traveling on pinoy ferries. 

I always make sure I know who can swim and not swim in my small traveling parties, where the life preservers are, and make sure if the ferry capsizes we are in an area we can get out quickly. Am I a nervous nelly, or does this go through anyones else's mind when they travel by ferry around the islands.

Although I've seen a happy go lucky attitude among the crew, I will always have reservations about the apparent overloaded conditions of vehicles, trucks and passengers, especially during moderate seas.  I would wait for the next one, grabbing another beer at the pier.

Not only the availability of life preservers but also its condition, like the straps and buckles.  I'm not a nervous nelly, just a careful one.

• Like 1

Medic Mike
Posted
Posted

Although I've seen a happy go lucky attitude among the crew, I will always have reservations about the apparent overloaded conditions of vehicles, trucks and passengers, especially during moderate seas.  I would wait for the next one, grabbing another beer at the pier.

Not only the availability of life preservers but also its condition, like the straps and buckles.  I'm not a nervous nelly, just a careful one.

I like your style Jake. I am constantly amazed that the crew don't do any safety briefings before departure, ie where the life preservers are etc.

Medic Mike
Posted
Posted

Am I a nervous nelly,

No Mike. Its called (as you know) situational awareness. Just comes from years of experience. Some of us have it, a whole lot more people in the world don't.

The ferry I ride the most is the one to Bantayan Island, and that one is more a big landing craft than a ferry. I am very aware when it is loaded up with vehicles and cargo, and where I sit just in case the craft does a Titanic :)

• Like 1

mogo51
Posted
Posted

Warning, Warning, Iceberg onthe starboard side!

• Like 3

Guy F.
Posted
Posted (edited)

Mrs F doesn't swim, and I've never had to remind her to be aware of where the life preservers are when we're on a boat. On an aircraft before takeoff I always count the number of rows between us and the emergency exit. That would be a handy thing to know in case of emergency evacuation from a smoke-filled aircraft.

Edited by Guy F.
  • Like 2

Medic Mike
Posted
Posted

Mrs F doesn't swim, and I've never had to remind her to be aware of where the life preservers are when we're on a boat. On an aircraft before takeoff I always count the number of rows between us and the emergency exit. That would be a handy thing to know in case of emergency evacuation from a smoke-filled aircraft.

No problems there...I always try and scam a seat in the emergency row.. :dance:  :dance:  :dance:

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted

One of things I made sure to send over prior to our move was three fishing vests that we would use when out on the water.  These are easy to put on, comfortable to wear for long periods, and not bulky like the many life jackets.  I know they are not "as good" as the big jobs designed to keep your head out of the water even if unconscious.  We have not taken any ferry trips yet, but we will both be wearing them during any trips.  I would much rather be wearing a comfortable, good vest, than being in a stampede to locate a vest that may or may not be waterlogged, may or may not fit.  In warm water, relatively close to land and/or other watercraft already wearing a good vest is better that trying to find and put on a great vest.   :)  

StayAtHomeDad
Posted
Posted

Any pointers on the best places to stand/sit on a ferry so can escape easier/faster if something does happen?