Maids...helpers....

bows00
Posted
Posted

One thing that is not discussed enough are all the liabilities connected to a maid. Even if she pans out the way you expect, wouldn't she naturally become a part of the family? And wouldn't you be obligated to eventually take care of her as she gets older? Her medical? Her family emergencies?

forget_it
Posted
Posted

Finding someone you can trust is very hard. And that's not just in the Philippines. We tried family members and total strangers as maids, and I couldn't tell much difference. There are just too many "emergencies" and once you help, it never seems to stop. There are big security issues to think about as well, that I won't even get into (other than to say we were robbed once by the maid's ex boyfriend).

My wife is happy without a maid now. She likes knowing her things will still be there when we go home. And she likes the extra money we are saving by not paying a maid and covering "emergencies" all the time. She doesn't work as hard as she did at her parents home and she proved to herself that doing nothing just made her fat. She is far from an abused slave. If that was the case I would be one too, because we do about the same amount of work, even though I'm the only one supplying the money.

We had a driver for awhile and it was almost the same experience. Now the car and driver are both gone and I'm a lot happier. 

• Like 4

Hey Steve
Posted
Posted

My wife and I just plan on having a laudry person once or twice a week in a shaded area/cold drink/lunch with all the cleaning products she needs to do her work but with no access to entering the house.

• Like 2

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

My wife and I just plan on having a laudry person once or twice a week in a shaded area/cold drink/lunch with all the cleaning products she needs to do her work but with no access to entering the house.

You Mean man  :hystery:  I do Hope you got an Outside C/R

Jack :thumbsup:

• Like 2

frosty (chris)
Posted
Posted

We have enough trouble when some of her family come to visit with things used, broken, borrowed, never seen again. Now she works we send the hard to wash items, towels, sheets, jeans to the laundry, costs about 100 pesos a week, I do most of the cooking which I like and the shopping, gives me a chance to check out the eye candy at the markets :hystery:. The house is always clean, maybe untidy at times but doesn't take long to clean but we are happy with this arrangement.

• Like 3

Hey Steve
Posted
Posted

You Mean man  :hystery:  I do Hope you got an Outside C/R

Jack :thumbsup:

OMG! :omg:  I just talked to my wife,Jack.!! We got to circle back on this one now and regroup. Sheesh!!

Thomas
Posted
Posted (edited)
she wanted us to supply shower soap-toothpaste etc etc

That's actualy included in the Domestic Helper law  :)

Once you prepay them, you have lost ALL control.

That I said to (in general) and were bashed for in an other topic  :)

The best maid, is no maid, if you can make it without one. Experienced all the problems listed here and more. In the long run, it's safer and cheaper to do without help. Also, the wife has almost lost the 25 pounds she gained while we tried to keep a maid for 2 years.

I will not allow any maid (except some assistance when making BIG cleaning a few times per year, and around birth of kids). That will be a part of the deal reached BEFORE marriage, because I don't want other people inside my home. Left to see if my future wife will follow it   :mocking:

I will do some of the household work myself, perhaps 1/4, the wife will do most.

Edit: I forgot to tell paying to get laundry done, I will find ok, if we don't buy a laundry mashine. I haven't decided yet if I will vote for a laundry mashine or supporting locals a bit by paying a laundry lady done ELSEWHERE than in my house.

Edited by Thomas
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
russellmania
Posted
Posted

One thing that is not discussed enough are all the liabilities connected to a maid. Even if she pans out the way you expect, wouldn't she naturally become a part of the family? And wouldn't you be obligated to eventually take care of her as she gets older? Her medical? Her family emergencies?

That's EXACTLY why I wanted a stay out helper that would clean a couple of times a week. I didn want to become emotionally involved in her personal life.

• Like 1

Methersgate
Posted
Posted (edited)

K, when living on her own with a small boy in the Philippines, had the perfect maid / yaya. She was in her fifties, an Ilocana, married to a taxi driver, lived out but came to the house each day. Expert, wise, diligent.

An older Ilocana working for a younger Visayan is a little unusual, but it worked very well indeed.

What went wrong?

She died.

K now in Britain - the image of her coming down the stairs yesterday  with fluffy slippers on her feet and with her hair in a "Mrs Mop" type kerchief, holding a huge basket of laundry will stick with me for a while...a photo would definitely have been a mistake, and would have reduced my life expectancy...  

Edited by Methersgate
  • Like 4

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

.a photo would definitely have been a mistake, and would have reduced my life expectancy...  

post-2148-0-63180100-1447837344.png  :hystery: