Cebu City Safe As A Whole For An American?

yankees652
Posted
Posted

I met a girl i love on okcupid and she lives in cebu city. I live in the USA. I plan to visit her in may, she says Cebu City is safe and i believe her. But my coworkers keep saying the philippines is bad, and that my life is at risk if i go there. What i keep telling them that it is mindanao that is not safe i guess according to the travel warnings posted by the US government, but they keep saying don't go. Now do you people who live in cebu city who is an american feel safe in cebu city? are the natives friendly?

Jake
Posted
Posted (edited)

I met a girl i love on okcupid and she lives in cebu city. I live in the USA. I plan to visit her in may, she says Cebu City is safe and i believe her. But my coworkers keep saying the philippines is bad, and that my life is at risk if i go there. What i keep telling them that it is mindanao that is not safe i guess according to the travel warnings posted by the US government, but they keep saying don't go. Now do you people who live in cebu city who is an american feel safe in cebu city? are the natives friendly?

Hello Yankee,

I think the question should be -- is that girl you have never met, safe for you?  Nevertheless, we are here to advise you all the pros and cons about living anywhere in PI.  Unfortunately, you must expect some differing opinions for any particular place.  We all have our unique qualities of life and tolerance level.  

Most of the time, your first location is already established by the woman you're going to meet.  This will be your very first checkpoint or reality check.  Please, proceed with caution.  Those spears come silent and deep...he, he.

Respectfully -- Jake

Edited by Jake
  • Like 3

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
my coworkers keep saying the philippines is bad

Either they are teasing you or they have never been here.  You are more at risk from your new love scamming you than anything else.

• Like 5

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

only planning a 7 day visit

:no:  Crisky by the time our Friend gets over the Journey it will be time to Go Home.post-2148-0-35195400-1446876302.gif

Jack

• Like 1

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
But my coworkers keep saying the philippines is bad, and that my life is at risk if i go there

Like Mike J says, you are pretty much as safe or unsafe as you make yourself. I have only driven through Texas, and have been to San Antonio a time or two with the Army. But I would be willing to bet that there are areas there where you would tell me I would be crazy to go :thumbsup: . Same here (and else where in the world with the exception of war zones). Use a bit of common sense, don't flash your money, don't get drunk and pass out under a street lamp (if you can find one :hystery: ) and you should be fine.

As to your coworkers, I think we all go through this. They usually fall into two types. Ex USA military who pretty much raised hell here when they got off the ship and have the memories of a 20 year old kid on liberty. Or the type that are afraid of traveling to the next town because they use green salsa instead of red on their wet burritos.

Welcome Yankee,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,there are a lot of topics here about relationships and such which you can browse and ask questions as things develop (I suggest you pay attention to topics that deal with the Filipino family dynamic and the American boyfriends.)

Have fun :cheersty:

• Like 4

expatuk2014
Posted
Posted

I knew anything about the Philippines back in 2001 !!

I met my wife on what was then Friendfinder. we chatted on the internet every day.

I proposed to her without meeting her face to face ! I bought a book about the Philippines read every page of it.

I made my first trip to this lovely country in 2002 which is when we got married !

if your GF is anything like my wife she will show you where to go and where not to go being a Foriegner !

My advice to you my friend is read this forum very carefully you will find all the answers you need !

This website is the best out there for expats !! it covers everything you will need to know about the Philippines.

one thing you need to remember is the Philippines is nothing like the US !! it is a very unique country.

treat the people with respect and they will treat you with respect !

And Family comes first !

• Like 3